Block Lapping

AndrewPr

n00b
I know it isn't done much anymore as mfg's are pretty good about getting a nice mirror finish, but I obtained a waterblock that was less than loved.

When i got it.
qwSz0Z6.jpg

After some patience and sandpaper
wLjmXMy.jpg

pretty proud of that change!

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Tell us about your process! Did you use a specific step of abrasives? Did you put the block in a fixed position or the abrasive in a fixed position? I love hearing how other people approach these as I have my own way. I'll say this, I ALWAYS finish up my block lapping with a hand polish with Simichrome. It's cheap from Amazon. 1 Tube lasts a loooong time.

Wet/Dry sandpaper from 400-2000 grit. I got a piece of 8x10 glass to make sure the base stayed good and flat.

I just made passes up and down the wet sandpaper with the block applying even pressure (I did use a bit of dish soap on the heatsink base, it seemed to trap a lot of the copper in the soap vs the sandpaper) I made sure to rotate the block every so often as well. Spent about 20-30 mins on each grit of sandpaper. I could have gone up much higher than 2000 but I think the finish will be good enough to get solid temps out of the water-cooled system it will go into.

Back