BitFenix Introduces The Spectre Xtreme And Spectre Xtreme LED

HardOCP News

[H] News
With the introduction of dual frame design of the BitFenix Spectre Pro series we raised the standards of system fans to a new level. The new BitFenix Spectre Xtreme fans offer many features redefining the standards of cooling fans. Spectre Xtreme gives you the best performance and aesthetics using the latest in cooling fan technology and innovative designs. Cooling fans used in liquid cooling systems not only need to have a high airflow but also they need to be optimised for static pressure. The newly designed blades of the Spectre Xtreme not only look good but also improve the airflow of the fan to 66CFM while maintaining optimum static pressure. This makes the Spectre Xtreme fans an ideal choice for liquid cooling solutions.

BitFenix Spectre Xtreme is engineered to provide an extremely silent performance. Use of high quality Fluid Dynamic Bearings have reduced the noise levels while increasing the efficiency and life expectancy of the fans. Carrying on the signature dual frame design of the Spectre series, the new Spectre Xtreme frame design provides a high level of noise dampening due to the use of TPU the construction of the frame. The result is a fan that can operate at different fan speeds from 950RPM to 2000RPM. The aggressively designed Spectre Xtreme comes in a wide variety of colours and options. The black Spectre Xtreme comes without any installed LEDs, while the Blue, Green, Red and White ones do. Special care has been taken to match the Green LED with the light emitted from NVIDIA GeForce GTX stock coolers. Adding to the customizability of the Spectre Xtreme, the illuminations can be toggled with the jumper cable.

Do these support PWM? Not sure if you would know, but its worth asking as Bitfenix has never replied to my multiple tickets over the years, do you know if these fans will work with the Colossus Windows' LED control system?

This:

Adding to the customizability of the Spectre Xtreme, the illuminations can be toggled with the jumper cable.

gives me hope but I've wasted money on a few Bitfeix fans over the years that said the same on the box but didn't have the lead to work with the Colossus Window. For the past year and a half I have the last 2 of those fans whose LEDs are just always on because I gave up on Bitfenix.

Thanks!

I've tested four 200mm fans recently, oddly, just about every model except the Bitfenix models. The Thermaltake Pure 20 and the Phanteks 200SP are the least bad. Coincidentally, they require the most current (0.4A (likely peak) and 0.2A respectively). Phanteks seems to pull in a bit more air at a lower RPM (800 vs 850), but otherwise the two operate identically and are utterly quiet. The Phanteks looks nicer, so that's what I've used until realizing that I'm not going to get the temps/clocks I want in my little cube with air cooling. 200mm fans, in general, need a couple hundred more milliamps to be useful. Something with a sustain 0.4-0.5A and 1000-1200 RPM range would be a decent piece of kit.

NZXT and Cooler Master Megaflow were weaker, and those run at less than 0.2A like the Bitfenix. They struggled to get more than 700-750RPM. I wouldn't recommend going that route.

If you *must* have a big ass fan, I'd recommend the Silverstone AP18 series (or FM181). They run at double the power and move a lot more air. Downside is that you're going to hear them. Also the AP182 pulls like 2A max, so has to be controlled manually. It'll fry most motherboard connectors.

Personally though, I've downsized to 140mm. The Noiseblocker eLoop B14 is an extra thick (29 vs 25mm) fan that pushes a lot of air at low sound levels.

Last edited:
I only want silent fan at 200 mm. I am using 3 x NZXT fan at my current phantom 820 case right now, but I may be switching over to a new case. I thought BitFenix has a good name.

The reason I haven't touch Thermaltake is the members here a few yr. ago, told me their dB level are bull shit no.

I can tell you the TT fan itself is dead quiet. You don't even hear air until it hits 800RPM. It's ugly though, IMO I can't speak for TT's other fans. I'd consider the NZXT's as exhausts, but with a dust filter on front they barely pull in air. I don't think I had a defective example, as it revved up to 750RPM.

Maybe it was just my case. Best of luck in your purchase.

In that case, since I'm planning to get a tempered glass case, I won't mind a few fan with good CFM and LED.

But I'll compare the CFM of TT among others w/ Noctua though

Back