BlizzCon 2013 Coverage

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at Legit Reviews has posted coverage of BlizzCon 2013 today.

After almost two years away in hibernation, BlizzCon returned to the Anaheim Convention Center with a bang as more than 20,000 fans poured in. With so many fans, gamers, and CosPlayer itching to see what Blizzard had in store for their three main franchises - World of Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo, many felt that there was little chance that the event could once again live up to it's hype.

I'll admit that Heroes of the Storm looks like it has a long way to go before being awesome.

I played it at blizzcon and it was awesome. Having said that, it'll be a while before its released because they want this game to be another branch of esport.

No matter how awesome Heroes of the Swarm is, it will fail because Diablo 3 ruined the entire Blizzard brand for a lot of people including myself.

No matter how awesome Heroes of the Swarm is, it will fail because Diablo 3 ruined the entire Blizzard brand for a lot of people including myself.

It's a bit of a stretch to go from "D3 disappointed a lot of people" to "Heroes of the Storm will fail because D3 disappointed a lot of people".

I think there isn't as much overlap between the franchises and every PC gamer has had to endure a bad iteration on a favorite franchise (HoMM IV ... Civ IV ... etc) ... as a MOBA Heroes of the Storm appeals to a specific type of gamer (if it is competitive and fun it should do alright) ... although there are some ARPG gamers who play MOBAs I don't think that is the majority ... also there is still a dedicated fan base of the eSports Blizzard games (WoW Arena and SC2) ;)

Late to the part eh Blizz?

Dota, HoN, LoL, and now Dota 2 have been here awhile...

If you base your entire brand bias on ONE release then your the one screwing yourself over. D3 was EXTREMELY well received on consoles. And fact is D3 didnt perform all that badly on PC either with a ton of people saying theyll start playing it again once the XPAC comes out because it addresses many of the issues

COD came out well after CS, DOD and a plethora of other slow realistic FPS games. It was still able to topple them all and build a huge brand.

Point is just because blizzard I late doesn't mean you should count them out. Look at how slow a lot of the MOBA have moved. The big ones still all play on one map.

There were many MMOs before WoW but WoW still was a massive success.

Both D3 and Heroes looked promising at Blizzcon. While many have a sour taste in their mouths from D3, I agree that it's a stretch to say Heroes will fail. The game is free to play - millions will try it out for sure. If it's any good, they'll make a killing on fun skins. It'll do just fine IMO

Removing theRMAH has gone a LONG WAY in forgiving Blizz about D3. Firing the vocal asshats that trumpeted it helps too.

D3 sold 14million copies across all platforms, that's some kinda failure...

It's a bit of a stretch to go from "D3 disappointed a lot of people" to "Heroes of the Storm will fail because D3 disappointed a lot of people".

I dunno about that, one of my favorite franchises to get raped was Master of Orion (the third installment is the victim). At the time it was published by Infogrammes, who IIRC dropped the ball on a couple titles, closed down the operation, renamed themselves Atari (after buying Atari) and as a result of Master of Orion 3 I refuse to ever buy a game from that company. Would not surprise me if D3 pissed off people so bad that they're not going to buy another Blizzard product ever again.

I bought every Blizzard game to date but I didn't buy Heart of the Swarm expansion pack for Starcraft 2 because of my bad experience with Diablo 3. It is pretty easy to tell when a company is headed in the wrong direction. I loved COD 4, but have not bought any of the CODs after that. I bought Dragon Age but have never bought Dragon Age 2 and will avoid part 3. I am completely avoiding Battlefield 4 even though I have an all AMD system!

I have plenty of games to play from developers who don't treat me like an ATM machine.

Somehow blizzcon was part of my Direct-TV...(hopefully free.) 5 days ago. I managed to see the last 30 minutes of the event and, I was not impreessed. Everything Chris Tuner said to kick off WoW expansion, the crowd would eat it up. All "WOOO and YEAHH". I played the beta before most of that audience. I just wasn't getting it.

@newster I agree with your last line.

Just because people buy shit doesn't mean its anything but shit.

Agreed.

COD has also sold 10+ million copies per release. Doesn't mean its a great game series at all. Just means that the publisher/developer know how to market/sell their game to the targeted audience. Blizzard KNOWS how to sell a product like no ones business.

Sale figures do NOT mean a good use of that money/time. People also bought Justin Bieber albums and went to his concerts enough last year to earn him an income in 2012 of around $55 million dollars. Let that sit for a moment...

meh.. the article was disappointing because it only had 2 pics of girls in costume..

meh.. the article was disappointing because it only had 2 pics of girls in costume..

I didn't bother with the virtual ticket this year but I think that was probably my most missed part of Blizzcon. Not so much the girls in costumes, but the costumes themselves. There are always some really good ones. Though, I hope no one proposed during the costume contest this year. That was just painfully awkward and only made up for by the next kid(or shortly there after) breaking his leg doing the dwarf dance.

I dunno about that, one of my favorite franchises to get raped was Master of Orion (the third installment is the victim). At the time it was published by Infogrammes, who IIRC dropped the ball on a couple titles, closed down the operation, renamed themselves Atari (after buying Atari) and as a result of Master of Orion 3 I refuse to ever buy a game from that company. Would not surprise me if D3 pissed off people so bad that they're not going to buy another Blizzard product ever again.

Wouldn't be surprising, but the question is whether that there are enough of those people to cause a product to fail. I guess we'll just have to see :)

I bought every Blizzard game to date but I didn't buy Heart of the Swarm expansion pack for Starcraft 2 because of my bad experience with Diablo 3. It is pretty easy to tell when a company is headed in the wrong direction. I loved COD 4, but have not bought any of the CODs after that. I bought Dragon Age but have never bought Dragon Age 2 and will avoid part 3. I am completely avoiding Battlefield 4 even though I have an all AMD system!

I have plenty of games to play from developers who don't treat me like an ATM machine.

Again, your screwing yourself. HOTS is easially one of the best RTS titles to date just like every starcraft release was.

and according to them, 90% didn't go past normal mode after 1.5 months of the release.
That tells something.

Not when you include console numbers. Blizzard made a mistake on the PC release. Fixed them for the console releases, and are fixing them in the next PC release. WTF more do you want? seriously people are so damn fickle its sad

Someone did propose on stage this year - it was lame. :)

Also, the costumes and the costume contest in general was kind of lame as well. I'm not exactly sure what happened - but I think they culled the contestants to just those that were deemed worthy. It just seemed short, and frankly there were only one or two costumes on the "wow that's an awesome costume" ala adjutant style levels. The best might have been "how do you kill that which has no life" Guy nailed it, and it was nerdy awesome.

Back