Blank Slate - it's upgrade time!

Wiregeek

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
150
Need some advice!

I'm about a month out from upgrading to a new audio system. I recently damaged my motherboard whilst installing ram, and have since acquired an Asus Striker. I plan on 'moving into' the Striker shortly, with one caveat - I do not have the audio riser for it.

So, I'm looking for a sound card.

I have a Pioneer receiver pushing 100w into 5 channels (total 500w), and a 250w powered sub being fed line level.

I'm currently feeding the Pioneer 5.1 analog from my onboard sound on my existing motherboard, and that is the only way I can 'fire' all 6 channels. Any other connection mode to the receiver does not fire the sub.

Other devices connected to the receiver are an Xbox via Optical, my fileserver via optical, a DVD player via co-ax, and a Wii via stereo.

The fileserver is another PC, using a Creative Audigy Platinum 2 EX - I have optical or co-axial available for the output on it. (Audio's neccesary for the fileserver, since it's also my alarm clock :) )

I have an external switchbox for coaxial and stereo audio.

My requirements are as follows;

Soundcard
-Must be able to upmix stereo mp3 to fire all 6 channels
-Must be compatible with XP (Ubuntu support a plus)
-May require analog for full 5.1/6channel output.
-May not be from Creative.

Receiver
-Must be able to upscale stereo analog to fire all 6 channels (for Wii)
-Must be able to connect to soundcard for multiple channels (HDMI OK, Optical OK, Co-Ax OK, multiple Analog/RCA OK)
-Must provide minimum 100w/channel (very happy with this power level so far - with decent signal on the back end, it's quite loud enough)
-Must be able to connect multiple devices (not expecting a problem there)
-Must be black. Gloss or Satin or Matte all OK.
-Dimmable front panel a plus, I can always tint the front with a film, but I gotta sleep while this thing is on..



My total budget is going to be up to about 1200$. I am not an 'audiophile'. My speaker cables are no-brand, but they are long-grain oxygen free 99% copper, and sized 'a little larger than needed' (12ga). Likewise, my RCA cables and 3.5mm adapters were purchased from a reputable local dealer due to strain relief, insulation quality, and wire size, rather than brand name or voodoo abilities.


Thank you in advance for any advice or assistance.
 
intriguing.. I'll pencil that down, though I'm a little leery due to Panasonic not admitting this exists (searches for SA-XR57K, sa-xr57k, XR57K, xr57k all come back with no hits)

Now what sound card to plug into it..
 
I don't understand - are they going to sell me a Panasonic, or push me towards an Aura system, which I do not in any way want, since it does not fill any of my needs (and violates a couple of needs I do have)?
 
intriguing.. I'll pencil that down, though I'm a little leery due to Panasonic not admitting this exists (searches for SA-XR57K, sa-xr57k, XR57K, xr57k all come back with no hits)

Now what sound card to plug into it..
I get lots of results. :confused: Anyway, I've got it, so be assured it exists. ;)

I'll second Spaceman's AV123 recommendation. I've got a set of their x-series Encores. Amazing speakers for the money. I don't know about receivers sold through them, though. The section on amps, pre-amps, etc. lists some steeply priced stuff.
 
I get lots of results. :confused: Anyway, I've got it, so be assured it exists. ;)

I'll second Spaceman's AV123 recommendation. I've got a set of their x-series Encores. Amazing speakers for the money. I don't know about receivers sold through them, though. The section on amps, pre-amps, etc. lists some steeply priced stuff.

No fear there. They just cannot advertise and sell the receivers for what they do. Trust me, they are VERY name brand units and at the best prices with a warranty.

Hell, I will admit it. I love that company. They gave me my Rocket 550 MkIIs. Best damn speakers I have ever had.
 
No fear there. They just cannot advertise and sell the receivers for what they do. Trust me, they are VERY name brand units and at the best prices with a warranty.

Hell, I will admit it. I love that company. They gave me my Rocket 550 MkIIs. Best damn speakers I have ever had.
Ahhh... I get you, now. I've noticed lots of references to a very highly regarded hi-fi electronics company in their forums. The name usually is listed as Dxxxx or simply XXXXX. Gee, who could that be...? ;)

For the record, I love AV123, too! :D
 
a Dxxxx would be fine too.. ; )


So how about soundcards? I think I'm gonna drop some bank on this Panasonic unit linked above, come next payday (if it doesn't work out I have 3 'stereo' installations I can use it in)

Just need something to plug into it on the PC side.
 
a Dxxxx would be fine too.. ; )


So how about soundcards? I think I'm gonna drop some bank on this Panasonic unit linked above, come next payday (if it doesn't work out I have 3 'stereo' installations I can use it in)

Just need something to plug into it on the PC side.
I'm looking at the new X-Fi Titanium and Xonar D2 cards. My XtremeGamer met its maker, last night. :(
 
Back
Top