• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Blocked/Banned IP?

gimp

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
10,583
so... earlier today, I was able to access [H] forums just fine from work.
can't remember what time, but started having a few issues; was getting timeouts. Then was working again. Then crapped out, and crapped out for good.

I'm only having the issue from work. Now, the network at work does have a Bluecoat proxy/web filtering appliance.
The error message received is not due to a web filter.

This is the error message provided by the Bluecoat appliance:

reason for failure Network Error (tcp_error)
current HTTP time Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:30:03 GMT
HTTP Request Method GET
URL requested http://hardforum.com/
Content filtering result DENIED
Categories applied to URL Computers/Internet;Newsgroups/Forums
summary Network Error
help This error could be due to network congestion or the remote webserver not responding. You may wish to try again at a later time.

I get the same error regardless of the URL; hardforum.com, hardforums.com, www.hardforum.com, www.hardforums.com

If the forum was being blocked due to the web filter, I would (normally) see the following:
reason for failure Access Denied (policy_denied)

So I guess my question is; do you ban IPs? If so, what kind of error message would be provided by someone trying to access from a banned IP?

I'd rather not post the IP openly in the forums, but the last 2 octets of the 2 external facing interfaces on Bluecoat are: 224.33 and 224.35
 
So I guess my question is; do you ban IPs? If so, what kind of error message would be provided by someone trying to access from a banned IP?

I'd rather not post the IP openly in the forums, but the last 2 octets of the 2 external facing interfaces on Bluecoat are: 224.33 and 224.35
We usually only IP ban as a last resort to deal with persistently problematic users, and we try to make sure there won't be collateral damage.

That said, I copied the list of currently banned IPs into Notepad to search and found nothing with the octets you mentioned.
 
We usually only IP ban as a last resort to deal with persistently problematic users, and we try to make sure there won't be collateral damage.

That said, I copied the list of currently banned IPs into Notepad to search and found nothing with the octets you mentioned.

I didn't figure that was it, just wanted to make sure :)

probably just the appliance(s) going on the fritz again. But it's Friday, so meh. :p
 
possibly a content filter on your works gateway/dhcp server. It could pick up on certain types of sites and deny access. Does it work today?
 
still no go today. Same error. But then I also saw the post about lack of comments links on some stories and Lethal mentioned that author guy was having trouble accessing the forums also... Wonder if it's related?

Oh and not web filter related. I said what the respective errors are dependent upon whether or not its a filter block in my OP

the reason for error is network error (tcp_error)

a communication error occurred: "operation timed out"
It even specifically states it is not due to a web filtering block
 
Last edited:
I am getting the same thing at my job. I am using United States Government filtered computers but I have been able to access hardforum fine for years until a couple of days ago. This is really odd. I get the same problem too, some timeout error. I'll have to screen cap it tomorrow at work.
 
I am getting the same thing at my job. I am using United States Government filtered computers but I have been able to access hardforum fine for years until a couple of days ago. This is really odd. I get the same problem too, some timeout error. I'll have to screen cap it tomorrow at work.

I am using a government computer (USCG workstation) and havent experienced any of these problems....
 
Well I'm glad it's not just me :p
although I did goof up the IPs, although I'm sure that's not it... 224.33 and 224.34
not 35

issue started at probably... 11am or 12pm noon Pacific time on Friday
 
Having the exact same issue at work. The weird thing is it works on a different computer at work but not my main one.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Having the exact same issue at work. The weird thing is it works on a different computer at work but not my main one.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

hm... I'll hafta hook my laptop up when I get in tomorrow and see if it works. And check my other desktop. For some reason didn't think to try that
 
if its working on 1 computer and not the other.. it could possibly be due to a cookie issue when the site was taken down.. may want to do the usual cookie/temp file cleaning and see what happens..
 
if its working on 1 computer and not the other.. it could possibly be due to a cookie issue when the site was taken down.. may want to do the usual cookie/temp file cleaning and see what happens..

Did that with flushing the dns cache and nothing.
 
Now the other computer is doing the same thing???
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
just started working again, out of the blue.

back to my regularly scheduled [H] browsing
 
I'm having the same problem. Forums work for me at an on and off basis. You never know when you can connect, its like a game.
 
I'm having the same problem. Forums work for me at an on and off basis. You never know when you can connect, its like a game.

well, it worked fine until ~11am Friday morning Pacific time. Went out a couple times, but was back within a couple minutes each time. Thought there might just be an issue with the forums again since I could reach the homepage fine.

But then it went out for good, guesstimating about 12pm noon Pacific time.
Thought forums were just having issues, but then I went home for lunch and checked from home, and saw they were working. Got back to work and still no go, so then checked it on my phone which worked.

It did not work at all until sometime after 12pm noon this afternoon. Granted it was the weekend so I was obviously not at work, but it was dead all afternoon on Friday.

Checking everything I can, it does not appear our networking folks did anything; they did make a change on Wednesday morning so HTTPS requests went through the filter/proxy, but according to them, only on limited social-networking sites, and only HTTPS requests.

They have not made any notifications of any changes, anyway.

edit: although, it does appear they made some other changes to the network last night that's affecting a couple applications that shoot down to the states on a dedicated link of sorts; but that change was last night.
 
Back
Top