Blackberry Storm

Tried this thing out at the Verizon store, wasn't impressed. I'll keep my 3G.

I had made a separate thread for my Blackberry Storm review beacuse when I looked at the first few post in the forum it didn't seem like an all conclusive thread but reading futher I now see and will post what I put in a separate thread here.

Hello For those looking at the new holiday phone selections from Verizon I have videos on two of them. This first thread will be on the Blackberry Storm and the next thread will be about the HTC Touch Pro

Links
http://www.bwone.com/blackberry-storm/
http://www.bwone.com/2008/12/08/verizon-wireless-blackberry-storm-9530-review/

How to update your Blackberry Storm

http://www.bwone.com/2008/12/14/how-to-update-your-blackberry-storm-95009530/

How To Get Youtube On The Storm
http://www.bwone.com/2008/12/12/how-to-install-youtube-app-for-blackberry-storm-95009530/
http://www.bwone.com/2008/12/09/youtube-on-blackberry-storm-9530/

I have one, very impressed, does what I need to, low overhead, can send files to it, through explorer.exe interface, great phone, and supposedly is getting even better with firmware updates. Its not perfect, little slow sometimes and theres some small bugs, but honestly pretty satisfied with it.

I'm really liking my Storm. This phone isn't for everyone... In all honesty, if your coming from a previous blackberry I don't think you'll like the storm very much. The keypad isn't at all like any other Blackberry.

That being said, I was looking for a new PDA/Phone/Media player that wasn't the iPhone. I really don't like the iPhone... looked around, the HTC Touch HD isn't listed as coming out here in Canada, and no news on the G1, so the Storm was the best option for me.

I really like it. There are some quirks, but I'm hoping RIM fixes them in updates. They've usualy been very good with updates, so I'm hoping they'll continue with that tradition.

But in anycase: TRY Before you buy. Like I said, this phone isn't for everyone.

Latest rumor is that there is a GSM version with wifi coming out on the rogers network.

Why would you need the Wifi? The 3G is fast enough for most needs, and if I am at a wifi stop, pull out the laptop. I mean this screen is tiny, I can't imagine being used for constant work.

Why would you need the Wifi? The 3G is fast enough for most needs, and if I am at a wifi stop, pull out the laptop. I mean this screen is tiny, I can't imagine being used for constant work.

some people like an all in one device I'm not one of them:) but that's just how it is alot of people may use the storm for e-mail etc 24/7 if they are always travelling and on the go

I mean yea, I love to clear my inbox before I get home, but its much slower than a laptop. I understand your point completely though, and totaly agree with you, I don't like ALL in One, and Master of None devices ;). Still loving my Storm though.

I have been considering getting one for a while but just not sure is it good ?

as for your point about it been slower than a laptop yeah it's the fact the screen is much bigger and as you said applications and everything runs alot smoother when I am travelling etc I often have my phone/netbook with me :)

just for the fact the netbook does everything better/more reliably and the bigger screen :p

Just got mine and skinned it. Loveing this phone and it has good solid bluetooth compared to my last phone. I hate touchscreen but realize there will be a compromise for the large screen. I still prefer keyboards, but I really don't like large phones or tiny screens. The touch and click does not drive me nuts like a regular touchscreen would. I liked the iphone (other than having to rely on touchscreen) and the G1, but no changable battery, no changable / expandable memory card etc really took away its appeal.

Currently waiting for someone to write a flashlight app so the LED Flash can be used for a flashlight. Hoping anyways, it bright as heck.

I have been considering getting one for a while but just not sure is it good ?

as for your point about it been slower than a laptop yeah it's the fact the screen is much bigger and as you said applications and everything runs alot smoother when I am travelling etc I often have my phone/netbook with me :)

just for the fact the netbook does everything better/more reliably and the bigger screen :p

The software is still a little buggy, if you try to customize it to much. But heres what I use for.

Web browsing, as good as any other smartphone.

Email checking is perfect, only slows down a little during high peeks, ie Christmas, new years.

Can interface through explorer.exe, so very intuative to get files. IE I made a Wallpapers directory in the SD card, without any problems.

Transferring ringtones, pictures are a breeze and it does accept PNG.

Battery life has been good, never died on me, but I charge it every day at night.

It auto goes to sleep if you have an official blackberry case.

Quality is good, phone is fast, and can handle AIM, Messenger and Email open at the same time, though slows down.

Keyboard depends on preference, I like it, I don't like texting, so the slow keyboard is great for me, and I like the clicky feel.

Considering what it does, I think its very cheap, I am paying $60 + normal plan, to have unlimited everything.

Back