Bizarre Connection Issue

kevinzak

Limp Gawd
Alright, so my ISP has been no help at all (surprise, surprise!), so I thought I'd get a little input from the wise folks at [H] and see what we can't come up with.

I live a few miles out of a relatively small town. We have an internet contract with a local wireless ISP. Very satisfied with the service up until now. Very decent speeds for a fairly rural environment and it reaches the house a few miles out.

Essentially the problem we have been having (for about 48-60 hours now) is that every 30 seconds to 3 minutes, our connection will drop completely for like, ten seconds. For instance, if I have a ping -t going in command prompt, it will throw four or five "Time Out" errors during these periods. We had a technician come out and check our signal strength, as well as make sure our alignment was good, and everything was fine. Very strong signal. Yet the issue persists.

I have eliminated the router as a possibility as the problem still occurs when plugged straight into the office PC (and when going through the router, it happens on all workstations, not just the office PC). The way the tech talked, we're the only ones having the issue.

I'm dreading that it could be a cable issue. We have around 200 feet of direct burial CAT5e (good wire, nothing cheap) underground encased in sealed schedule 40 going straight to the house. On the other end, it goes up a ~10-12ft tower (cable enclosed in flex tubing all the way up) to the ISPs mini-dish that serves as the actual send/receive point (we had to bypass a row of trees is why it's not mounted on the roof or anything).

I would honestly be shocked if it was the wiring; I worked hard to make sure it was done right so I wouldn't have to be pulling new wire through every year. I haven't been able to take a laptop out and try it with a different ethernet cable (the dish is powered over ethernet, so that makes it a bit more complicated to do). With cabling it doesn't seem to me like it would be so intermittent, though. It does get worse when we put a constant strain on the connection (for instance, if I log in to an MMO where it's constantly communicating, it happens more frequently than just casual browsing.).

I wasn't here unfortunately when the tech did the signal test so I don't know how long he ran it, but could their be something causing interference from their tower to our dish? I'm just truly lost on this one. It is frustrating when the people handling the service have no idea what's going on. They said they would enable logging on our connection over the weekend and see what they can find out (which I was not all that cracked about, to be honest. Nothing to hide but at the same time, I prefer privacy).

Anyway, just figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. We've tried the basic stuff like cycling the dish's power and as I said, the tech checked alignment and the signal's strong. It's absolutely killing me, though, so if someone had an epiphany I would be pretty grateful. Thanks!

do you have a router or other local PC you can do a ping -t to?
not knowing exactly what equipment you have....

edit: ok, I pushed my ADD out of the way, hah. You have the issue without the router... in that case, what I would do, is when you get the ping failing to respond, to a tracert. This will tell you where the signal is failing. Although... what kind of connection is your router configured for? DHCP, PPPoE?

Our ISP has a wireless system. When issues like this happen it tends to be either a flaky power supply causing the receiver to reboot or signal interference (hop interference) and the unit reboots when it's not getting signal. The signal hop periodically shifts the send/receive frequency slightly to try to overcome interference. If a band of hop frequencies are bad the unit may think it's not getting signal and reboot.

Without letting the ISP log the connection they won't be able to see this problem in action.

Just my thoughts

Back