Black screen and it won't respond.

HardLiner

Gawd
I moved my computer a few days ago and when I turned it back on the screen was just black and wouldn't respond not even to the bios screen, so I tried rebooting it a few times and then it started as normal to windows but every once and awhile usually when the computer is sitting idol the screen will go black and won't respond even if I reboot it..I usually have to reboot it a few times or unplug the power cord and plug it back in before it will load to windows.My screensaver is off and my power setting are set to never.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Considering the computer was moved, I'd pop the case side off and look for any loose cables, or a card that needs to be reseated.

First thing I would suspect is that you knocked something loose when you were moving your machine. Open it up and make sure that everything is connected properly and that your cards are seated fully.

The other possibility is that you have a psu that's on it's way out. If you have another one, try using it and see if that solves your problem, or you could pick up a cheap psu tester at your local computer shop and test the one you have.

First thing I would suspect is that you knocked something loose when you were moving your machine. Open it up and make sure that everything is connected properly and that your cards are seated fully.

The other possibility is that you have a psu that's on it's way out. If you have another one, try using it and see if that solves your problem, or you could pick up a cheap psu tester at your local computer shop and test the one you have.

For some reason I've blown 3 PSU's in th last year,I've been using my old 350wat from my pentium 2 PC for the last year so it could be that.

What's a good PSU to buy,Enermax?

I have my preferences (PC&P), but I am in no way any type of authority when it comes to psu's... Ask in the Power Supply sub forum and I'm sure that you'll get alot of good advice there....

I can't see it being my power supply because everything starts up so I wonder if it could be my Hard drive? Maybe be a Virus or something?

Failing power supplies can most definitely cause intermittent crashes/lock-ups etc. I have never heard of a virus that will prevent a computer from booting/posting and a dead hard drive is usually exactly that, dead. In some cases, a hdd may sporadically fail, and once it starts to fail, death follows quickly.

I really think you need to take a look at your psu, that's the best advice I can offer based on the information you have given, and that is all it is.... advice. Take it as you may.

Failing power supplies can most definitely cause intermittent crashes/lock-ups etc. I have never heard of a virus that will prevent a computer from booting/posting and a dead hard drive is usually exactly that, dead. In some cases, a hdd may sporadically fail, and once it starts to fail, death follows quickly.

I really think you need to take a look at your psu, that's the best advice I can offer based on the information you have given, and that is all it is.... advice. Take it as you may.

I have to buy a new PSU anyway so I'll see if it does the trick,if i doesn't I'll post back...thanks for your help!

Back