blast from the past..3200+

stormy1

[H]ard|Gawd
My main system went down from impending hard drive failure until I get a new drive in so im on my really old spare.

Does an Athlon 64 3200+ 2BG ram w/ win7 win me the lamest computer of the day award?

It isn't really that bad just slightly slower than my nook hd+ when surfing the net.
I think more ram would wake it up a lot as it is paging with just firefox and chrome running.

no way, there's a dude in my town trying to unload a prescott system for $1500 on craigslist.

My main system went down from impending hard drive failure until I get a new drive in so im on my really old spare.

Does an Athlon 64 3200+ 2BG ram w/ win7 win me the lamest computer of the day award?

Not really... I'm running something similar (Athlon 64+ 3000+) at my office, using Windows 7 Ultimate as well. It's actually quite usable for Microsoft Office and web surfing. I had no choice but to upgrade it from XP, since IT here has specifically stated that XP systems aren't allowed anymore on the LAN.

It also dual boots into CentOS 5.10, for my structural biology work. While it takes an overnight run to manufacture 500 protein structures using a lot of steps for each structure, it helps alleviate the number crunching on my main work PC (A3850 quad core).

My spare computer has an Athlon XP 2000+, the original 0.18 µm Palomino model. Has 2 GB of memory and an AGP GeForce 7800GS. Still running Windows XP SP3 on a 200GB HDD :cool:. I think the CPU might be a bottleneck because it has trouble running stock Oblivion at 1280x960 :p.

I have a customers 2005 Amilo Pro laptop running a 1.7Ghz single core mobile Celeron with 2GB of ram and a 40GB HDD running Windows 7 Starter sitting right here.

Lame does not do it justice.

I had a AMD XP3000 till 2011 !!

Untill I got the upgrade bug for Rift and I was able to use flat panels finally when led ones came out too a while to adjust to them.

Not really... I'm running something similar (Athlon 64+ 3000+) at my office, using Windows 7 Ultimate as well. It's actually quite usable for Microsoft Office and web surfing. I had no choice but to upgrade it from XP, since IT here has specifically stated that XP systems aren't allowed anymore on the LAN.

It also dual boots into CentOS 5.10, for my structural biology work. While it takes an overnight run to manufacture 500 protein structures using a lot of steps for each structure, it helps alleviate the number crunching on my main work PC (A3850 quad core).
That is just kinda sad.
Most of my clients have gotten rid off all the p4 and Athlon xp/64 systems.
That is where this one came from.

My main system which is down is a Athlon 64 x2 5000+ black that I built back when that was the hot chip to have in AMD land. It gets the job done, im upgrading it to a ssd and win8.1
The only thing it stinks at is video conversions since I don't game.

Last edited:
ha, here it is. cats in central oregon are fucking high. literally. bend/redmond are the drunkiest/stoniest little burgs i've lived in. and i grew up in west valley, utah.

talk of amd 64's has me itching to start my socket 939 retro build...damn you op.

ha, here it is. cats in central oregon are fucking high. literally. bend/redmond are the drunkiest/stoniest little burgs i've lived in. and i grew up in west valley, utah.

talk of amd 64's has me itching to start my socket 939 retro build...damn you op.

This must be the dumbest motherfucker I've ever heard of. I mean I knew the majority of people on craigslist were dumbasses (based on my own personal dealings), but this is just an entirely new level above that.

That's newer than my XP 2500/3200+ that's still usable for general non-gaming computing and the only thing holding it back is the fragmented HDD. SSD upgrade would make it very usable.

This must be the dumbest motherfucker I've ever heard of. I mean I knew the majority of people on craigslist were dumbasses (based on my own personal dealings), but this is just an entirely new level above that.

LOL, nah. This guy is clearly a genius. As the owner of a time machine, he's able to provide you with a processor from 2005 "brand new" and, he's also figured out that the deep branch prediction of that ancient Prescott CPU creates a magical vortex of unadulterated pure performance when combined with an HD6950 and a 3.5" floppy drive.

:D

I tried to get my Opty 165 going the other day and can't get windows to install before it craps out. I will be trying again this weekend though I don't think anything should actually be wrong with it other than it has been back in the box for a few years.

rofl, reminds me of the shit people sell for WTF $$$ on our Gumtree.

It isn't really that bad just slightly slower than my nook hd+ when surfing the net.
I think more ram would wake it up a lot as it is paging with just firefox and chrome running.

I still have my 3200+ and 4400 X2 sitting around in one of my bins. Pins are prolly bent by now but y'know whatever. Not like I planned on using them again. I am reusing my i5 750 right now though. It's still a pretty good chip.

WOW. That ad made me giggle. I wish we could know what he ends up getting for it.

Ahh....the good ol' days. My brother is still gaming on my old rig. 5200+x2, 2gb ram, agp 7800gs, 160gb hdd............and a 3.5 floppy lol. Guy is a rad-tech at our local hospital and makes decent money, but I still can't get him to upgrade and put ol' Nelly out to pasture. Oh well....if he's happy eh?

WOW. That ad made me giggle. I wish we could know what he ends up getting for it.

I offered him $50.00, he wrote me back that it was an insult and he was holding out for $1500.

I replied that alot of people would take those parts for recycling...

it's amazing how much faster cpus have gotten. I am using an amd sempron 2800+ what a dog! so slow....it makes my core 2 duo seem fast.

HP SNR1230NX Athlon 3200+ is my "spare" computer.. 2 GB ram, AGP HD4650

Hahah, I have the same build that I will be selling to someone for $30, custom built though.

Asus A7N8Xv2.0
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Corsair 2x1GB DDR400
HIS HD4650 Pro (AGP 8x)

Has Win 7 on it but going to see how Win 8.1 works out.

I still have my 3200+ and 4400 X2 sitting around in one of my bins. Pins are prolly bent by now but y'know whatever. Not like I planned on using them again. I am reusing my i5 750 right now though. It's still a pretty good chip.

The heck bro, thats my main rig right now. I just upgraded the gpu for it twice already from an HD 5770 to an HD 5870 to a GTX 760. I do not appreciate your insults. :)

I offered him $50.00, he wrote me back that it was an insult and he was holding out for $1500.

I replied that alot of people would take those parts for recycling...

i'm betting that bit about needing the money to move is bs. his ad has been floating around for the better part of a year now.

This thread made me smile on a rainy morning. I have very fond memories of s939 and 3200+..Those were the fucking good ole days, i tell ya.

You AMD users and your powerful rigs, I'm typing this from a single core 1.3 GHz Intel SU2700 ;)

The heck bro, thats my main rig right now. I just upgraded the gpu for it twice already from an HD 5770 to an HD 5870 to a GTX 760. I do not appreciate your insults. :)

Which one? The i5 750 I hope? The other two are rather slow in this day and age. And yeah I really didn't need to jump up to a i7 4770k from an i5 750. But you know. D:

I only have 1 939 system left in my house. It is a X2 4200+ in an Asrock 939A790GMH. It has the boring duty of being my internet connection and folding for WCG.

This thread made me smile on a rainy morning. I have very fond memories of s939 and 3200+..Those were the fucking good ole days, i tell ya.

They really were. I am hoping the new "unlocked" Pentium will give me a 100% OC once I delid that bitch and make her cry sweet O/C'ing tears.:D

Naw.

Binning a 1700+ that could sustain extreme OC's.....

I'm curious, what did you consider an "extreme OC" with the 1700+ chips? IIRC, the best of the 3 that I had did 1.8 or 1.8Ghz (from the stock 1.4) on my Epox Socket A board. (I really miss Epox). I had a 2100+ that could do 2.2Ghz on the stock Vcore. I firmly believe that guy was mis-binned and was supposed to be a 2800+, but I didn't complain. My only regret was never pushing the Vcore up to see exactly where it would have topped out.

My best Athlon64 O/C'er was a 3200+ that did 2.8Ghz..I sold it when the 3800X2 had it's MSRP cut by 50% and picked one of them up. I was disappointed at first that it could "only" do 2.6Ghz, but when I started using it and first experienced that DC smoothness in WinXP I just :D:D:D:D..I remember the rabbit Intel fanboys claiming that we didn't "need" DC chips, and the AMD guys tried to explain the "feeling" of a DC vs a SC chip in words, which was really something you needed to experience in order to understand it.

They really were. I am hoping the new "unlocked" Pentium will give me a 100% OC once I delid that bitch and make her cry sweet O/C'ing tears.:D

Hopefully there will be no need to delid, as the improved TIM may just be used for all processors (no way to know for sure). I'm fully expecting that Intel will find some way to creatively neuter these chips hard as to make them nearly irrelevant to all who are after sometime more than an ultimate speed record. This is Intel...they don't give freebies away anymore.;)

I still long for the good old days of OCing. I remember overclocking my old Pentium 100 to 133 by manually changing its multiplier and voltage via jumper. Later it was overclocking Celeron 300As to 500 MHz, Coppermine P3s to 933 MHz...fun times.

But those days are long gone...:(

but when I started using it and first experienced that DC smoothness in WinXP I just :D:D:D:D..I remember the rabbit Intel fanboys claiming that we didn't "need" DC chips, and the AMD guys tried to explain the "feeling" of a DC vs a SC chip in words, which was really something you needed to experience in order to understand it.

I remember the dual Opteron 246 (Socket 940) system I had at the time...it was an impressive system for its time, and definitely night and day better than the P4 3.06GHz HT that I had run prior. It had issues getting OPROMs (especially multiple video OPROMs) to load in the right order, however. I spend a lot of time removing and reinserting hardware before deducing the exact right order to do so to have it work. A royal PITA get working, but once it all decided to work, there wasn't anything like it at the time...;)

Back