• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Black transparent/translucent plastic?

pawstar

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
465
Hi, has anyone heard any black plastic that is transparent/translucent to light i.e. if I were to put a VFD or some lets behind it it would shine through, but when looking on the outside it appears black? Also, any links to pics would be much appreciated. I've heard something about smoked acrylic but the pics I've seen make it look more like tinted glass than anything else.
 
how about clear with a tinting film on it. Such as they'd use for a car. You could probably get 5% and have the look you're going for.
 
Qtip42 said:
how about clear with a tinting film on it. Such as they'd use for a car. You could probably get 5% and have the look you're going for.


That's a good idea...

*scours the net for tint*
 
Qtip42 said:
how about clear with a tinting film on it. Such as they'd use for a car. You could probably get 5% and have the look you're going for.

Hey, thats a good idea. Now why didn't I think of that before. On top of that, I think I could use extra layers where I don't want light shining through and less layers where I want things to be visible
 
skunkmunkey said:
Has anyone used the tint spray? is it any good? you can pick it up on ebay for £6

It's horrible. Almost impossible to get an even coat, fisheyes all over...yuck.

Also, just a quick note regarding the use of automotive film on plex or acrylic. It does work, but in most cases, it is not permenant. Acrylic and plexiglass have a tendency to "gas-off" window film over time, creating small bubbles in the film,and eventually cracking and peeling. The only "fix" I have found for this is quality fim like 3M or Llumar. These films will eventually gas off, but not as quickly as cheaper film.
 
You can get smoked acrylic if i remember correctly, ill look around and see if i can find where i saw it once.
 
kill4killin said:
You can get smoked acrylic if i remember correctly, ill look around and see if i can find where i saw it once.

Yes, I am aware. However, I haven't seen good enough pics that give the effect that I desire. ie the pics i've seen make it seem like dirty acylic.
 
i got some smoked acrylic form ebay, its not dark enough though, ive bought a can of spray smoke, il let you know how it turns out.
 
Back
Top