Block ALL but 2 websites in IE

cmosdos

2[H]4U
I need to block all websites with the exception of two in IE. I've looked at all the options but I can't find anything that will block everything. Any ideas on how I can do this? Thanks!

Well, in my Clarkconnect router, with the content control feature, there is the option to block all web sites except those specificlly on your exception list. But that may not be what your looking for. If it is, check them out at www.clarkconnect.com

you could maybe send all web requests to a fake proxy server (like 127.0.0.1 for example) and check the box that says bypass proxy for local addresses and add the two addresses you want to view into "Advanced" and "Exceptions". Should work...

I think the clarkconnect thing is a bit too much. Running it through a fake proxy sort of worked. The problem is that if you try to browse to other sections in the "exception" site, it won't pull up.

really? have you only added the domain name of the "excemption site"? eg google.com

IE's Content Advisor?

Stick in the two sites on the 'always allow' list, turn every filter on and up to maximum. Unselect 'allow users to see sites without ratings' and bob's your uncle, filter++;

Originally posted by vinnie
IE's Content Advisor?

Stick in the two sites on the 'always allow' list, turn every filter on and up to maximum. Unselect 'allow users to see sites without ratings' and bob's your uncle, filter++;

Thinkin. ;)

Originally posted by AchTuNG!
take out the www's

"Whenever I tried just using google.com or cnn.com it wouldn't work."

Taking out the www still had the same effect. Couldn't access anything else on the site.

As for the Content Advisor... I tried that as well. Its even worse. Won't allow access to nothing and pops up a box to enter in a password.

Hrm... how can I make this thing work with everything on the site.

Okay, that sorta works, and sorta doesn't. It allows to get around most of the site without trouble. But, for some reason it didn't block everything. I had www.cnn.com and cnn.com as being always.

But, if i go to ibm.com or msn.com they all come up. Other sites like google do not.

reverse hostfile type of deal?

it'd be easy to block just 2 sites... hrm. is there an * option for hostfile's, anyone know?

Originally posted by plot
reverse hostfile type of deal?

it'd be easy to block just 2 sites... hrm. is there an * option for hostfile's, anyone know?

I spose you could remove your DNS records and add the two sites into the host file. wonder if that would work. anyway, isn't there like free win-proxy apps out there?

AchTung.... are you saying to remove the dns address in the network properties? Then use the host file to point to the address? Not sure how that works.

olaf2821... machine is running winxp pro. behind a router, but not on a domain.

mmm. yeah, but I was playing around with it, and it doesn't seem to work... might need to restart and take up the new hosts. doubt it though. let me think...

Back