Bizarre X-550 problem

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Zyxel X-550 wireless router.

When the router is hooked up, I have serious trouble downloading anything from usenet. Individual articles download quickly once they start downloading, but there are long, unpredictable delays between articles downloading where the connection appears to be simply *waiting*. This leaves the bandwidth history graph a series of spikes with nothing at all between them.

It happens with multiple firmware versions, factory defaults, etc.

When I plug my computer directly into my modem, I get sustained high speeds.

Does anyone have *any clue* what might be causing this?

Faulty router? If you get full speed plugged directly in and different firmware doesn't help, I would guess you have a bad router.

You know, I tried every version of the firmware and just ended up back at the ancient 1.2 (current is 1.6).

And it works.

It lacks a couple of features but performance is blistering compared to 1.6. Sustained 8 Mbps newsgroup downloads, sustained 1 Mbps upload speeds that I hadn't seen in over a year and just figured were the ISP's fault.

Now I remember why I loved this router. I never should have upgraded when 1.3 came out.

You know, I tried every version of the firmware and just ended up back at the ancient 1.2 (current is 1.6).

And it works.

It lacks a couple of features but performance is blistering compared to 1.6. Sustained 8 Mbps newsgroup downloads, sustained 1 Mbps upload speeds that I hadn't seen in over a year and just figured were the ISP's fault.

Now I remember why I loved this router. I never should have upgraded when 1.3 came out.
I have a netgear wireless card like that, I have to use drivers that are 4 revisions old other wise the card will not work.

Back