Biting the 64-Bit Bullet?

Poosnarf

Limp Gawd
Damn, I just found out my 3.0C P4 won't OC worth crap on my Asus P4P800-E Deluxe. The other stuff is all really high-quality, so I don't think anything but the mobo could be the culprit. Other than that, maybe it's the Thermaltake 480w Silent Purepower holding the whole thing back.

Anyways, my real question is this. Should I suck it up and go 64-bit with a Skt939 3500+ and an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, or keep the P4 and get an IC7-G Max-II? I'm a lucky-bastard high school student with a job but no bills, so I can afford either.

Save up for college? Hahaha....

If the P4P800-E can't overclock, I doubt the IC7-G-Max-II can (at least far enough to be worth it).

The A64 will be extremely fast, yet extremely expensive. I took the S754 route and don't regret it at all :)

I'm changing from the P4 over to the A64. Come on in the water's just right, rather than boiling in the Prescott pool.

I have a P4 3.0 with the MaxIII and I've reached 3.8 with Corsair 3200. Had to play with it for a while, lost a raid in the process as well, dont ask me how that happened.

I'd wait to see how the 90nm A64's coming out in about two weeks time will do. I've heard pretty good (unofficial) info on them.

I've heard that the new 4000 and the fx-55 will not be 90nm but, anyways ... as for me i'll stick w/ my 2500 until the new nForce 4 boards come out and I can get PCI-X and DDR2 on the bastard .... no use in spending extra money only to upgrade everything in less than 6 months :D

If I were u I would be looking at this route and just suck it up on ur crappy o/c P4 for the next month or two

Have you already tried to oc your proc on someone elses board?

What type of memory ru using?

I'm using 2x512MB Kingston HyperX PC4000 RAM. It's pretty nice, because even though my proc/mobo can't take advantage of a 250mHz FSB, it'll do 2-2-2-5 stably at 200mHz. SL6WU's aren't M0 2.8's by a long shot, but they still do 250 FSB on a semi-normal basis, right?

I tried swapping the RAM and proc into a friend's Max3, and it runs beautifully up to 270 FSB. Looks like I'll be getting a new 478 mobo, saving the bucks, and shooting myself for jumping in feet-first with an AGP 6800GT and mad-expensive Kingston memory. Oh, I can see it happening a year and a half to two years from now: $150 for an nForce4 mobo, $350 for a pretty speedy A64, $500 for 2 gigs of some good DDR2, $500 for a 7800 Ultra (my guess)...and that's hoping the prices on DDR2 ever fall. Uh...Unreal 3 engine dominator, anyone?

I'm using an asus p4p 800e deluxe and I'm pretty much maxed at 3.8 @ 1.7 volts on air, hopefully the better cooling I'm getting will help

Originally posted by lentic
as for me i'll stick w/ my 2500 until the new nForce 4 boards come out and I can get PCI-X and DDR2 on the bastard .... no use in spending extra money only to upgrade everything in less than 6 months

Although that sounds like a really sweet upcoming setup, I highly doubt that pci-express and ddr2 will show major improvements over current ddr and socket 939. nForce4 will hopefully be sweet though, that's prolly what I'm gonna upgrade too around january as well :D

Back