Black Ops Dedicated Servers Come With a Catch

why exactly is this bad? Just cause you cant choose your provider?

Competition is good. Gameservers.com will have less incentive to put up a quality service as we won't be able to go anywhere else.

Also how will this affect supposed mod support? Time will tell.

On one hand, they're protecting their assets from pirate servers popping up and all the shit that brings into the game, so much better than MW2 that still has me wishing for money back, good luck finding a game without a hacker in it, then good luck finding a game that doesn't have the host turn into a god on the battlefield because of the ping advantage.

On the other hand, only freaking Gameservers will be providing, unlike BC2 that has a billion gazillion serverhosts renting servers to people. Smells like dirty under the table dealing. There are BC2 servers hosted in my country, tons of them, but the nearest Gameservers.com outlet is hosted in the UK somewhere, last I checked, so ping's up.

I'll wait until the demo, coming August 2011..

Isn't this some kind of monopoly stuff?
Wonder how they manage to get away with that

Because they wouldn't want to provide a good experience so Activision uses them again in the future.

WRONG

they were the high bidder.

They pay activision to do this. Another one of the we are going to make money off every piece of the game. F the users

And the same idiots will put up with this just as the same idiots did with COD6.

If you let companies like Activision and EA get away with this they will do it over and over again.

No dedicated server me no purchase.

DICE just wrote crap netcode for their game, most of the fallout is blamed on the server host.
Reality is, they need to higher someone who can write competent netcode.

BC2 server file are on bittorrent. I thinking these will end up their also. When are company s going to learn...

Because they wouldn't want to provide a good experience so Activision uses them again in the future.

While true, a good experience for the customer and a good experience for Activision are two separate things.

Acti: "we had X% of complaints about faulty hardware and lalala..."
Gameservers: "We'll lower the price for you by X%!"
Acti: "Okay!"

Activision announces increased profits through increased customer quality.

You guys are forgetting something. Just kick back a bonus to the VP in charge of the decision, and let him show that using gameservers is cheaper than an imaginary alternative, then he gets a big bonus, and the kickback and the saga continues.

Back