Block Adware for Good

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
Here's the deal. We all have adware, spyware, underwear :D , the whole package...... What I am looking for is something like Spybot or Spyware Blaster that can block the adware from my machine. Not just detect it. I run Adware SE daily and it finds some kind of adware and I delete it. I run Spybot and it never finds any spyware because it also blocks it. Is there anything out there for free before I have to break and spend money?

Thanks in advance......

Yeah -- Firefox / Opera. People who don't run IE don't get spyware.

Quit downloading warez and looking at p0rn.. :D

Seriously though, Not using IE will help a bit.

Spybot + Spyware blaster has made a major difference for my systems..

-scoob8000

spybot has teatimer, which monitors registry changes and such and prompts you when it detects stuff.

spyware blaster is great too.

I have never had a single instance of spyware or adware on any of MY pc's.

So basically, I should look for another internet browser?

For those that didn't understand..... I have Spybot, Adware, Spyware Blaster, etc. It's not the spyware that keeps annoying me, Tea Timer takes care of that along with Spyware Blaster. It's the adware I'm looking to block.

Thanks to all for the repies. :)

scoob8000 said:
Quit downloading warez and looking at p0rn.. :D

Seriously though, Not using IE will help a bit.

Spybot + Spyware blaster has made a major difference for my systems..

-scoob8000

I um............. swear, it wasn't me. :D

lomn75 said:
Yeah -- Firefox / Opera. People who don't run IE don't get spyware.

I have downloaded Firefox and it seems pretty good so far. A bit faster than IE also. Thanks for the recommendation.

lomn75 said:
I'm still not sure of your point, then.

My point was I am agreeing that those that use alternate browsers don't have nearly the spyware problems as do IE users.

I

I want to stress there is no panacea for adware. Using Firefox will protect you from open vulnerabilities still present in IE, plus other issues that IE has that allows adware to easily creep in.

But that does not mean you can browse every dark alley on the internet and load up every pop-up, click on ads, run programs, and install things you're unfamiliar with.

You can use IE just fine if you practice safe-browsing....although I will concede that you will still get adware now and then.

Another good thing is to install a host-based firewall like ZoneAlarm, especially if you use IE still. A firewall should alert you when something is attempting to access the Internet. The firewall may not prevent adware, but it can be a dead giveaway when you do have adware creeping in.

Third, make sure your antivirus protection is running realtime and is updating regularly, preferably every few days. Many more AV programs are broadening their nets and catching spyware/adware...since the line is blurring between what is a trojan/virus vs what is spyware/adware.

Fourth, it's a good bet to keep Ad-Aware and Spybot running and regularly scanning.

Bottom line though, every Windows user gets adware/spyware...so don't go thinking there is some killer prog that is the end-all be-all in protection. :)

LonerVamp said:
I want to stress there is no panacea for adware. Using Firefox will protect you from open vulnerabilities still present in IE, plus other issues that IE has that allows adware to easily creep in.

But that does not mean you can browse every dark alley on the internet and load up every pop-up, click on ads, run programs, and install things you're unfamiliar with....

Bottom line though, every Windows user gets adware/spyware...so don't go thinking there is some killer prog that is the end-all be-all in protection. :)
Yes and no. Without the IE holes, the no-user-intervention spyware is ineffective. At that point, it's very easy to say that an educated Windows user will not get spyware.

An idiotic Windows user, OTOH, will find a way to get spyware no matter what precautions are taken.

After using Firefox for almost a week. I must say I am pleased. I am also using Thunderbird instead of Outlook or outlook express. I would recommend the two to anyone.

Keep your Windows patches up to date as well, but avoid SP2 like the plague.

Also, watch your website browsing, all it takes is for you to go to ONE nasty site that loads ONE nasty spyware that clones or pulls in more spyware and you gotta replicating problem that happens right under your noise and don't know it until its too late. *Has to deal with this on a daily basis*

You're right. I always monitor what comes in and out of my machine. I learned the hard way.

Back