Block Kazaa Lite

KENNYB

2[H]4U
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i think it is a security risk. I've caught my roommate using K-Lite and i've already got my ISP watching me because they received a complaint about spam coming from my IP address. Maybe his box is infected but i'd like to do something to prevent this from happening again. We connect through a Linkysys WRT54G router. What can i do?

Best bet is to just talk to him about it. Does he pay for part of it? Then you really have no right to go around arbitrarily blocking him from anything. Discuss the security and legal issues involved, and see if he will agree to stop using it.

No he doesn't pay for it. I have talked to him about it but short of cutting him off he sneaks around but i know when there is a loss of bandwidth.

Blocking port 1214 will keep him from uploading files which can keep you from getting caught by the authorities. Some versions use other ports in the lower 1200's too.

So he doesn't pay for it at all? If he wont listen, cut his ass off.

I assume he's doing illegal stuff on there? It's one thing for him to do it and risk his own neck, but when he risks yours too then that's where you've got to draw the line.
I dont know a lot about K-Lite but if it's like Kazaa, then it's gonna be hard to block because it can tunnel through HTTP port 80. However, if I remember Kazaa correctly, it didn't work worth a shit behind a NAT device unless you forwarded ports or put yourself in DMZ mode.

Boscoh said:
So he doesn't pay for it at all? If he wont listen, cut his ass off.

I assume he's doing illegal stuff on there? It's one thing for him to do it and risk his own neck, but when he risks yours too then that's where you've got to draw the line.
I dont know a lot about K-Lite but if it's like Kazaa, then it's gonna be hard to block because it can tunnel through HTTP port 80. However, if I remember Kazaa correctly, it didn't work worth a shit behind a NAT device unless you forwarded ports or put yourself in DMZ mode.
Yeah it likes to tunnel through port 80 so i guess i have no choice to cut him off if he does it again. He uses it for the same reason other people use it for, mainly music. What software can use to monitor my network and nail him when i see K-Lite traffic again?

If it's a switched network and you dont have access to a SPAN port then it might be difficult to monitor the network.

Unless you put software on his PC to look for K-Lite then you'll have to have something filtering his packets on the network. The way to do that would be to put something between your friend and the switch, or between the router and your modem. For example, you can put a hub between the router and the cable modem, plug an old PC into it and put Ethereal or some other type of monitoring software on it. If you wanted to, you could even use something like Squid on a linux box and do it that way.

If your ISP has already threatened you, then cut him off. Let him pay for his own wifi or internet service. You don't have to suffer for this illegal activities. If this was me, I would either cut him off or jack his computer and make it look like an accident. :p

if it was me and my isp threatened or warned me, and they werent paying me...
and I had told them to stop and they continued, then I would completely cut them off.
let them get their own internet.

jaqie said:
and I had told them to stop and they continued, then I would completely cut them off.
I would do the same.

jaqie said:

3rd that one. Cut him off if he doesn't listen.

If hes putting you in danger (it sounds like he is) then cut that asshole off. Or you can accidently crash his computer and tell him K-Lite got infected with a virus or something that can crash your computer. Newbs believe that stuff :D

if you want you can build a server box the denies kazaa lite. or all kazaa traffic in general.
nbar is the software youll need...

i agree with teh above about stop letting him use ur bandwidth,

BUT. . . lets just give him the benifit of the doubt, and he stopped using kazaa or lite, maybe it could be an outisde intruder using your bandwidth?

and if that's true, then stopping whatever port to let kazaa run is good too. . .

Those reasons above are good but I don't think that Kenny has that money to blow because you have to buy the server and buy the software.

bealzz said:
if you want you can build a server box the denies kazaa lite. or all kazaa traffic in general.
nbar is the software youll need...
To the best of my knowledge, NBAR is only available on Cisco devices. Do you know of a software package for servers that includes NBAR? If so, please share...

You could (on his machine :( :rolleyes: ) edit the hosts file to redirect all kazaa and kazaa lite traffic to 127.0.0.1

One real-world thing we must all keep in mind. While of course, in theory, the guy should be cut off, sometimes it's not simply a matter of saying "You're cut off." Especially if the guy likes his downloaded music and is his roomate. KennyB may be looking for a solution that avoids a potential roomate problem, which are bad.

Well, with me if I was in potential LEGAL TROUBLE over something someone else was doing I wouldnt care about the ramifications id cut it off.

In KennyB's situation, the immediate risk of a roomate problem, may outweigh any far into the future looming legal risk. He may need to make a calculated risk. And nobody ever wants to be in that position. lol Hear the wisdom of these words? I am certainly in no way condoning file sharing. But the possibility of legal ramification is slim. The possibility of roomate ramification may be very real and something to consider. Life is not the TV show Friends. Alot of times, maybe not so much in cozy college off-campus apartments, but alot of times, people must deal with real-life stuff first and foremost. Getting sued for file sharing may be a risk he has to take, the lesser of two evils. This is real-world stuff I'm talking about, hopefully KennyB can just cut off his roommate, but sometimes there is no opportunity to enforce the rules. If you say he would then need to move out, if his roomate was so bad, again, it's a calculated risk, and maybe the slight slight chance of legal ramification is worth taking, rather than moving out, finding a new place, maybe making a real enemy(enemies) in the neighborhood, and trying to keep doing his thing.

KennyB, if you can cut him off, do it, and hopefully you do not relate to a word I'm saying :) But if you feel it's not worth it, because of real-world stuff, that's life, and that's a real-world decision for you to make. Me personally I don't think you'll get sued anytime soon, but most of the people here who have spoken do. I hope you find the technical answer you're looking for, if you do, don't forget to post it.

encrypt your connection using WPA (i think that's what the linksys router uses doesn't it?) and dont use a passphrase, use a full 64-digit key. most passphrases only use like 40-bit encryption (that's 8-12 character pass). that'd keep outside intruders out.

if he doesnt listen to you about stopping his usage of K-lite.... just cut him off.

also, why the f- are you letting him use your connection?? make the bitch start paying.. :rolleyes:

I know all about rl situations and being homeless. ive been homeless from age 18 to age 26. im 27 now, almolst 28. Ive also been in trouble with the law over no insurance on a car. believe me the legal trouble can be just as real as the homeless.

Back