Blizzard's Answer To Stereotypical Female Characters

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Mar 6, 2015.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

I don't know where I stand on this new Overwatch character. Fighting "stereotypes" with one of the most overused stereotypes on the planet (female Russian powerlifter) was an odd direction to take. Your thoughts?

2. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Whole lotta woman!

3. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

All hail our new Overwatch Overlords!

Does this mean Blizzard supports steroid use? :)

4. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

I think this was a stab at the PC (politically correct) crowd, since Blizzard is always being criticized for "sexist" female characters. This looks like the "man with boobs" character trope to me, which makes it even better.

5. Fanattic

Fanattic Limp Gawd

And yet they give her molded boob armor. Hell just changing the women to have realistic outfits would be enough for 99% of the Politically Correct crowd.

6. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

Second only to the Brazilian Carnival themed assassin.

7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

We don't want games to over accentuate features that females have naturally have... however bring us all the macho beefcake men!

8. Weenis

Weenis I said WEENIS, not...

This

9. JinxyBoi

JinxyBoi Gawd

Def thinking Pvt. Vasquez from Aliens. She was awesome.

10. Fanattic

Fanattic Limp Gawd

The other hilarious thing is all my female gamer friends refuse to play anything but the prettiest,sexiest characters, wearing the skimpiest outfits. Hell one of them paid to faction/race change 4 characters in WoW to make them Blood Elves. Most men don't want to play a game where their character is an average, realistic, fat, ugly, or non manly man. Women are no exception. The industry is giving customers what they want. You need to change the gamer's minds not the developer's.

11. thejokker

thejokker Gawd

This should make "Bull Lesbian" gamers happy!

12. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I agree. Most of the women that I know who play games, pick fairly sexy characters as well. I actually play with quite a few female characters myself, in many games. My wife like me to make them look like her. :D Which is fine by me. :)

13. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

The people that actually buy these games don't want that.

14. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Why do so many females names have to end with an "a". :mad:

15. ViperGrendal

ViperGrendal Limp Gawd

[​IMG]

16. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

The only thing that bothers me about the actual character is that the character seems kind of boring and needs more personality, and I thought they already filled the class with the big shield Reinhardt and the big melee abuser Gorilla. The few women that will end up playing the game though aren't likely to fantasize about themselves being a bulldyke and will pick a different character, even if the loud feminists with the bullhorn scream at them and tell them that's empowering.

But what does bother me is the fact that Blizzard thinks it needs to please the loud feminists to even give them lip-service, otherwise the game will get bad reviews in the gamergate media outlets by people like Leigh Alexander who admit that they use their platform to promote leftists social engineering (basically politicizing game reviews, instead of just focusing on whether the game is fun or not), and that affects sales. Its already bad enough that I can't trust any movie reviews because of that shift that already happened, where movies like Birdman win countless awards with unflinchingly positive reviews while American Sniper I just kept reading about how its a stupid boring propaganda film... so what did I do? I watched Birdman first and had to walk out of the theater it was so weird, boring, and pretentious, then saw American Sniper and was blown away. Ugh...

17. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

So in America she will be a Lesbian. In Russia she'll be from the former Soviet Swim Team. And in the Middle East she will be a Lesbian Hunter?

How do you possibly placate global diversity. There's an Aesop's about what they are doing and if there's an Aesop's about it, you're pretty much screwing up before you start.

18. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

It will be some form of *phobe action to use representations/models (humanoid or not) in anything that implies or infers any sort of human-based gender vector soon enough.

The solution? Go back to board games. :D

19. 402blownstroker

402blownstroker [H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012

Whatever happened to 'dont buy it if you dont like it'?

20. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Oh, that will happen.

21. PersonalJ

PersonalJ [H]ard|Gawd

This game looks like a modern TF2, all I want is a modern Diablo 2 LOD.

22. Obi_Kwiet

Obi_Kwiet 2[H]4U

23. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

These are not the girls....our men-minds imagine.:p:D;)

24. Cerulean

Cerulean [H]ardForum Junkie

They should just hire Anita to direct character genders and sexes and modeling direction.

25. refraxion

refraxion [H]ardForum Junkie

All I want is a modern WarCraft II. Best of the series IMO. They should have given it the SC2 treatment instead of adding heroes for War3 (It was an okay game).

26. Teenk9

Teenk9 Gawd

The U.S. army is close to deploying molded female armor. That boob armor is going to be standard issue soon.

27. Ducman69

Actually they did, but the game started to steer slightly into a different direction, so they made it its own game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/351900/

28. "stereotyping"

"Female russian power lifter"

Like the russian bear-lady isn't a sterotype.

29. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

30. pcjunkie

pcjunkie 2[H]4U

No, in the Middle East the woman's face will be covered with a veil, then she'll be raped and later stoned for being raped. After winning the match.

31. Ashbringer

Ashbringer [H]ardness Supreme

I don't get it? What's the problem with her?

32. DarkAngel_ZERO

DarkAngel_ZERO Limp Gawd

I love me some snoo-snoo action (Alpha Protocol did it first...), but the second Blizzard introduces a pansexual transgendered otherkin who identifies as a dragon-unicorn hybrid asexual with rainbow hair and has a special attack called "triggering" that simultaneously drops all male and female characters from the game who dont live in the Bay Area while burning "misogyny" onto your screen, I'm out.

33. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

[​IMG]

Man, don't formally document anything. They'll take that and run with it!

34. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

Stereotyping Russian women is not a big deal, turn that globe on your desk to Thailand....

[​IMG]

35. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

All I see is the WoW engine used to make an FPS game. A shitty FPS game that I have no interest in playing whatsoever. /yawn

36. glutto

glutto Limp Gawd

Даже вы поднять?

37. dr.kevin

dr.kevin 2[H]4U

that's a whoa-man.

female Zangief. not my type.

38. Bamboo

Bamboo Gawd

Holy dickbreaker Batman! Femanazi's rejoice!

Like somebody prior alluded to, someone along the lines of Vasquez from aliens would be more appropriate. She kicks ass, looks normal and it's hard not to respect her. I wish there were more Vasquez styled characters in film and gaming.

There's only one Vasquez though.:cool:

39. tisb0b

tisb0b [H] Pirate

40. Ducman69

Its actually been done quite a bit, there was the female Schwarzenegger, Cory Everson, who was Ms Olympia several times and was always showing up in movies and TV... unfortunately, just like Arnold she couldn't act and wasn't as physically impressive as Arnold when it came to brute strength look... it was like Mt Dew vs Diet Mt Dew. Then there was Chyna and Brigitte Nielsen and a bunch of others during the same era as the peak of the WWF with Hulk Hogan and crew...

But when they started the big movement to make steroids and hormone supplementation a negative, these women that were obviously taking them to get so muscular were kind of shunned accordingly. If you look at women's fitness competitions, that's really as big as women get until they start messing with hormones and steroids.