Bitfenix Shinobi XL

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
There is another review of the Bitfenix Shinobi XL case out today, this time it is the gang at techREACTION doing the reviewing. Here's a quote to get you started:

Today we have their new take on the Shinobi, the Shinobi XL. The Shinobi was a great mid tower that we took a look at awhile back and we are hoping the XL just builds off that greatness. The XL sports internal USB 3.0 headers, along with a new SuperCharge port that supplies 2.5A, up to 5 times what USB 2.0 provides, to help charge your portable devices. There is improved wire management inside the XL, which we will be sure to examine.
 
It's a nice case, to be sure. But in reading over the review, I couldn't help but think at several points "This seems more evolutionary than revolutionary." Didn't the Corsair Obsidian 800D do pretty much everything this case has to offer (with an aluminum faceplate) 2 years ago?
 
Does anyone out there even use a XL-ATX motherboard, and if so, why? Quad-GPU? What kind of applications are you running where you need that much power in one box?

I'm genuinely curious. This seems like the rarest of rarefied air; the land of $1000 server CPU's, GPU setups that cost as much as a year's car payments, electricity bills to match, and enough hot air being blown out the back to keep a hot air balloon aloft.

And don't just say folding@home, unless that really is the only reason you built something like this.
 
It's a nice case, to be sure. But in reading over the review, I couldn't help but think at several points "This seems more evolutionary than revolutionary." Didn't the Corsair Obsidian 800D do pretty much everything this case has to offer (with an aluminum faceplate) 2 years ago?

I don't see why you would ever compare those 2 particular cases.

$280: Corsair 800D - 7 expansion slots, will handle an EATX mobo - but it does have 4 hot-swap bays, very compartmentalized design

$160: BitFenix Shinobi XL - 9 expansion slots, will handle XL-ATX mobo - no hot-swap bays, open layout

Just depends on what you're looking for...
 
I don't see why you would ever compare those 2 particular cases.

$280: Corsair 800D - 7 expansion slots, will handle an EATX mobo - but it does have 4 hot-swap bays, very compartmentalized design

$160: BitFenix Shinobi XL - 9 expansion slots, will handle XL-ATX mobo - no hot-swap bays, open layout

Just depends on what you're looking for...

Actually, there's room for EATX if you really wanted to on the Shinobi XL. I measure 35cm.
 
Actually, there's room for EATX if you really wanted to on the Shinobi XL. I measure 35cm.

My apologies - I had thought that XL-ATX was larger than EATX and was trying to make that point. Incorrectly! :D

I find it really dates the 800D when you realize that it only has 7 expansion slots.

I only have an ATX motherboard, but because my bottom PCIe slot is 8X I want to use it for a dual-slot video card. Unless I have at least an 8 expansion-slot case I can't do that.

I currently have my videocards almost touching each other and they run too warm to overclock.
 
XL ATX - you can think of it as up and down. (requires more PCI slots)
E-ATX - you can think of it as <this way>
There's 35cm <this way> on the Shinobi XL.
 
Back
Top