Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
A DLP is superior to an LCD...roughly midway between it and a decent CRT black level (0.01 nits or thereabouts).I3eyond said:everyone here complains about the black levels of LCDs...
well, my girlfriend has a DLP and i know first hand how the blacks look.. how does a dlp compare to an LCD?
I3eyond said:hmm that's surprising.. her DLP sucks with black levels.. in movies the blacks look green most of the time. another friend of mine has a crt hd tv and the blacks are MUCH better![]()
mathesar said:Green blacks indicate another problem not related to poor black levels.
I've always heard DLP has much better black levels than LCD as well.
All TVs need some calibration out of the box. You could try something like the Avia home theater guide.I3eyond said:hmm .. any idea what that might be?
SNIP3R said:What brand of DLP does your girlfriend have?
Almost straight across the board DLP's wipe LCD's up when it comes to black levels.
I am curious what brand of DLP she has nonetheless.
masher said:Definitely a problem with the set if your black levels are color-tinged, probably an issue with color wheel timing or such. I'd call the manufacturer and try to get it serviced.
Yep, you can usually calibrate it out, though it may take a tech to do it. Definitely complain to the retailer, or the manufacturer if its been over 30 days.I3eyond said:it was like this even when she got it though... is it likely that it would have come this way?
From what I remember, the CR could be from 1000:1 for the HD3 chip to about 2500:1 for the HD2+ chip
This is the dynamic iris mentioned earlier in the thread. It increases the set's on-off CR, but not the ANSI CR, so its a bit of a mixed bag.To improve their set's CR, RP lcd manuf. have recently implemented an iris which reduces the brightness of the entire screen, but improves black levels for dark images.
Very true. Still, I haven't seen anything that could touch the CR on the HD2 Darkchip...except SED out there on the horizon, of course.Sparrow_69 said:Masher: you're entirely correct, my bad. The CR in the specs are however, to be taken with a grain of salt (as usual)![]()
Interesting; I missed that particular advancement...probably due to my incessant drooling over SED.Sparrow_69 said:They use colored leds to reproduce the color. This year could be very interesting in terms of dlp technology.
masher said:Interesting; I missed that particular advancement...probably due to my incessant drooling over SED.