• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bizarre CPU fan problem and possible solution

Spacetrucker

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
65
If you've seen some of my other posts, you'll know for a while now I've been trying to identify the source of an irritating high pitched whining noise from inside my case. After swapping out my Antec PSU for a Seasonic one I have now found the culprit to me my Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 CPU Fan. What is causing the noise is the fan blowing air onto the silver fins above it, creating a windy, whistling-like noise. Here's a pic of the Freezer 64 to better illustrate what I mean:-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...4 80mm Ceramic Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

When I push those 2 black things on the fan holder ever so slightly, the noise stops completely. I've had the fan off, and have tried tightening the screws etc all to no avail. I thought about tieing the 2 black arms together to create enough tension to stop the noise but don't know what material to use for it. My latest idea is to have something covering the fins above the fan altogether. I tried sliding a thin bank card under there and it worked perfectly - no noise. Should I do something like this? I mean it doesn't affect the airflow as the fan blows at the CPU and around the rest of the case. All help much appreciated. :)
 
I've been told covering the fins is a bad idea as they are what dissipate the heat - is this true? Pretty new to all this as you can tell.
 
Is the black curved piece of plastic causing the whisting? If so, maybe a little tape might help.

if not, then maybe still use tape on a different area, as long as you don't block a major part, u should be fine
 
theyangster said:
Is the black curved piece of plastic causing the whisting? If so, maybe a little tape might help.

if not, then maybe still use tape on a different area, as long as you don't block a major part, u should be fine

No, the angle of the fan blowing into the silver fins is what's causing it. Like I said, I've been told not to cover those fins under any circumstances as I'll have a heat problem on my hands. So I'm pretty stumped now.
 
Don't use tape as it will just fall off.

Use some heat resistant cable ties (Tefzel Fluoropolymer Cable Ties or Stainless Steel) as you can get them in various lengths and they are very slim so they won't affect your fins but you can tension them to suit.

They won't loosen or fall off again until you cut them off.

Simple.
 
MellowDude said:
Don't use tape as it will just fall off.

Use some heat resistant cable ties (Tefzel Fluoropolymer Cable Ties or Stainless Steel) as you can get them in various lengths and they are very slim so they won't affect your fins but you can tension them to suit.

They won't loosen or fall off again until you cut them off.

Simple.

How would I use the cable ties? Put them in between the fins? Sounds like a promising idea but I'm just wondering how you would suggest I do it.
 
I'm probably gonna try simpy putting some tape around the 2 black arms on the fan holder to create enough tension to stop the whining.
 
Spacetrucker said:
I'm probably gonna try simpy putting some tape around the 2 black arms on the fan holder to create enough tension to stop the whining.

Just use the cable ties around the black arms and rethink it again after that if you still need improvement.
 
Back
Top