Black screen

Tullphan

Limp Gawd
So the wife was on her computer this evening when all of a sudden the screen went black. I simply thought it was due to inactivity until I heard her moving the mouse around & still nothing.
I unplugged the monitor from the power strip & plugged it directly into an outlet. I powered on the monitor, the monitor (LG W2252TQ) showed the logo, & the windows login screen for a split second, then went black again.
I restarted the pc & after the initial showing of the amount of memory & video card type (GTS 250), the screen went black. Normally it'll show the motherboard splash screen before the windows logo but now it doesn't. I tried pushing F8 to go into safe mode as well as pushing DEL after the inital bios screen, but no display. If I turn the monitor off, then back on, i'll get that display for a brief second.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Well I tried a different DVI cable that I know works, but as soon as "Digital" appeared on the upper right corner of the monitor, the screen went black again.
I then tried a working VGA cable, but the monitor then went into analog sleep mode.
Other ideas/suggestions?

weird

I can explain that split second flash of whatever the monitor was last displaying though, I have a couple HP vs17s that do that, some kind of buffer in the monitor itself

Guess I need to look through my parts pile & start with a different video card & go from there.

Do you have onboard video to test with? If onboard works, the card likely is dead.

Sorry, let me explain.

A very common failure mode for video cards is microfractures in the solder joints between the actual GPU and the circuit board. Many, many people have resurrected cards by reflowing the solder in their oven. Search around, its true. I have done it myself several times. If the card tests dead you have nothing to lose right?

Sorry, let me explain.

A very common failure mode for video cards is microfractures in the solder joints between the actual GPU and the circuit board. Many, many people have resurrected cards by reflowing the solder in their oven. Search around, its true. I have done it myself several times. If the card tests dead you have nothing to lose right?

OK...thanks for elaborating. I take it you noticed that i've never done that myself. :)
Now, can you explain the finer details?

search around a bit, there is some debate on optimal times and temps, most seem to prefer temps between 350 and 475 and times between 5 and 8 min, more time = less temp and vise versa.

what everyone agrees on is to elevate the board off the baking sheet on 4 little crumpled up cubes of tinfoil, mine are about 5/8" square, and remove the heatsink first.

no guarantees and you may bork the thing for good, but if its already broke and out of RMA...

Back