Block torrent and other P2P traffic

maz1324

n00b
I am looking for a solution that will block torrent and other p2p traffic on my network. Often friends will bring over their laptops when they come over. I tell them that I don't want any p2p traffic on my network. I want to ensure illegal filesharing isn't taking place. There are too many people being sued over copyright infringement.

Right now I am using the Actiontec router (MI424WR, I think). I have the ability to block torrent websites by entering domain names and site keywords, but that doesn't prevent torrents that are already running. I also have a linksys router running dd-wrt laying around, but I'm not sure if that has any additional features that will help out.

From my research the issue with blocking torrents is that just about using any port.

Does anyone have any recommendations on blocking torrents on my network? Obviously I could deny access to anyone but myself, but that is not the route I want to take.

set up a static ip for your computer.
you should then be able to set up some rules giving you open access to everything,
but for other IPs to only allow 80, 443, 119, 25
not foolproof but should mostly work

When you have to lockdown your network for your friends because they won't follow your rules I think its time you find new friends.

Easiest and most effective way to block unwanted traffic on your network would be to implement a UTM Firewall with Astaro Home or Untangle. You'll need a space PC with two network cards, it will replace your router and hook up between your modem and AP. You get web filtering, malware filtering, protocol control, etc at the hardware level before it makes it to your internal network.

Set up a separate guest wireless network and only allow a few normal ports.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What kind of specs would I be looking at for an untangle server that on average runs 3-4 networked devices with probably a max of 10. Would a dual core atom would be sufficient?

DD-WRT should be able to do this.
Deviationer, is there a specific feature that you are referring to? I haven't done much with dd-wrt and there is a good chance I overlooked something in the options.

What kind of specs would I be looking at for an untangle server that on average runs 3-4 networked devices with probably a max of 10. Would a dual core atom would be sufficient?

Yes, that should work just fine. Make sure you get 2GB of RAM. Untangle likes RAM and its still cheap so you might as well fill it up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Deviationer, is there a specific feature that you are referring to? I haven't done much with dd-wrt and there is a good chance I overlooked something in the options.

goto the DD-WRT forums and wiki. I don't know what feature or how to set it up. But I have read on the DD-WRT that it is possible.

Back