Black Edition DeathAdder Users: Rough Texture Fix

Ryun

Limp Gawd
I had considered necro-ing the thread that explained the problem really well but I figured this would be easier to find if anyone else was looking for a solution. Here's the original thread on the subject by the way: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038498615#post1038498615

Essentially, over time (in my case a little over the year) certain sections of the plastic, non-rubberdized portion (top) begins to become rough -- it feels gritty, almost like sand paper. Cleaning the mouse will not fix this.

It was very annoying to me and after getting rejected for warranty repair (Razer made it clear that this was due to "wear and tear") I decided to fix it myself.

The very first thing I tried was some plastic polish found here: http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-06208...&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=mothers+plastic+polisy

I first cleaned the mouse with a slightly damp cloth. Then put about a quarter sized amount of the plastic polish on a terry cloth and scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed...

At first, this worked but I think this particular plastic polish works more by filling in than using micro-abrasives. So, after a few weeks it was back to being textured on the areas that felt gritty the most intially.

Thinking I needed to try something actually abrasive, the next thing I tried was a brand new Mr. Clean magic eraser. This did the trick for me, and while I can't attest that the mouse feels exactly like it did when I bought it, it's far and a way much better. By that I mean, the texture of the plastic portion might not feel the same, but it is smooth and no longer had a gritty feeling.

It involes a lot of scrubbing but if you're suffering from this issue you will appreciate the end result. All I did was put a very small amount of water on the eraser and scrubbed. It may take a few runs. Also, make sure you do this when you're done with the mouse for the day. You will leave tiny, wet pieces of the magic eraser behind and it's much easier to clean the mouse when these tiny pieces dry.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the tip. Mr. Clean products work well on a a lot of pc related hardware. I'm beginning to see some build up on mine and will remember to pick something out next time I go out.

Back