Blackberry Enterprise Server setup

Baredor

Gawd
My co. has a a few (5ish) Blackberry's running, but Nextel recently gave us a copy of Blackberry Enterprise Server 3.6 for free (hello $4K :) ). So, I've been tasked with coming up with a plan for setting this up. I'm reading the manual and found Blackberryforums.com, but I wanted to see if anyone using this software knew of a good place to get noobed-down info on setting this up.

Also, if anyone is experienced BES Admin or a flat out guru with this thing, I'd appreciate being able to ask you a few questions.

BTW, I think BES express is now free, so you should get the latest version ( i think it is in the 4.x...)

Can't help ya with BES, we decided against it. Testing Goodlink and Intellisync now.

Darthkim said:
BTW, I think BES express is now free, so you should get the latest version ( i think it is in the 4.x...)

If I'm reading it right, the free license gives you 1 CAL only. Additional users for $119 each, max of 15.

We got 20 of them for free, so.. yeah. :)

Bump for great knowledge.

I'm now trying to cypher through the info and find out whether it would be better to install BES to a 2000 server machine with MSDE or 2003 with SQL 2005 Express. Any words of wisdom from the experienced are appreciated.

I run the BES server here at my work. Around 25 phones so far. There are some interesting things that need to be done in order to play well with Exchange, but once you get it running, it seems to be a very stable platform.

The support guys at RIM are PHENOMENAL btw. Don't hesistate to give them a call. I spent about 2 hours on the horn with them when I decided to get BES off MSDE and port it over to our SQL server. They definitely know what they're doing.

SVT4ME said:
The support guys at RIM are PHENOMENAL btw. Don't hesistate to give them a call. I spent about 2 hours on the horn with them when I decided to get BES off MSDE and port it over to our SQL server. They definitely know what they're doing.

T-Support = expensive

What is so great about BES over just forwarding email from your existing mailserver to the blackberry's address (<[email protected])? We have about 10 people using blackberry's in our office here and i remember a while ago looking at BES but i still couldnt figure out the advantages. We run webmail off of our mac's to provdide email here and arent running exchange anywhere so that might have had something to do with it, :p . Just curious.

-km

Well for one you're keeping the mail on a trusted network. BES has plenty of encryption, and also distributes group policy on a per user or per group basis (lock certain features of the handhelds for certain users). It tracks handheld useage and you can kill a phone instantly in case of theft. It's a management tool first and foremost IMO. I love it.

Thanks for the replys everyone. Moros, I will definitely send you a PM. Also, I should have mentioned that our CAL is only for 20 users, which should be plenty for the immeadiate future, assuming the current plan stays in place.

Back