• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Black Ops support X-fi/EAX?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
I've burned up my 2nd Auzentech card and decided to go to the Asus Xonar Essence ST wtih H6. My question is how much worse is Call of Duty Black Ops going to sound? I'm not sure if the game supports X-fi/EAX where the creative chips would benefit more over the Asus. I know the ST isn't heavily geared towards gaming but I do watch a lot of movies and listen to music as well. Thanks for any input! At this point I really just want a dependable card.
 
I know for a fact that COD 1 and 2 supported EAX 1.0, 2.0 and possibly 3.0. I remember selecting it in the options. Not sure about COD4...
 
I never enabled the crystalizer or EAX under hte options so I am hoping I don't notice a difference. Or hopefully its not worse. I know I went back to onboard and its killing me. I barely get any sound out of my Denon cans!
 
EAX has been dead for awhile. All of the developer AIPs for EAX have been deprecated and developers have moved on to OpenAL. No new games since about 2006 have shipped with any support for EAX.

Sure, you can use EAX with old games on Vista and 7 with Creative Alchemy but as far as new games go, you wont ever see EAX anymore.
 
I never enabled the crystalizer or EAX under hte options so I am hoping I don't notice a difference. Or hopefully its not worse. I know I went back to onboard and its killing me. I barely get any sound out of my Denon cans!


You aren't getting good sound because the amplifier in your onboard card is much too weak for large powerful cans like that. I would invest in a good amplifier if I were you.
 
You aren't getting good sound because the amplifier in your onboard card is much too weak for large powerful cans like that. I would invest in a good amplifier if I were you.

Lol I already knew that. I used to run a Zero DAC and some other good cards... Bravura, this Forte etc. I just mentioned the onboard sound sucks. The Bravura, Forte, and this Xonar all have built in headphone amps. I am looking forward to getting back into one.
 
The Asus Xonar Essence ST sounds just as good in games to me. What surprises me is how much better it sounds for music and movies. The Forte was already a great card but this is a step above when it comes to music and movies. Hopefully its dependable.
 
Back
Top