Black screen

Mikaron01

n00b
Getting black screen everytime i play games. Need help! Everything is updated (bios, drivers, windows) using DP cord

asus X570 P
Ryzen 5 3600 (stock)
4 ddr4 ram 32g
Rtx 2070 super (stock)
Evga supernova 1000w g5

Hrm, number of possibilities. Is it every game? Does it happen in both windowed mode and full-screen? Can you alt tab out and back in and does it make any difference?

Maybe try turning off anything that could put an overlay or recording software on your games (Instant Replay type stuff - Steam overlay, etc) just to see if it narrows down anything.

Could be a power issue, or a faulty GPU- have any additional hardware to test with?

I was going to say maybe the 2070 is having an issue if OC'd but you say it's stock, so that doesn't seem likely.

Hrm, number of possibilities. Is it every game? Does it happen in both windowed mode and full-screen? Can you alt tab out and back in and does it make any difference?

Maybe try turning off anything that could put an overlay or recording software on your games (Instant Replay type stuff - Steam overlay, etc) just to see if it narrows down anything.

Could be a power issue, or a faulty GPU- have any additional hardware to test with?

I was going to say maybe the 2070 is having an issue if OC'd but you say it's stock, so that doesn't seem likely.
I happens mostly while playing COD and sometimes while playing AC but it rarely happens. Everything is stock with normal graphic settings and fullscreen mode (the only settings i play on) The rgb lights start to flicker on my gpu right before it happens then the screen goes black with no sound, but my pc stays on and fans running and theres nothing i can do but reset. I can’t say its my psu because thats the newest part of my rig and its a 1000w. I tried putting in my 1660 and theres no problem whatsoever. Thanks for the reply

Well the PSU being the newest part of the rig also means it's the least "time-tested". The flickering on the GPU lights would potentially indicate a power issue to me, IMHO- but maybe it's an issue with the 2070 itself. However, flickering lighting really suggests to me (at least personally) that it's something power related... flickering lights usually would be a pretty big red flag to me. But I could be wrong.

Because it doesn't happen with the 1660 (125w), I'm inclined to think it's either the 2070 super (215w) has some problem itself OR the power difference between a 1660 and 2070 is enough to discover a PSU issue. Still hard to know for sure, though- but the 1660 working fine does narrow it down.

Are there additional/alternate GPU rails/plugs from your PSU you can use? curious if switching those around would have any effect - or even better - an alternate PSU to try?

all that^^ especially the vga power cables, make sure youre using two.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Well the PSU being the newest part of the rig also means it's the least "time-tested". The flickering on the GPU lights would potentially indicate a power issue to me, IMHO- but maybe it's an issue with the 2070 itself. However, flickering lighting really suggests to me (at least personally) that it's something power related... flickering lights usually would be a pretty big red flag to me. But I could be wrong.

Because it doesn't happen with the 1660 (125w), I'm inclined to think it's either the 2070 super (215w) has some problem itself OR the power difference between a 1660 and 2070 is enough to discover a PSU issue. Still hard to know for sure, though- but the 1660 working fine does narrow it down.

Are there additional/alternate GPU rails/plugs from your PSU you can use? curious if switching those around would have any effect - or even better - an alternate PSU to try?
I tried different chords and slots for the psu to the gpu and still getting crashes, tried my old psu which is a cheaper one (gammax 850w) and no issue

I tried different chords and slots for the psu to the gpu and still getting crashes, tried my old psu which is a cheaper one (gammax 850w) and no issue
good thing you had the back up. it will get you by while you rma.

Back