Black screen after POST

I got the 4gb Crucial kit from Frys on BF and just now getting around to installing it. I did so and booted up the PC and did a "fail-safe reset" and then proceeded to setup my BIOS the way I wanted it. Now after the system POSTS it won't bring up the OS loading screen with the progress bar there's just a black screen.

All I did was replace my existing 2x1gb Crucial kit with the new 2x2gb kit and nothing more. The OS installed is Vista32 but that shouldn't matter as it should just take off a few MBs of memory which I don't mind. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I don't want to go Vista64 as I am fine having 3.25gb of ram while I'm on 32bit Vista.

Oh and I do have the iffy Seagate 1.5tb drive but I flashed the new fw a few weeks back and has worked fine since then but just thought I'd mention that as well.

So you reset the bios?
Make sure your first Boot device is your system hard drive.
Then remove all sticks of memory except one. Try to boot. If no luck, try another one stick by itself.

Tried that just now, both sticks by themselves took me to the Vista loading screen so I went ahead and put them both back in. Same result, black screen after POST and no loading screen. I took out 1 stick again and got to the loading screen again but I'm sitting here on 3 mins now and still loading wtf? There's no hdd activity as far as I can tell but it's still on the screen "loading". Same with the other stick by itself.

Might be a limitation of the board or might just be a crappy pair of ram but it should at least crap out on me with a bsod if it was the ram. This is just bizarre and frustrating.

Ok, now I can't get the system to boot regardless of it's the old or new ram. It just gets stuck on the loading screen with the progress bar still moving. I can't even get the Vista setup dvd to load. Coincidentally it has that same loading screen on the dvd and it goes to a black screen after a few seconds. I put in an XP setup disc and it seemed like it would install but I'd rather have Vista if I can get it to work and besides I don't feel like reformatting atm.

Problem solved, turned out to be a loose SATA cable which drove me insane for hours until I finally figured it out.

LOL, its funny you say that. I just installed my 9800GTX last night, and had to get back in the case because my Sata cable popped off. They really need to stop making the non-latching kind.

Back