blind computers , cant see

LostPuppy

Limp Gawd
ok so heres the setup , i got a desktop running 98SE and a laptop running XP both hooked up to a hub via cat 5 , both have files shared. The problem is i cant see the other computer from either computers...

They are both in the same workgroup , and if i hook my modem to the hub both can use the net, but they still cant see each other , the laptop can sometimes ping the desktop but not always, the desktop can never ping the laptop, and i tried mapping the network and the shared folder with no luck.

so after some searching (i've been trying to get this to work for days) i learn that 98 uses netBEUI for seeing computers and M$ stop using it in after 2000 and now its concidered 3rd party software , anywho so i download it , put it on the XP machine , install the protocol and still can not see the other computer.

both computers have the same subnet mask so they should be able to ping each other.... anywho i am really getting pissed off with this , any help or sugestions would be great , thanks...

Back