Black OPS release going disasterously on the PC

Now, i just too a first look at the server browser.....oh how horrible.

1. How do you see ALL servers? (it shows over 7000 servers online but my list only displays around 800)

2. How do you add a favorite server? I can't add my own dedicated server as it doesn't show in the list, and there is no "add" button in the favorites list

3. How do you add a friend? Again, no "add" button.

It's totally beyond me that those simple elementary things could have been missed in testing.

there's a FOV slider in game. haven't played with it much, but there is certainly a difference.

BlackOpsMP2010-11-0908-26-20-41.jpg

Nice to see that, but christ put some numbers on the slider.

How are you finding the game _Porter? I value your opinion on this, you like me had similar views on MW2 and BC2 for that matter.

My guess is that even maxed out it's not enough to satisfy some pc gamers...hence no numbers shown. I maxed it out and it looks good to me, but I don't have an issue with even the default FOV.

How are you finding the game _Porter? I value your opinion on this, you like me had similar views on MW2 and BC2 for that matter.

too early to say as i've only played for about 15 minutes, but i'll like it once i get into. so far it feels like MW2 gameplay, with hints Treyarch (think WaW; muted weapon sounds...grittier art direction). there's lag in every server right now, which i'm sure will get sorted out.

Alright. So we get a built in FOV slider, that's already a step forward. Is there lean capability present? Once this mess is sorted out, it should be pretty awesome. I'm picking it up tomorrow when I get paid.

My copy of Black Ops has just started to download so I can't comment on it yet. What is up with those FOV pics? There doesn't seem to be much difference at all between min and max. Also what are your graphics settings like? If they are maxed the game doesn't look any better than COD4 on the pc did.

Oh well, I got it for $45 so hopefully I'm not too disappointed.

huh, lol? I can noticeably see more in the "max" picture unless you're spotting something I'm not. :p

Either those pics are mislabled or you are smokin' some good stuff this morning. The top picture labeled "min" has a wider fov than the bottom pic labeled "max"

^^^ What he said. Did you make a mistake or is that truly the way it is?

FOV pics are correct, there's more FOV in the 'max' image.

My copy of Black Ops has just started to download so I can't comment on it yet. What is up with those FOV pics? There doesn't seem to be much difference at all between min and max. Also what are your graphics settings like? If they are maxed the game doesn't look any better than COD4 on the pc did.

Oh well, I got it for $45 so hopefully I'm not too disappointed.

my settings are posted above. keep in mind that photobucket reduces the quality quite a bit. but yes, they graphics are on par with COD4 and MW2 (and COD2...depending on how you look at it).

Just going to play the single player game on this one and scrap it, lol. I've learned my lesson after the mw2 debacle. Also, going to pick up cod4. I still think cod4 was and still is, the best of the series, a true classic.

Game is horrible. I want to play the original CoD4: MW instead but now the PC Shooter player base is split among 4 shitty CoD games.

Game is horrible. I want to play the original CoD4: MW instead but now the PC Shooter player base is split among 4 shitty CoD games.

After being told over mic I wasn't allowed to run I stopped playing WaW after the first week online.

Still, I think I may check this out, but not for $60.

Regarding the FOV slider:

According to this developer chat, from about a week ago, the FOV can be increased all the way up to.... 80.

So enjoy that stunningly high 80 FOV you can get by setting that slider all the way to the max.

Wow, 80!? That's revolutionary!

Doesn't say if it's vertical, though. 80 vertical is fine.

Hmmmm.... I paid $29.99 for MWF2 about 4 months ago (not sure of exactly when). I am not sure what you guys are talking about. Usually games go on sale about 3 months after they are released if not sooner.

$30 is my max on games and I got both MWF2 and BFBC2 for that price on Steam (in the US).

The only game I might consider paying much for is HL3, and $50 is the max on that one. $60 is outrageous!!!

Oh, well I suppose I was wrong. I've only recently seen MW reduced with BLOPS coming along. Even through MW2 being released it was still the same full price everywhere I saw it.

Is it just me or are there an absolute shiton of threads for this game, supposedly horrid that it is, around here?

FOV slider doesnt work for me.

All it does is move the gun forward more. Actual FOV stays exactly the same.

Am I missing something here?

MAX:
maxfov.jpg

MIN:
minfov.jpg

Last edited:
It could be worse and we could be stuck with a 50 or 60 FOV. Don't bitch.

Honestly you guys just lap this stuff up eh? OH GREAT CALL OF DUTY GODS THANK YOU FOR THE 80 FOV YOU ARE SO MERCIFUL FOR NOT STICKING ME WITH 60FOV YOU ARE THE BEST DEVELOPER EVER!! Fuck that, I'll give my money to the many other developers who can do it properly. Or I can go play BC2 with my 100 FoV... honestly, even DICE is getting it right.

Really guys, I'm a bit pissed off... Looks like 60 euros went straight into oblivion... On my G73 there's like crapload of micro stuttering around, I have no idea if it's lag or framerate based, I'll stick with the first - totally random LAG makes multiplayer barely playable.

Multiplayer looks like shit tbh, MW2 looks way better and gives you more satisfaction for getting a frag or two.

I'm not sure what's wrong with this game, but it's simply not worth 60 euro.

And the FOV is just ridicolous :O Any idea how to change that? Silly slider that can be found in the graphics options does not work at all.

Can we verify if this is Vertical or Horizontal FOV, if it's Vert then it should be fine, 75 vert usually gives 90 degrees at 4:3 and 100 at 16:10

so glad i never felt a big urge to rush out and buy anything from the COD series. Got my $s worth out of MW1, avoided WaW and MW2. Waiting to see if this is any good before I buy, so far looks like its a big no.

Supposedly you can open the console and type "cg_fov 80" to manually change the FOV.

Will someone who has the game please test this and let me know if it works?

Is it just me or are there an absolute shiton of threads for this game, supposedly horrid that it is, around here?

Yeah like 5+ threads trying to decide which one to follow. Already kicked out of the official one.

I'm actually interested in this one. The plot is supposed to be better than MW2 so I might atleast check out the single player.

Does the friends list work for you guys? i have to be invited to the game i cant just join session in progress cuz its always greyed out.

hmm i don't know. my screenshots are taken standing at slightly different spots, and yours appear to be different spots as well. i assume you took the first screenshot, exited out of the game and cranked the slider, then loaded up a new game for the second screenshot? that's the only way i could get the FOV adjustment to take affect.

Honestly you guys just lap this stuff up eh? OH GREAT CALL OF DUTY GODS THANK YOU FOR THE 80 FOV YOU ARE SO MERCIFUL FOR NOT STICKING ME WITH 60FOV YOU ARE THE BEST DEVELOPER EVER!! Fuck that, I'll give my money to the many other developers who can do it properly. Or I can go play BC2 with my 100 FoV... honestly, even DICE is getting it right.

Dice isnt getting to too right, considering they are about 10 mil copies less sold than mw2 :)

hmm i don't know. my screenshots are taken standing at slightly different spots, and yours appear to be different spots as well. i assume you took the first screenshot, exited out of the game and cranked the slider, then loaded up a new game for the second screenshot? that's the only way i could get the FOV adjustment to take affect.

If you're not standing in the same spot, then we can't know if the FOV sliders are working properly or not.

Any chance of you trying that again, making sure to stand in the same place this time? Find an obviously recognizable landmark, like a rock you can stand on or something. Since everyone else is saying the sliders aren't working, there's a good chance they actually aren't.

Back