• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

blank screen on opening games

hedron

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
495
Everytime I try to open Unreal Tournament 3 or Neverwinter Nights 2 I get a blank screen. I can see my mouse and move around the screen. But I can only move it within a smaller invisible "window" within the black screen. I have to press ctrl-alt-del to get out and it gives me a message about it being non-responsive and asks me if I want to close the window. When I tell it to close the window a similar message shows up and I click close again.

In dxdiag, there are no tests available and doesn't give me any options to enable/disable dx.

I've tried disabling AA in the control panel but it had no effect.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version 7100 release candidate
DFI 790FXB motherboard
AMD Phenom II 955
4 GBs DDR3 RAM
GTX 260 GPU - driver version 195.62
Auzentech X-Meridian sound card
 
...must...play...unreal...tournament...3...*dies*

This is what dxdiag looks like:

fgdfD.jpg
 
Last edited:
same happens to me with bioshock

windows 7 hp
matx mobo
athlon II x4 620
8gb ddr2
8800gt

clean install, latest drivers

edit: have you tried letting it just sit there at the blank screen? try waiting like 10 minutes. sounds crazy but I did that when hl2 wouldnt work. had to wait like 5-10 minutes, then it opens, and now it opens fine.
 
edit: have you tried letting it just sit there at the blank screen? try waiting like 10 minutes. sounds crazy but I did that when hl2 wouldnt work. had to wait like 5-10 minutes, then it opens, and now it opens fine.

Nope, didn't work. I suppose I could try for like half an hour or so. I'll try that tomorrow.
 
OK, I let it sit there for more than 2 hours and nothing.

I have no idea what to do? It worked in a previous install, and dxdiag had all the normal options available then, I don't know what I did differently.
 
Try running as an administrator, and perhaps messing with the compatibility options for the game. If you don't know how to access these, all you have to do is right click the game's shortcut, and go to the compatibility tab. In there, you can fool around with some options to see if any of them will help you run the game.
 
I tried running it as an admin and changing compatibility options, no joy.

I think this has to do with direct x being installed incorrectly or something. I mean, if you look above I don't have any of the tests that are normally there. NWN2 gives me an error about not being able to find a graphics adapter, although, I think that's a bug, of sorts, in the game because of my particular windows version. I can't find dx11 on the internet anywhere, so I can't reinstall. I have installed the latest direct x 9 though.
 
Back
Top