Blackout Damaged Computers...need advice

PedroDaGr8

Limp Gawd
Well my parents office had a black out (squirel somehow took out a substation). When it came back on as they were walking in two computers died. They didn't have a chance to turn them off. One blew out on the AC side of the PSU, looks like an MOV or a resistor blew out. Made the office smell ATROCIOUS. On the other computer, it took out the motherboard it appears because it constantly flashes on and off and the fans continuously spin on and off :mad:

Now heres the thing. THEY WERE BOTH ON BATTERY BACKUPS. One was a cyber power and the other was an APC model, neither more than a year old. What the hell did I do wrong??? This is a big inconvenience, I thought these things were safe on the battery backups.

look at your stuff from the back ups... you can probably get stuff replaced under warranty from them... not much else you can do

I have already started that. Unfortunately, my parents dental office can't afford to have this happen again. So I need some sort of option...anyone else have any ideas.

I may post this on JonnyGuru as well...I desperately need to figure out some options.

look at your stuff from the back ups... you can probably get stuff replaced under warranty from them... not much else you can do

QFT

You'll obviously need to find replacement UPS that won't do what your current ones did.

Afterwards, get some reimbursement from the current UPS that failed on you, both of them.

Sorry to hear about that. For two computers to go like that, that sounds like grounding issue with the house wiring or there was a super spike in the system when the power came back on that should have tripped the circuit breaker. I have surge protectors plugged into the walls and I plug surge protected power strips into those and then I plug in my equipment so I figure I have some redundancy. I don't have a UPS.

I have already started that. Unfortunately, my parents dental office can't afford to have this happen again. So I need some sort of option...anyone else have any ideas.

Buy 4 hard-drives. Decide on a back-up frequency you and your folks deem necessary and make back-ups that are kept off-premises. Keep one for each computer at home (assuming office is NOT in the home) and one in a safe deposit box.

I keep weekly back up at home and a monthly in the bank.

Get Acronis (or something like it) to make things easy on ya.

Back