Block streaming media

sn2op

Gawd
I really need to block streaming media on my network. I'd like to do it solely by blocking ports. Can someone give me some tips on how to block streaming from my network? Maybe a comprehensive port listing? It seems there are tons of ports and even port 80 can be used.

How can I prevent streaming by my users? I'm tired of the bandwidth issues.

From a quick look, it didn't look like you can filter by protocol. Without protocol filtering, your best bet is just to deny traffic from the top ten IP addresses from which your users are streaming traffic.

If its anything like our workplace, taking out traffic from radio.msn.com and player.xmradio.com and a few others will make a big difference in your Internet traffic load.

That, along with an email, sent from someone with sufficiently high up in IT saying the business reason and policies that are being followed in so doing, should take care of your issue.

If you need to allow access to streaming media for some users and not others, you are going to need either a proxy with protocol blocking and user authtentication (we use ISA Server 2004), or the ability to exception IP address ranges for users on priviledged vlans to allow access.

Nothing like a CIO whining that he can't get streaming radio from his hometown in Sweden to get a proxy project rolling. :rolleyes:

Well, I can block ports (or a port range) based on whether or not it's TCP/UDP packet type as well as just block simple URLs.

Back