• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Black screen after driver install on 7950

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
6,110
I've installed my new 7950. The card works in BIOS and Windows 7 safe mode, but as soon as I install AMD drivers (tried 13.12 and 14.2 Beta) and restart, the screen goes black after Windows loading logo. I've tried connecting my TV to the HDMI out, no output there either.

I've been using the IGP on A10-5800k with 13.12 without problems. Tried to disable the IGP in BIOS, ran Display Driver Uninstaller, installing only the driver without CCC...nothing worked.

I have been searching for a solution for the last couple of hours without success. Any suggestions?
 
What motherboard do you have? You might need a BIOS update for it.
 
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35. I'm running BIOS v1.7 from 2013-01-29, so I don't think that should be an issue. The card works in live Linux Mint 15 xfce, if that is any help. Though I guess it is more similar to Windows without Catalyst.

I think that Win7 doesn't finish booting, as I can't remotely connect to it, so it is not that the card sends the signal to the wrong output.
 
Last edited:
I've returned the card to the store for them to take a look, but I would still appreciate any ideas as to what could be wrong besides the card being faulty. Unfortunately, it seems it was basically the last 7950 in my country, so I don't think a replacement will be possible.
 
next time if there is a black screen, try booting into safe mode. Perhaps there was a driver issue. It's happened to me in a new build before, but it's completely resolvable (if it is this issue)
 
I've mentioned that in the OP. The card worked in safe mode. It was when I installed the drivers (original cd ones, 13.12, 14.2) that it stopped working. Tried DDU driver cleaning too.
 
Back
Top