Bittorrent users help a brotha out!

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I am having trouble finding a working port forwarding/triggering setting for my router.

My GF uses alot of BT on her machine and it is behind my router not in DMZ.

Now I have tried forwarding a single port and also a range of ports and it makes no difference she is getting firewalled speeds.

I turned on upnp for a bit just to see what BT was going to do, and it setup WAN ports 1722 to lan port 6969 and that worked and gave her full speed, however I do not want to use upnp. I want to be able setup a manual rule and have it work.

I am wondering what settings/ports you guys have been successful with.

Also, if I try to create that same setting (1722/6969) manually, setting from to 1722 and "to" to 6969, what do I set in BT? 1722 or 6969?

I also tried setting trigger port 6969 and triggering range, say... 6881-6891, but that did not work.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

BT seems to be the p2p app that is the most sensitive to this stuff. Any other p2p app seems to work fine with just a simple straight port forward.

well what i usually did was to forward the port range 6881-6969 or whatever to her lan ip.
worked like a charm for me

I generally go for higher ports, in the 15000 range. ISPs don't block them and I tend to have better luck.

Have you gone to www.portforward.com and followed the step-by-step instructions?

I generally go for higher ports,

I tried using higher ports without any luck.

I know how to do this stuff and I have never had problems with any other application. I figured a simple trigger rule would work. BT talks to tracker first on 6969 usually so I figured that could be trigger port, but for some reason it doesn't work as it should.

What BT client is she using, as most of them now do not use the 6881 to 6999 range anymore.

she is using the standard one from bittorrent.com

I tried talk her into using a 3rd party one... but the standard one did work fine on my old router... and I am probably going to set it back up if I can't get it to work right with this one.

Port triggering always worked fine and as expected on my old router... using the 6881-6999 range too. I am not a noob with setting this kindof stuff up either... that is why I am scratching my head. I don't use BT very often myself and when I do it works fine because I always have my machine on the DMZ. I just never imagined it would be this finicky when it comes to router setup.

I have also tried increasing the maximum port connections and also decreased the udp/tcp timeouts. didn't make too much difference.

ok an update:

when I checked bittorrent.com earlier I noticed that the place looks like a big media website. I remembered it being beige brown and touting open source.

Turns out the new client is not even OS anymore... and that got me thinking and I told my GF that she needs to begin using a 3rd party OS client for a variety of reasons... anyway... so we install azureus, and I still had my router still setup using a trigger port opening the 6881-6999 range... well everything works great!

All this headscratching and the problem seems to be the stupid closed source "new" bt client.

I had no idea that everything has changed so much in the BT arena lately... anyway, not only does azureus work fine, but I figure that with the bt.com client closed source and alligned with so many big media companies, it's probably safer to be using an OS 3rd party client anyway.

I tried a million different port forwarding/trigger configs, I tried about 4 different firmwares (dd-wrt, hyperWRT, tomato, ect...), and the problem seems to have been the "modern" bt.com client.

i would suggest that you use uTorrent, very lightweight, and fast
around 200-300kb for the whole program, cant remember exactly.
very very low on resources compared to azureus. you should try it

I will try that on my machine if I ever need to download a torrent.

Hers is running now with azureus and she is happy, so I am going to let it be.

Back