blank/black screen in a huge number of games.

requiem99

Supreme [H]ardness
edit note: disregard overclock in sig, it's not actual overclock, it is merely what the card is capable of as verified when first purchased around a year ago. Since that time it has been run @ stock since I've not needed the extra power.

Seriously, what the hell. All my games have been working perfectly until about a week ago and all of a sudden I can't play many full screen games (especially seems to affect ones that run in 16-bit color) without first settings windows itself to 16-bit color and even then many games still won't work at all. I'm pretty certain it's a problem with the driver and my monitor (sig) because these games are displaying properly on my secondary monitor (old acer 22" LCD) but I never have had a single issue like this until now. The game is working properly each time because I can hear the music, but the screen is always totally blank and usually proceeds to "out of frequency/no signal" within a few seconds of launching the game.

The maddening thing is some games are just fine, some are a disaster. Homm3 works perfectly in full screen without a single issue. Tropico 1/2 won't show me the main menu or the game unless I start in windowed mode in 16-bit color then switch to full screen once I get into the game itself. Interstate 76 won't give me anything at all, even in desktop 16-bit color. Caesar 3, Pharaoh, both work perfectly. Dosbox based games are all black screen. Total Annihilation is black screen including videos and main menu, and I JUST played that game like 2 weeks ago. All modern games I've tested work properly. rFactor, IL2, F1 2010, war3, Galciv2, etc. Modern games are no problem. It's definitely something to do with older games, but not all older games. Example: Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 works fine. Railroad Tycoon 2 works fine (same engine as Tropico 2, which doesn't work unless you 16-bit/window->fullscreen trick it).

There's no windows framework link between any of these games that I can think of. Nothing. I haven't installed any program recently that could have done this, to my knowledge, because I've been too busy gaming. Everything has been perfect until this utterly random bullshit just started happening.

Things I've tried:

every nvidia control panel setting under the sun, including the hidden ones found using nvidia inspector.

disabling secondary monitor, and disconnecting it physically.

3 different NV drivers with driver sweeper between attempts (last 3 WHQL sets, two of which played these games properly in the past 12 months)

reinstalling DX

removing any program on my pc, including files and registry entries, that might be even obliquely related to display.

reinstalling, removing, upgrading video codecs

the typical slog of virus scanning, defragging, anti-malware, inspecting all running processes, etc etc. Everything is normal as expected.

I even reinstalled Tropico 2 about 5 different times with steam version, gog version, CD version, pirated version, ALL have the exact same result, and then I started randomly picking other games and testing and found that it affects roughly 30% of the games installed on my PC (read: probably at least 50 games affected).

Take the last 60 seconds: I tried to load Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and not only did I get a totally black screen but Windows refused to alt-tab or recover the primary display after I killed the process using the secondary display. It would not re-init the primary display until I disabled it, then re-enabled it.

Seriously what the fuck is happening? I don't see how it could be a faulty display or graphics card because there are no other symptoms. It's driving me mad.

edit: also changed HDMI cable. No joy.

edit2: switching ports on the 480 didn't work either. It DID let me load Tropico 2 one time full screen, but it was almost like it "forgot" that it was supposed to be broken and when I immediately ALT-F4 and then reload again (with NOTHING inbetween) it did not work. This, right here, makes me think hardware fault somewhere along the line. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Ok we've got a bit of movement. When I switched ports on the 480 I now can load some of these games fullscreen ONCE in a while, but they go blank/black very quickly after loading. I just loaded Tropico 2 ten times in a row.

1- fail black
2- fail black
3- intro movie, then menu, then fail black after 4 seconds
4- fail black
5- intro movie, menu with absurdly garbled "death overclock" pixel artifacting, then fail black after 8 seconds
6- fail black
7- intro movie, fail black before menu
8- fail black
9- fail black
10- fail black

WHAT IN THE FLIPPIN' INSANE HELLBALLS COULD BE DOING THIS!? After switching windows to 16-bit color and then launching windowed->switch fullscreen in-game I can play uninterrupted, no crashes or problems, for HOURS (and in fact I have tonight, for 3 straight hours in fact) but launch full screen in 32-bit color? GTFO GFY SON! WTH

Why the hell would this only happen to specific old games? I don't have ANY crashes or anything in modern games. Do I have a bug in Win7 involving refresh rate that just spontaneously started? I've tried to figure out how to lock 60hz at all resolutions but I haven't had any luck yet so i can't verify if this is part of the problem. I can definitely verify that the primary DVI port will not EVER load Tropico 2 full screen, but the secondary port will on occasion before losing signal within seconds. Both ports can play the game just fine after using the 16-bit/window->fullscreen trick I mentioned earlier, without a single issue.

Last edited:
Now I've realized it is losing signal most of these times it is giving me the black screen. Not every time, and the time it takes to lose signal varies, but it goes from black to blue (loss of signal) most of the time when I launch these problem games. Never, EVER does it with the more modern games. I just loaded rFactor and IL2 10 times each and it didn't give me a problem once.

This is now officially the strangest problem I've ever seen in two decades of gaming, tweaking, and troubleshooting. I cannot fathom what is causing this problem because even my ridiculous theories do not match up to the conflicting facts.

It can't be the video card because it plays the games on the 2nd monitor without issue.

It can't be the games themselves for the same reason.

It can't be the cable, because I changed it.

I can't be the graphics card, because it doesn't have a problem on the 2nd monitor, or in any modern game.

It can't be the HDTV, because it works perfectly with every game, including these broken games when I can get past the intro via windowed mode/16-bit color.

It can't be refresh rates, for the simple fact that it isn't consistent across different programs using the same resolution.

It can be windows, but I can't figure out what in windows it could be. I suspect someone here might be able to tell me... at least, I sure hope so. :(

edit: and of course all of the above "can't" remarks are "can't reasonably" -- if you've got an unreasonable but possible explanation I'd be more than happy to hear it and work with it. I worked on this problem for 4 hours today and made absolutely no headway whatsoever.

Last edited:
I've been having this same problem recently. I tried playing Rise of Nations after reinstalling it. The audio plays but the screen stays black when I get to the main game menu. Lately I've also been having internet problems where sometimes sites such as google, facebook or youtube don't load on my computer. I know that this problem is unrelated to my internet connection because all other online applications work fine. As these two problems surfaced at about the same time I thought that they might be related somehow.. are you also experiencing frequent webpage crashes?

Nope, no websites are causing crashes for me, I can't remember the last time Firefox crashed. What is stranger though, the problem described in this other thread here has been partially fixed (the emboss/wrong quality problem has stopped, the random pink pixel tint problem remains) as I've tried all kinds of crazy things to troubleshoot the problem in this thread, which is still exactly as described above without being fixed (but again, totally invisible unless I actually try to play the games that it affects).

I have no idea what stopped the other problem, but I'd much rather this problem here get fixed because it is preventing me from playing dozens of games.

Anyone else who trundles in here from Google search feel free to add any information you've got. Until you see a solution posted here by me you can assume I'm still working on it and haven't figured it out yet.

Would you happen to have another power supply ? Maybe one of your rails is fluctionating current you need for the vid card. Might be worth a look.

Would you happen to have another power supply ? Maybe one of your rails is fluctionating current you need for the vid card. Might be worth a look.

Can't be. It only affects full screen 16 bit color games and it doesn't affect all of them, only some of them (possibly based on resolution). Dosbox games all run fine windowed but none will run full screen. Tropico 2 runs windowed but the menu won't display full screen, however the game itself will if you start the game windowed in 16 bit color and then switch to full screen after getting into the game.

Still haven't figured out what is wrong.

Maybe for some weird reason it is trying to output a Hz that your monitor can't support if it is opened at full screen 16bit?

Sounds weird but is the most simple explanation that i could find in my mind, due to the lower settings, and when you set windows to 16bit first, it then doesn't let the card to do an improper mode change, thus locking the refresh rate to the proper ammount.

That said i have no idea how to fix that, other than checking for custom resolution settings and the like to try and lock the refresh rate.

Yeah, I've tried to find a way to alter the refresh rate for specific resolutions, including clean sweep/reinstall but nothing has worked. Still having this problem, the nature and frequency of it hasn't changed a bit. It only affects specific titles and as far as I can tell, ONLY full screen 16 bit color.

Broken video (bink, not regular since you have already reinstalled those) codecs have been known to break games before and games often start with a video. Did you try to reinstall some of those?

Edit: Since you got them working on second screen, I guess its not the codecs.

Edit2: Try to turn off Aero (set it to basic) to see if that causes the crashes.

Last edited:
FYI this thread is not dead, I still haven't found a solution to this one and I've done basically everything but reinstall Windows 7 (but an unsatisfactory partial fix is to changing scaling method from "Display" to "GPU") -- if anyone can figure out a permanent solution PLEASE post it up!

Found a confirmed issue from Nvidia that may or may not have been resolved, regarding Phillips HDTV's and Geforce that might at least be worth checking out:

ManuelG from Nvidia said:
If you are using the latest drivers, try disabling the HDMI Audio from the NVIDIA Control Panel, even if you are outputting audio from a sound card. You will find this option in the "Change resolution" panel inside of the NVIDIA Control Panel. Some Philips HDMI displays have issues with Geforce which could lead to image corruption when audio over HDMI is enabled.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=153212&st=0&p=966139&#entry966139

Perhaps some audio in those games trigger this error combined with starting full screen?

For the record this thread still isn't dead, and no, the HDMI audio thing didn't resolve it (I always disabled it anyway). Perhaps I will next try to hard-disable HDMI audio somehow, perhaps registry?

The problem has morphed recently into random glitches in certain resolutions/refresh rates (all low resolutions), and I'm starting to suspect the HDTV itself. :(

Back