Bitcoin Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a birthday cake with bitcoins.

I must be doing something wrong since there were no drugs involved. Maybe meme ate them all :(

so does anyone else mine on their main rig while surfing teh interwebz...? 6850 (900/300) pulling about 210MH/s while surfing (drops to about 70MH/s while watching Youtube though), also, has anyone else changed the billing on their light bill...? I switched to budget billing (takes an average of the past 12 months usage so you pay a set amount every time), it lessens the blow of the immediate impact of the increased power usage, it might increase the amount I pay by a few dollars a month instead of a few huge bills during the summer months, I'm cool with that...

Last edited:
I left my main rig mining at 540 mhash/s. Pulls about 430 watt from the wall. That's before calculating in the 85% efficiency. I pay only 10c a kilowatt so doesn't make a difference if I switched to budget or not. I surf on my laptop. Gonna stop gaming for a while so I can take advantage of this. No upstart cost for me. Haven't put a dime into this other than what I already had. If I make enough to buy more, then I will.

Heard you can buy drugs and other illegal things with this. Where can I get some? :rolleyes:

8 OCd 5830s turned my spare bedroom into a sauna and tripped a breaker last night. On top of that i practically need earplugs to work in there lol.

Makes me appreciate my near silent water cooled main rig mining in the living room. It would be nice to play game again one of these days tho lol.

8 OCd 5830s turned my spare bedroom into a sauna and tripped a breaker last night. On top of that i practically need earplugs to work in there lol.

Makes me appreciate my near silent water cooled main rig mining in the living room. It would be nice to play game again one of these days tho lol.

Honestly bitcoin for me is a way to justify hardware since I can't find any games I like anymore :( I love playing with hardware way more than actually using it.

But I know what you mean about the watercooling....my rig is SO LOUD with the fans on 60%. My cpu is watercooled but I should really throw some blocks on the video cards.

i set all the fans to 80% to try to keep temps inline. It is stupid how loud/hot the room is.
I will end up moving it to the garage soon so if i burn the place down i wont lose my house.

My 2nd 5830 is sitting in the UPS depo, like 10 minutes form here, won't be delivered till monday.

very frustrating.

My 2nd 5830 is sitting in the UPS depo, like 10 minutes form here, won't be delivered till monday.

very frustrating.

Do they have a customer pickup? Not sure if they're open on Sat. Worth checking though.

Only after a failed delivery attempt.

yep, this is part of the stupidity involved in shipping, you want to pick it up...? wait until we try to deliver it first even though it'll only take a few minutes instead of days...ugh...this is as bad as the "did you pay for faster shipping...?", no...? then it'll take the same amount of actual shipping time, but we'll just ship it at a later date while it just sits on the shelf until then (what happened to me)...

One of my 6950's died cause I tried overclocking while mining. :( Looks like I lost a lot of potential cash.

heh thats exactly the opposite of what happened with my 5830 from newegg. It ships from CA and is supposed to be heading to PA. Later that day I check the tracking and its in Seattle, WA. I check again a few hours later and it was put on a plane and landed in DFW. Then it gets put on a plane to NJ the next day, and I end up getting it in 2 days, instead of the usual 3 that the free 3 day takes to get from CA to PA.

i set all the fans to 80% to try to keep temps inline. It is stupid how loud/hot the room is.
I will end up moving it to the garage soon so if i burn the place down i wont lose my house.

i use my gaming machine to mine while im asleep/at work
i leave CCC to control the fans, as one of them rattles if i leave it at 100% for long periods of time

in an AC room gpus are up to around 90'c, after 9 hours of running at 100% load, i guess max temp for 5870 is around 105ish? fans are at like 45% on each 5870

My room is an oven even with AC on....

ya i closed the ac vent and door to the mining room. I just leave the window open and hope no one jumps in and steals it all.

These 5830s are never coming back in stock.

They do. Just gotta be REALLY quick. They were on newegg for almost 20 mins yesterday. I saw them in 3 times this past week. Pulled the trigger the on a bunch of them on the first one and got them installed and mining already.

Fortunately I already have machines with several free PCI-E slots free so an hit of $109 for each of those cards isn't that big of a deal. Even with increases and a bear price it should at worse take 2 weeks (3 max) to pay off. And if not, I'll basically have a ton of cards for a deep discount. I can ALWAYS use more cards. :D

I raised the clock from 880 to 900 and the voltage a tiny bit (like 1137 I think in afterburner). After doing that my displays shut off and now it artifacts in the BIOS and won't boot into Windows

They do. Just gotta be REALLY quick. They were on newegg for almost 20 mins yesterday. I saw them in 3 times this past week. Pulled the trigger the on a bunch of them on the first one and got them installed and mining already.

Fortunately I already have machines with several free PCI-E slots free so an hit of $109 for each of those cards isn't that big of a deal. Even with increases and a bear price it should at worse take 2 weeks (3 max) to pay off. And if not, I'll basically have a ton of cards for a deep discount. I can ALWAYS use more cards. :D

I've been sitting here watching newegg all day and most of yesterday. Nothing yet. Please let me know if you see them in stock.

I've been sitting here watching newegg all day and most of yesterday. Nothing yet. Please let me know if you see them in stock.

I doubt newegg get new items in on weekends. Last time they got a bunch in stock was last Monday when I orderd mine. I would check then

thinking sempron 140, maybe undervolt it if possible
But would like to run the 5870s at about 950/300

I thought my sempron 140 is holding my 5850 back, the cpu kept spiking to 100% but then I realized that it was because of CCC being open and to the forefront. Now my cpu is only sitting at about 5-10% except my hash rate still flops between 215-265 Mhash/s

Seems to be quite finicky, sometimes it will stay running fine other times it will just lose connection every minute for a few seconds over and over. In hindsight I should've spent the extra for the powerline ethernet having had to switch to wireless due to "aesthetic" reasons.

I've been using TightVNC and RDP. Although now that you bring it up, this does explain why RDP works funny sometimes, although I'm pretty sure I've gotten it to start sometimes.

Teamviewer wasn't playing nice when I was having to connect to vpn for work so I went back to my tried and true method. Hamachi with all my BTC computers on a network then RAdmin for gaining remote access.

so does anyone else mine on their main rig while surfing teh interwebz...? 6850 (900/300) pulling about 210MH/s while surfing (drops to about 70MH/s while watching Youtube though), also, has anyone else changed the billing on their light bill...? I switched to budget billing (takes an average of the past 12 months usage so you pay a set amount every time), it lessens the blow of the immediate impact of the increased power usage, it might increase the amount I pay by a few dollars a month instead of a few huge bills during the summer months, I'm cool with that...

Yeah, but it's only until my new parts come in. This one already pulls over 700w at the desktop... And that's without mining! I'm just afraid to see what it pulls while mining and folding...

Offtopic but damn I'd pay $20 for an iphone app that connected to a program running on my PC that allowed me to see real time hardware monitoring (cpu AND gpu temps, fan speeds, ram usage, uptime, etc)

All forms of non-physically backed currency's are a bubble, they have to be, it's just a question of "can the bubble hold on" until the majority of people get on board. Once everyone is involved then it simply becomes the socially agreed upon item of value to trade.

US dollars are a "bubble." They are made of paper and trash metals that are backed by absolutely nothing and are printed freely by the Fed, yet everyone agrees they have value because everyone is already so heavily invested in them that it truly benefits each person to just keep the bubble going (for now). It seems maybe silly to bash bitcoins because they have no "real" value. At least there isn't a bitcoin government that prints trillions of extra bitcoins and steals value directly out of your hand :S

Don't worry about bitcoins being in a bubble, that doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem, that's literally the only thing that can occur on it's journey to becoming a real currency. The question is: can the bubble hold on and not crash until more people get involved. At this point the success or failure of bitcoin as a commonly accepted worldwide currency depends on how the masses perceive it's validity and safety.

U.S. dollars are not a bubble, they're a currency, backed by the U.S. government.

You are correct that U.S. dollars have value only because everyone agrees that they do, but this agreement is not going to change unless society collapses or the U.S. government collapses. Meanwhile, bitcoins are backed by nothing except whatever small number of people are currently willing to pay money for them, nearly every one of which is buying because they believe the price will keep going up exponentially.

Is it possible that the whole world will someday accept bitcoins as a legimate currency? Yes, of course it's possible, but it's very, very unlikely. The major governments of the world clearly wouldn't like some weird competing digital currency, and could easily take steps to shut it down.

More importantly, why would people in general accept and start using bitcoins? What is the advantage to taking your dollars or euros and trading them for bitcoins, and then using these bitcoins to buy things? Why not just buy things directly with your dollars or euros?

Also, there's one highly important thing stopping bitcoins from being accepted as currency, and that's that anyone can (and will) create bytecoins, bitdollars, electropesos, intercoins, and so on. There's nothing stopping anyone from making 1, 2, 5, 10, 50, 100 different competing digital currencies. In order for bitcoin to become an accepted global currency, it somehow has to outcompete all the others which will soon be created if this whole thing doesn't crash and burn very soon.

U.S. dollars are not a bubble, they're a currency, backed by the U.S. government.

lol, US dollars are not backed by the U.S. government...

this just gets better and better...lol

unintentional comedy at it's finest...

I thought my sempron 140 is holding my 5850 back, the cpu kept spiking to 100% but then I realized that it was because of CCC being open and to the forefront. Now my cpu is only sitting at about 5-10% except my hash rate still flops between 215-265 Mhash/s

you have it at stock...? I get 100MH/s more than that on my 5850...

lol, US dollars are not backed by the U.S. government...

this just gets better and better...lol

unintentional comedy at it's finest...

The federal reserve backs them and it's a fiat currency. But still better than any other currency out there. Don't be an idiot and claim bitcoins are better.....

you have it at stock...? I get 100MH/s more than that on my 5850...

I get 265 on my stock 5850. That seems about right. I could get more but I dont wanna OC it and peg it at 100%. This is my gaming card and I need it to last me till I build another rig and that might be a while.

Let me get this straight .... This is my "general" understanding of bitcoin please correct any misconceptions I might have. You get a "Work order" and you computer does calculations and you get paid in bitcoins which can be used like money in certain situations? And the value of bitcoins fluctuates?

The federal reserve backs them and it's a fiat currency. But still better than any other currency out there. Don't be an idiot and claim bitcoins are better.....

- show me where I have said bitcoins are "better", quote me if you can, search every post I've ever made, and show me the quote, I'll be waiting...

- so where was I wrong in the post that you quoted...? I'm guessing you quoted me to show where I was misinformed, the Federal reserve and US government are totally separate, so how is my statement (the one you quoted) wrong...?

- how is it better than any currency out there...? is it because you have some...? if you have X amount of US dollars and I have an equal amount of Euros which is "better"...?

who's the idiot here...?

This piece of shit Corsair CX600 psu I got from microcenter is dropping to 11.65v under load measured via multimater. It's literally worse than my CX400. The mhash of my cards on the WHS is alternating between 250 and 100....plus random hard reboots.

Let me get this straight .... This is my "general" understanding of bitcoin please correct any misconceptions I might have. You get a "Work order" and you computer does calculations and you get paid in bitcoins which can be used like money in certain situations? And the value of bitcoins fluctuates?

You should probably just read the wikipedia article on bitcoins, but:

Bitcoins are an attempt at creating a new digital currency. There are 6 million of them out there, you can trade your dollars or euros for them and then, maybe, use them to buy things.

Bitcoins originally come from "mining". The bitcoin network needs computers on it to run the network and process all the transactions, and there has to be a way to get new bitcoins into the system (up to the total of 21 million, at which point no more appear). So you "mine" bitcoins by being on the network and trying to solve a pointless but difficult set of equations, and every 10 minutes whoever gets lucky and solves the equation gets 50 bitcoins.

The more processing power you have, the more likely that you will be the lucky recipient of the 50 bitcoins. Except, there's so much processing power in the network now that the average person, with the average gaming computer, will only solve the equation and get their 50 coins once every 250 days. So, people pool their computer resources so that the pool is getting a bunch of coins every day, and you can actually get 1 coin every 5 days.

Because the price of Bitcoins has been bid up so high (up to $15 currently), people have tried to make money by buying rooms full of computers with dozens of graphics cards (most of the work of the "mining" is actually done with graphics cards, not CPU's, as graphics cards can do large numbers of simple equations simultaneously, while CPU's can not).

Well, the story goes on from there, but I'm sick of typing for now. Keep in mind that this whole system is going to collapse soon enough and the coins will be worth nothing.

The US dollar is going to be removed from existence within this decade...

:eek::D:rolleyes:
wow, maybe as the defacto world currency (I don't think it will be replaced but simply shared with the € and yen, depending there the trades take place).

I've heard some off the wall financial predictions, but this is up there. For a number of reasons, for example the cost would be astronomical (the euro only just made it in and with hindsight many of the countries wouldn't join).

Where do you get this stuff?

The all mighty dollar is worth 5% of what it was 100 years ago. That does not say much for its so called value.

Bitcoins are an attempt at creating a new digital currency. There are 6 million of them out there, you can trade your dollars or euros for them and then, maybe, use them to buy things.

Bitcoins originally come from "mining". The bitcoin network needs computers on it to run the network and process all the transactions, and there has to be a way to get new bitcoins into the system (up to the total of 21 million, at which point no more appear). So you "mine" bitcoins by being on the network and trying to solve a pointless but difficult set of equations, and every 10 minutes whoever gets lucky and solves the equation gets 50 bitcoins.

The more processing power you have, the more likely that you will be the lucky recipient of the 50 bitcoins. Except, there's so much processing power in the network now that the average person, with the average gaming computer, will only solve the equation and get their 50 coins once every 250 days. So, people pool their computer resources so that the pool is getting a bunch of coins every day, and you can actually get 1 coin every 5 days.

Because the price of Bitcoins has been bid up so high (up to $15 currently), people have tried to make money by buying rooms full of computers with dozens of graphics cards (most of the work of the "mining" is actually done with graphics cards, not CPU's, as graphics cards can do large numbers of simple equations simultaneously, while CPU's can not).

Well, the story goes on from there, but I'm sick of typing for now. Keep in mind that this whole system is going to collapse soon enough and the coins will be worth nothing.

"maybe" spend them...? I have proof that "maybe" is not the answer here, there is currently a few ways to spend them on Amazon and Newegg, so "maybe" spend them has turned into, yes, you can spend them to buy products at arguably the two biggest e-tailers on the internet...

your numbers on what sparked the "gold rush" frenzy is way off, when it got up to $30 is when the craze really took hold...

Your post contains a bit of inaccurate information. There is no "maybe" buy things with them. Bitcoins are easily converted into USD or online purchases from e-tailers such as amazon and newegg through 3rd parties, and this has been done by trustowrthy people here and other places who vouch for their legitimacy. While value may rise or fall against the dollar, they ARE currently used as currency.

Additionally, 1 coin every 5 days is on the low end, if one is running in a pool and using even one 5830, a reasonable expectation is 1/3 of a BTC per day at current difficulty. That number will drop in the very near future as more people mine.

Whether this whole thing crashes or not is pure speculation at this point. You cannot say with anymore confidence that it will crash than the previous poster could opine that one BTC could hit the $1000 USD mark. Either one could happen tomorrow, but honestly, your sarcasm and know-it-all attitude is irritating.

Whether this whole thing crashes or not is pure speculation at this point. You cannot say with anymore confidence that it will crash than the previous poster could opine that one BTC could hit the $1000 USD mark. Either one could happen tomorrow, but honestly, your sarcasm and know-it-all attitude is irritating.

Whether or not I become the president of the United States one day is pure speculation at this point, but it's pretty damned unlikely.

Bitcoins are either going to become a globally accepted currency, with each one worth $100,000+ dollars, or they're going to crash back to nothing. Since there is absolutely no reason to believe the former, the latter is much, much more likely.

Bitcoins are not a currency at the moment. They are a commodity which is experiencing a speculative bubble. The buyers are nearly all buying because they believe the price will continue to go up exponentially, not because they want to use bitcoins as currency. Everyone is buying because the price keeps going up, which makes the price go up more, which causes more people to buy. This can't go on forever.

While we don't know for sure how this will play out, that doesn't mean that the odds of it succeeding are 50/50, any more than the odds of me becoming president are 50/50. Especially when you take into consideration that dozens of new digital currencies will be started to compete with bitcoin (assuming it doesn't collapse very soon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back