Black Screen with nvidia 6111 drivers and TNT1

Therac-25

n00b
I'm stuck right now, just wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of problem.

I've got a Gentoo box running 2.6.9 and the nvidia 6111 drivers, using a Diamond Viper v550 16M TNT1, and I'm getting a black screen when X starts up. (Yes, the nvidia kernel module has been loaded, the unresolved symbol issue w/ 6111 and 2.6.9 has been dealt with).

/var/log/Xorg.0.log looks fine -- I don't know what it should look like in this case, but the last line is "(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1024x768". Is that typically the last line in the file? Or am I missing something afterwards?

After that, it just goes black, locks up, and nessecitates a reboot.

The only interesting module I'm loading is the v4l module (as this is going to be a PVR box). The glx modules are loaded and in the path. I have nvtv installed, but it's not running when I'm doing this. It happens regardless of whether or not RenderAccel is set to 1 or 0.

Has anyone encountered this type of problem before? I've searched around different forums, but most of the other problems with TNTs seem to be related to 6629, everyone thinks 6111 works fine with these cards :\ So it must be something I've done wrong.

Is it as simple as a wrong frequency line somewhere, or do I need to downgrade to another version of the drivers to find something that actually likes the older cards?

Well, the most obvious thing would be to comment out all frequency lines (and rely on DDC).
I assume you can't ssh in after it freezes?

As for normal logs, all i can tell you is that the OSS radeon driver is incredibly verbose. Sorry.

Did you tweak your kernel yourself? Try turning off DRI support if any...

You can also kernel++; 2.6.10 is out, and that's a higher version than 2.6.9, so it's worth a try.

Back