Bitlocker on W7 question

Hey all, I'm just starting to use bitlocker so I have a few questions:

1. My physical drive is divided into two partitions (volumes), C and D respectively. The boot partition is on C while my user data is on D. If I only choose to turn on bitlocker for D, I'm assuming I don't need to enter a USB key every time I boot up my computer? I'm also assuming that the sectors on the disk containing C will not be protected and that only sectors containing D will be protected?

2. I heard one can choose the encryption scheme on bitlocker, between 128 bit and 256 bit. How is this done?

3. Going back to question 1, if someone stole my computer and ripped out the harddrive to install into another computer, they would only be able to see the files on C (unprotected) while the partition of D will be completely protected?

Thanks.

Markus

You can only have automatic unlocking of a data partition if the boot partition is encrypted with Bitlocker. If you don't want to have to attach a USB key, you could enter a password to unlock the drive each boot.

To the best of my knowledge, you heard wrong. Bitlocker is Bitlocker; the encryption scheme is the same everywhere.

Back