Black Prophecy anyone?

I've just recently installed it and did the mini tutorial. The graphics are fucking great I got to say. It is a lot like Freelancer in the flying part, but you can play in the standard 3 ways that most flight sim users want: cockpit/first person with GUI/3rd person. I would say the graphics are on par with X3. I will reply later on after I do some missions and see how I like the GUI of it. I think the star map could use some work though, it's counter intuitive to what I am used to in other game's star maps.

Definitely looks interesting. I'll probably give this a try at some point. Thanks for the heads up.

The flying mechanics really bother me. It feels so arcade-like and unrealistic. I can move in odd backwards/sideways/strafing directions with the animations showing thrust forward. It's all sorts of wrong.

I signed up for the closed beta but haven't gotten an invite yet :(

Gregg, they were giving out beta codes on massivly.com last week. There might be some left. Go in and look at the Sci-Fi section, and do a search for the game. There will be a post regarding the beta keys. I can't access the site from work, or I'd give you a direct link.

I just got a closed beta invite myself! :) I signed up back in November, I didn't even remember I had!

I've just recently installed it and did the mini tutorial. The graphics are fucking great I got to say. It is a lot like Freelancer in the flying part, but you can play in the standard 3 ways that most flight sim users want: cockpit/first person with GUI/3rd person. I would say the graphics are on par with X3. I will reply later on after I do some missions and see how I like the GUI of it. I think the star map could use some work though, it's counter intuitive to what I am used to in other game's star maps.

This description has made me interested in this title. I'll be keeping tabs on this.

I just got a closed beta invite myself! :) I signed up back in November, I didn't even remember I had!
Same here. Completely forgot I signed up to test it.

From everything that I've seen, its going to hopefully be pretty awesome.

i just got a key in my mail but they webpage is down or some thing cant log in

Just installed and got past the tutorial last night, it's pretty epic, but also instanced as well. Hope I can get past some of the motion sickness lol.

Gregg, they were giving out beta codes on massivly.com last week. There might be some left. Go in and look at the Sci-Fi section, and do a search for the game. There will be a post regarding the beta keys. I can't access the site from work, or I'd give you a direct link.

I ended up getting one off Tentonhammer.

Oh yeah! I'm in.
40 mins to download. been waiting months for an invite. got it from tentonhammer

Game is pretty amazing for a free to pay game. The graphics are very good, though there are some things that are definitely not finished like the horribly bad autopilot animation. Game's combat is basically freelancer, very good mouse / keyboard controls. I have had a good time so far, I also like how story based it has been its basically like playing a single player space combat game for the first 3 hrs or so.

I register at their site and then when I goto enter my code and my log in, it says account not recognized or something that, what am I doing wrong?

I liked the game until my friends got in and we got into a team. There is no indication on the HUD where my team members are and we dont have a "universal" mission log that shows all the team members mission. For being a MMO its not friendly in my experience to friends playing together. Maybe I missed something.

man I'm still waiting for the download link email saying my account is activated

lol I have it but am too lazy to go through the trouble of installing it. Why is it all chopped up and in .bin files?

I'm in Western Canada. I don't know if it's bad netcode or the single US server is too far away from me but the game is totally unplayable.

Ships will lag jump every 3 seconds to new positions. It's impossible to fly or shoot anything and I'm on a 20mbps internet connection!

So far it reminds me of how cheesy X3's single player voices and FMVs were like. The graphics themselves are decent but hey, it's 2011. Space sim graphics should all be able to do this easily. They looked this good in 2005 already.

I don't get what the MMO portion of this game is. It's just flying around solo and mostly just single player missions here and there which are all jump to a sector and shoot computer bad guy ships for a slow XP grind, etc.

I also had crazy lag in the first public instance area. In all solo quests and shared instances after the prologue i have had absolutely zero lag. I also agree that the mmo part is not that developed its basically a space sim game with alot of multiplayer(after prologue) thrown in. But i dont really have a problem with that, the game play has been fun minus the griefing.

The lag and griefing seem to be the biggest problems that I've run into so far. Outside of that, the game is pretty fun. Definitely reminds me of the X games and Freelancer, which is a good thing.

I also had crazy lag in the first public instance area. In all solo quests and shared instances after the prologue i have had absolutely zero lag. I also agree that the mmo part is not that developed its basically a space sim game with alot of multiplayer(after prologue) thrown in. But i dont really have a problem with that, the game play has been fun minus the griefing.

In every instance I am in, I get crazy rubber banding. I'll press fire and it shoots 15 seconds later and all the ships will have jumped to completely new positions. One time I blew up a ship but it stayed at 0% health and didn't leave the screen until I rubberbanded 15 seconds later.

Was waiting for this game for a long time. Was hoping for a sandbox style kind of game. What you get is a shitty version of Freelancer. At least the graphics and sound effects are pretty good.

Gameplay = terrible. Hopes = dashed.

How does long distance navigation work? In youtube vids, I just see you selecting a mission to do and then your in the mission. Is there light speed travel or warp drive or wormholes or warpgates, hows that work? I like EVE's navigation system, with the warp drive within a sector and warpgates between sectors.

A big selling point for any space-based game (for me) is how travel works. I couldn't get into the x3 games because there was only 1 mode of travel, and you had that time-speed-up device that made time move faster while you traveled.

How does long distance navigation work? In youtube vids, I just see you selecting a mission to do and then your in the mission. Is there light speed travel or warp drive or wormholes or warpgates, hows that work? I like EVE's navigation system, with the warp drive within a sector and warpgates between sectors.

A big selling point for any space-based game (for me) is how travel works. I couldn't get into the x3 games because there was only 1 mode of travel, and you had that time-speed-up device that made time move faster while you traveled.

You just pick the place on your map and then you see a shot of your ship slowly moving for 1 second and then it loads and you are there. X3's travel was awesome. SETA was great and I liked the jump gates.

So basically there is no space travel, just insta-teleports? Not sure how I feel about that, I prefered EVE's method, it felt like you were actually traveling.

Everything is instance based, no real exploration. Game is mainly focused on the combat and upgrading your parts. Also keep in mind this is a free to play game as well. It is not going to have the scope of a game like eve. Would be cool though.

Your average mission in the early game. I don't know if it improves.

1. goto this sector, kill 20/20 of "insert one type of bad guy here"
2. collect 15/15 of "insert one type of object here"
3. actually goto that sector and find 30 other players camping the area waiting for "insert that one type of bad guy" to spawn and kill them before you have a chance to.
4. wait a long time because there's nothing to do and everybody is killing the stuff you need

-EDIT IT DOES IMPROVE!

Last edited:
This is a copy / paste from the forums:

There are 3 types of missions:
Story Missions, like all the prologue missions.
Jobs, these are accepted by contacting people in ships or in there stations and largely take place in Open World sectors. All open world sectors are by there very nature, open to all players and as such are PvP enabled areas.
and Terminal Missions, these are accepted from the Mission Terminal on any station, just dock and click the top button on the left side of the screen. Terminal Missions have a number of types, Solo, Group, PvE, PvP, PvPvE.

The 3ish hour long prologue is mainly all story missions minus a few. After that you can pick between the 3 types how ever you want. Though after the prologue the story misses seem to not really exists (i am either not high enough or its a beta thing). I have mostly been doing the solo and party instance stuff so far.

edit: i have only had lag in the first open instance area. The others have been fine as have all story missions and solo / group missions.

Game was patched recently and I don't know if that was the fix or something else on the server end but the game is now playable for me whereas before, I would rubberband all over the galaxy!

Back