Blackberry Storm Firmware Update Rolling Out

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
If you’re a BB Storm owner and have been underwhelmed with how buggy the phone can be, your day has come. Research In Motion is rolling out a firmware update (4.7.0.113) over the next two weeks and is not officially released by Verizon just yet. If you look around, you can find an unofficial update to apply if you’re impatient.

The 4.7.0.113 update will also bring a much-wanted feature to Storm users: a full QWERTY keyboard to use in portrait mode. …In total,over 30 bugs will be fixed, with stability and speed issues addressed in this firmware update as well.

Its about time RIM updated this piece of shit.

I know some folks here really love this phone, but stock out of the box with up till now the current firmware, its about unusable. You have to download unofficial/hacked firmwares and do screw tightening and shim mods to get it to function the way it should.

When they roll out the Storm 2, they better dump that stupid click screen crap. Just use a regular touch screen guys. It works far better.

mine auto updated to 4.7.0.122 last week with most of these features already

Perhaps Bell Canada got it sooner?

did make it a much better phone, fixed some of the really annoying issues like super slow camera and the screen only rotating about 50% of the time

I wouldn't hold much stock in that article. From what i've read on Crackberry, .113 failed some phase of VZW testing quite some time ago, they've since moved on to testing later builds. And besides that, even Verizon doesn't know they're officially releasing it until right before it drops. The whole "over the next two weeks" thing makes me doubt its validity in the first place.

That, and the comment about this being possibly the last firmware update for the Storm. This is total BS, as there will have to be at least ONE release of the 5.0 OS in order to bring the Storm to full BES 5.0 compatibility - and I don't think Verizon is going to leave Storm users in the dark regarding BES 5.0; the latest KNOWN OS in testing at RIM for the Storm is currently 5.0.0.110; if I am not mistaken.

I am already running a 4.7.0.122/5.0.0.90 (Bold) hybrid on my Storm, and things are looking promising.

mine auto updated to 4.7.0.122 last week with most of these features already

Perhaps Bell Canada got it sooner?

did make it a much better phone, fixed some of the really annoying issues like super slow camera and the screen only rotating about 50% of the time

Bell Canada got 4.7.0.122 as an OFFICIAL through Desktop Manager over a week ago. As of yet, there is no .exe installer out there, though. Us folks on different providers have to create a sort of "hybrid" using an older OS in order to install .122; however in the end what ends up getting installed is in fact .122

I HIGHLY recommend Crackberry for all you [H] Blackberry users, there is a wealth of information on their forums.

I'm sure you've noticed it also helps the memory leakage alot, adds a full QWERTY in portrait mode, and also adds improved cut and paste functionality?

they keys in qwerty are far to small for me to find useful, the fault keyboard in portrait works just fine for myself, other than the odd word it wants to suggest which you dont want, lol

they keys in qwerty are far to small for me to find useful, the fault keyboard in portrait works just fine for myself, other than the odd word it wants to suggest which you dont want, lol

i must be blind i don't see an edit post button anymore.. lol

i must be blind i don't see an edit post button anymore.. lol

There is none in the Front Page News subforum for some reason. as for the portrait QWERTY i've got somewhat big thumbs, but surprisingly it works out well for me. I can't stand the typing mode where it tries to guess what you're about to type as it seldom goes well for me.

the camera is still slow, much better but it still captures a second or two after you press the button it seems

memory leak is much better, a lot of the themes from crackberry still seem very slow compared to the default.

the camera is still slow, much better but it still captures a second or two after you press the button it seems

memory leak is much better, a lot of the themes from crackberry still seem very slow compared to the default.

Funny, my camera was almost instant back when I had the .113 installed (.122 is about the same); to be fair it's at least as fast as my Kodak Z740 - all in all, best phone cam i've ever used; even the flash is useful.

By the way, the slowness of third-party themes is due to a bug in Plazmic which made it into the final release. It makes most themes cause a major memory leak.

takes great pics, the time you press the shutter button till it actually snaps the pic is awful for me

you press the button and you get the shutter sound but the pic is actually captured a second or so later, i get a still of say the dog looking at the camera when i hit the shutter but the pic i end up with is the dog walking away or looking away lol

for still objects its just fine

takes great pics, the time you press the shutter button till it actually snaps the pic is awful for me

you press the button and you get the shutter sound but the pic is actually captured a second or so later, i get a still of say the dog looking at the camera when i hit the shutter but the pic i end up with is the dog walking away or looking away lol

for still objects its just fine

It's a 2 step process, depress the button partially to autofocus, wait for the box to turn green, and press it the rest of the way. It works just like a regular digicam. If you just press the button all the way, it autofocuses and then shoots; that's what the delay is.

It's a 2 step process, depress the button partially to autofocus, wait for the box to turn green, and press it the rest of the way. It works just like a regular digicam. If you just press the button all the way, it autofocuses and then shoots; that's what the delay is.

yeah i get whats in front of the cam 2-3 seconds after the green box lights up to let you know its focused which used to take forever, that part is faster then previous

now they just need to camera to take the pic when i "click" the screen not seconds later, seems to be a common issue, wonder if it varies with software releases

.122 firmware + opera mini = :)

I finally got a chance to use the Storm as a modem in W7 today. Inside a library I hit 500kbps and browsing seemed quite tolerable.

I did however have an issue connecting to IRC via Trillian. I'm also having troubles using the various clients on the Storm.

Any of u VZW users have this working?

Also I spent some time w/ the G1 yesterday and the screen is nowhere near as sharp. Txt looks much nicer on the Storm.

I'm still waiting for Verizon to get a decent smartphone with everything I want. The Storm fails due to lack of WiFi and bugginess. And of course, Verizon doesn't have the Blackberry Bold. The other phones I've been interested in either use GSM only, or have an exclusivity agreement (e.g., Palm Pre' with Sprint).

I'll soldier on with my imperfect (but usable) Treo 755p until they actually come out with something I'm willing to switch to. Work provides my phone, and it's the only carrier with reliable signal strength where we're at.

.122 firmware + opera mini = :)

I finally got a chance to use the Storm as a modem in W7 today. Inside a library I hit 500kbps and browsing seemed quite tolerable.

I did however have an issue connecting to IRC via Trillian. I'm also having troubles using the various clients on the Storm.

Any of u VZW users have this working?

Also I spent some time w/ the G1 yesterday and the screen is nowhere near as sharp. Txt looks much nicer on the Storm.

Just out of curiosity how did you use it as a modem, is it software you have to buy?

Actually I just paired it with my NC10 and went through a dial up wizard. IE brought up a page where VZW kindly informed me they'd be owning me w/ yet another 30 fee for tethering.

There's also an app that offers DUN foe 50. Ill post bag w/ the info later.

Yea my mom has a storm and wanted to tether it but didnt want to pay tethering fee. My palm centro is able to tether with software and not get raped by them and she is jealous :D

Back