black friday and Fry's

master6

Limp Gawd
hey

do they have good deals here on black friday? i am wondering if it is worth it to make the 2.5+ hour trip to the nearest one. any help would be appreciated.

m6

totally depends what you are looking for, but generally, yes they do.

it is tough to get the Fry's ad ahead of time. they are very tight with it.

Let me put it this way: Fry's is the only store I plan on visiting on BF and I probably won't see the full ad until the morning of the sale. :p

As mentioned above, it does depend what you're looking for. It works out best if you have more than one person so if you want anything from the camera (also TVs) or laptop areas (also monitors, desktop), extra people can wait in those lines while other(s) grab stuff off the shelves. Plus that works out better if you want more of a "limit 1" item.

It has been hit or miss. Last year was alright, the year before was great. It all depends on what they're trying to clear out. Also depends on what you're going for.

One thing good about Fry's is that they usually have all 50 cashier stations open on BF. So the line, although extremely long (snaking in and out of aisles at the store) can move at a decent pace.

Want a good strategy? Bring a team. Be in and out quick. Such as you and two friends. Have one jump in line (allowing people to bypass, if the line is not long yet) right when they open and have the two other people go grab specific items (not overlapping). Best procedure. I did it this way once before, worked great. My GF would get in line, while I shopped. Was awesome. In and out quick. I think I got all my BF shopping done within 1hr. That included Fry's and Circuit City, started at 6am, was home at 8am. That included a 45minute IHOP stop.

Let me put it this way: Fry's is the only store I plan on visiting on BF and I probably won't see the full ad until the morning of the sale. :p

As mentioned above, it does depend what you're looking for. It works out best if you have more than one person so if you want anything from the camera (also TVs) or laptop areas (also monitors, desktop), extra people can wait in those lines while other(s) grab stuff off the shelves. Plus that works out better if you want more of a "limit 1" item.

Exactly what this guy said :), Exactly. I was there early the night before last year with friends, we hadn't even seen the ad, worth every minute out in the cold. We walked away with some killer deals :)

They have some pretty good deals. It's hard to obtain their Black Friday Listings ahead of time. They'll probably list about 1/3 of it the night before and the rest on Black Friday morning. I know because I lined up last year and we found out all the deals only at the last minute in line at the door.

Want a good strategy? Bring a team. Be in and out quick.
I'm usually out of Fry's by 5:20am. I know where everything is because I shop there so often and I also scout the store on Wednesday night before closing.

sweet thanks for the replys guys i will be defenatly going there this year.

m6

I'm calling E8400 and P5Q under 220 this year.
I was going to use a ridiculously low priced Asus board as an example of setting expectations too high for the OP. :p I don't think you'll see that combo at that price.

LOL ive already got a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L and a Q9200 oc'ed to 2.9ghz (soon to be higher.). i want to get a X58 board though. he he he

it is tough to get the Fry's ad ahead of time. they are very tight with it.

Your right it's very tough to get something that has not been printed yet. I work at a newspaper (not hard to figure out which one <--) and they do not print the ads until right before they ship out the door. I haven't checked the schdule but last year they did not print them until Wed evening before Thanksgiving. The normal Fri ad prints on Thursday morning but the Black Friday ad seems to be pushed late every year, probably on purpose. Fry's cuts a deal on the national level and the local paper has no control over how much they pay for the ads, this I know about. I'm sure they also are controling when the ads are printed. Hope I'm wrong on the last part, I want to see the ad too.

I'm holding out for Fry's for some nice 45nm + mobo deals. They seem to have slightly less violent/crazy shoppers in line early, unlike BBY and CC. I've never heard of their ad getting leaked more than a few hours in advance, which is pretty incredible for them to pull off.

I am also hoping for a nice CPU+mobo combo this year from Fry's.

Two years ago I snagged my just released E6600 for $289, which was a significant sale over the prevailing price of the time.

Then this last year they had a similar great deal on the relatively new Q6600.

I'm hoping they decide to offer an i7 for a nice discount, which would somewhat fit the trend of the last couple years. Even if the CPU price was roughly the same, but they bundled it with a steeply discounted mobo, I'd be happy.

Your right it's very tough to get something that has not been printed yet. I work at a newspaper (not hard to figure out which one <--) and they do not print the ads until right before they ship out the door. I haven't checked the schdule but last year they did not print them until Wed evening before Thanksgiving. The normal Fri ad prints on Thursday morning but the Black Friday ad seems to be pushed late every year, probably on purpose. Fry's cuts a deal on the national level and the local paper has no control over how much they pay for the ads, this I know about. I'm sure they also are controling when the ads are printed. Hope I'm wrong on the last part, I want to see the ad too.

well considering the ad is usually been through a few hands by the time the printer gets it, you would think it would have leaked somewhere.... or not :)

darn i guess i am gonna just have to see whats there when i get there... i live 2.5+ hrs away from the closest one :D and am driving down thursday hopefully. i would guess they have the adds/specials listed at the front door? or somewhere else the morning of?

Many people in line will have the ad. Just ask nicely to look though it for a few minutes. There will probably be plenty of time before the store opens. :p

I usually print it out before I go to wait in line.

would be a pleasant surprise to see a i7 combo on there....i could use a new build

although last year i was in line FOREVER ugh lol

would be a pleasant surprise to see a i7 combo on there....i could use a new build

although last year i was in line FOREVER ugh lol

So like, what, you're sending these posts to the forum over an iPhone or a wireless laptop while you're still in line? :D

was rolling my eyes over the crap they try to sell such as those cheapo power strips...prolly will be the same thing this year

was rolling my eyes over the crap they try to sell such as those cheapo power strips...prolly will be the same thing this year
Amazing! You captured the 7 page BF ad in a single sentence, sight unseen!

I was just looking over the three Fry's BF receipts from last year and it's finally hitting me that I didn't actually get incredible deals on computer hardware, electronics and other stuff! I went there for the $0.99 power strips! I guess i'm going to have to bite my tongue and go again for those cheapo power strips! :p

Back