• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BitDefender, MalwareBytes, Adblock ... and?

lordsegan

Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
624
I am currently running BitDefender, MalwareBytes, and Adblock. Am I missing anything in the current suite of recommended products?
 
I haven't had Malwarebytes find anything in ages. I stopped using it about a year ago as my other AV apps were finding stuff left and right but Malwarebytes found zip.

I tried it again just a few weeks ago on a known infected drive, just in case it had improved and once again it found nothing while MSE / Combofix etc. all found plenty.

Highly overrated.

I would add in EMET3.0 to your setup. Its designed to stop the stuff that the AV apps haven't been advised of and Zero Day stuff. Do a search. Once installed I set it to maximum and add in all the internet facing apps on the PC. You can instead import the All list from the EMET program folder if you dont have the time to do that.
 
You'll get plenty of differing opinions regarding what is "recommended". ;)
I use Avast Free, MBAM, and ADB w/[H] whitelisted. The only other app I have that I'll use is Hitman Pro.

I'm contemplating switching from Avast Free to Bitdefender Free but I'm still testing it myself.
 
Looks good. I also like to use NoScript. Malwarebytes seems to block everything that NOD32 doesn't for me so I myself have no qualms about it.
 
Is EMET intrusive? What does it actually do?

Nope not intrusive at all.

Essentially it switches on all the other hardware/software security features that MS is just too pussy to switch on as standard.

DEP/ASLR/SEHOP.

Stops all the zero day stuff. If an application is pushed to or works in an unapproved way then EMET simply shuts it down instantly.

Do a search for more info.
 
I actually do quite a lot of virus cleans for customers, probably about half a dozen a month. It's interesting to see what folks are using.

From what I see the likes of -

McAfee
Spybot S&D
Malwarebytes
Adaware
AVG

Totally useless. Waste of hdd space.
 
I actually do quite a lot of virus cleans for customers, probably about half a dozen a month. It's interesting to see what folks are using.

From what I see the likes of -

McAfee
Spybot S&D
Malwarebytes
Adaware
AVG

Totally useless. Waste of hdd space.

So you are saying that those programs don't clean? Or catch stuff?

Which do?
 
McAfee
Spybot S&D
Malwarebytes
Adaware
AVG

Totally useless. Waste of hdd space.
Agreed. And I'd add NOD32 to that list now too. Bootkits/rootkits always seem to get through.
Fee A/V: Avast/Avira. MSE used to be decent.
Paid A/V: Kaspersky. That is all that is worth paying for IMO.

Superantispyware is decent for the adware/toolbar/crapware removals.
 
I actually do quite a lot of virus cleans for customers, probably about half a dozen a month. It's interesting to see what folks are using.

From what I see the likes of -

McAfee
Spybot S&D
Malwarebytes
Adaware
AVG

Totally useless. Waste of hdd space.

I still love MBAM but the others I agree are not that good at all.
 
Well the current set of scanning tools I use on an infected drive are as follows -

MS Security Essentials
Clamwin
SuperAntiSpyware

Then once thats all done the drive is put back in the machine and Combofix is used to mop up any leftovers and put back any registry changes.

I have on occasion used the Kaspersky bootdisk but not keen on the main AV.

If an AV stops finding stuff over time then its dropped. The one I'm using currently at the moment are being effective. That can all change of course. Always looking for alternatives.

Unfortunately most AV firms forget that with AV, other than its detection powers, less is more.
 
As well as using the listed products, make sure you're keeping your OS and programs updated as well. It's helpful to occasionally scan with Secunia PSI and/or the Qualys BrowserCheck (https://browsercheck.qualys.com/). It's also a good idea to harden your OS. If you're up to date and use hardening techniques, there are less vulnerabilities to be exploited.
 
How do you guys determine which AV or antiadware software is good?

http://www.av-comparatives.org/ is an interesting source. Do you guys think that site is legit for AV reviews? I looked at the "Real World Protection Test," and Avast didn't do THAT well, although not badly.
 
Is it important to have a firewall? Not nearly as important as having AV, right? I don't know much about firewalls at all.
 
Is it important to have a firewall? Not nearly as important as having AV, right? I don't know much about firewalls at all.

Having both is important. Windows has a built in firewall that is on by default. Leaving it on with default settings is better then nothing, but there are tons of sites you can hit for advanced settings should you choose to do so.

Besides that, make sure all your patches are up to date, all of the time. Keep your OS patched and especially java and adobe products, if you use them. I've uninstalled both from all of my systems and I don't miss them. Those third party products are the biggest vector for infections on the desktop.
 
I've uninstalled both from all of my systems and I don't miss them. Those third party products are the biggest vector for infections on the desktop.

How do you go without Flash? Don't most online videos require it? YouTube for instance?
 
If I'm not mistaken YouTube also uses HTML 5. I just hit the site and was able to pull up and watch a couple movie trailers and it worked fine. No Adobe anything on my computer... ;)
 
Back
Top