Bitcoin Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just waiting for that one mofo that will dump EVERY coin he has (100k+) when it tops at around $30 a coin. But how does that all work though? I have not cashed any coins yet. Do you just Sell you coins and the person has to buy it at market price? Or is it more like a proposed sell, and the person can agree or disagree?

I'm just waiting for that one mofo that will dump EVERY coin he has (100k+) when it tops at around $30 a coin. But how does that all work though? I have not cashed any coins yet. Do you just Sell you coins and the person has to buy it at market price? Or is it more like a proposed sell, and the person can agree or disagree?

It's more of a bid type deal. However, IMO the best way to convert them is places like bitegg.com Less hassle.

Spendbitcoins.com lets you buy from amazon + newegg and on top of that gives better rates than bitegg. For example bitegg right now is paying ~$12 per coin, while spendbitcoins is paying $15.93

Spendbitcoins.com lets you buy from amazon + newegg and on top of that gives better rates than bitegg. For example bitegg right now is paying ~$12 per coin, while spendbitcoins is paying $15.93

can you buy an amazon gift card that you can use later? i dont have anything i want now, but something always comes up eventually on amazon.

Amazon gift cards dont expire.

is that what you buy from spendbitcoins.com? a gift card? it seems from their directions that you have to pick something out on the site and give them that many bitcoins or something? can i just tell them i want to exchange 3 bitcoins for a gift certificate in the equivalent amount?

So I'm on the fence. Already have my bigadv folding rig set up with extra PCI-E slots. Free electricity, incredibly fast internet, and I found a decent deal on two new 5830s. Not looking to make a lot off of them, but getting a decent discount on upgrading the weakest part of my system would be nice.

Yes, no?

is that what you buy from spendbitcoins.com? a gift card? it seems from their directions that you have to pick something out on the site and give them that many bitcoins or something? can i just tell them i want to exchange 3 bitcoins for a gift certificate in the equivalent amount?

Just buy a gift card .... lol

So I'm on the fence. Already have my bigadv folding rig set up with extra PCI-E slots. Free electricity, incredibly fast internet, and I found a decent deal on two new 5830s. Not looking to make a lot off of them, but getting a decent discount on upgrading the weakest part of my system would be nice.

Yes, no?

if youre going to, then do it asap and overclock them to maximize your returns. its pretty late in the game, but if youre going to upgrade then now is a good time as you should be able to make back most of the cost of the cards. unfortunately, the up front cost of 5830s is pretty high right now, but if you can get them for around $100 each then its not too bad. they will (probably) be going for way cheaper in a month or two most likely when people stop making money off mining and sell off their cards, so if youre not in a hurry, or dont want the heat/noise associated with mining, then thats an option too for a cheap upgrade.

Yes, no?

If you want them anyway, do it. Dont buy them just because you think you'll make a buck off them. That way anything you DO make is a bonus. Its quite possible you'll pay them off and make a profit, but I think the losers in the bitcoin craze are going to be the ones that buy hardware just to mine with. If you got a good deal on the 5830s and you would have considered buying them if bitcoins didnt exist, then yes, absolutely, do it.

so thats a yes?

Have you at least clicked any of the links?

image2bj.jpg

Have you at least clicked any of the links?

snip

haha ok thanks. thats what i was looking for. i went to the site but didnt know the info i needed was through a link and then in tiny font at the very bottom of the page in a light font on a light background. im at work and didnt want to search their entire site structure for the info that might not even be there.

The best part about selling those 2 computers for $1700 each was that I have a 5 business day handling time and "stress testing" period. Basically, I'm going to have 8 5830's going for me all weekend plus monday and tuesday.

I'm such a capitalist pig.

Who's got the balls to buy 'em up at this price? I wish I did cause there's a nice profit to be made by day trading this shit.

In theory the best combo is SDK 2.1 with 2010 drivers like 10.3 or so. However, SDK 2.4 with recent drivers running phoenix and phtak works quite well for Cypress chips. That said, er typed, each gpu behaves very differently and requires the sort of ritualistic behavior us older types used to associate with making touchy NES cartridges work properly.

Honestly, this looks like a classic dead cats bounce. I believe we will be in the single digits. If it hits $5, I might buy some.

I've already started seeing reviews on gear that really are a terrible buy for mining, claiming that it brought their mining rate way up.

Though I will admit bitcoin was the straw that broke the camels back on my second 6970. Yeah, it's for the bitcoin mining....really.

could be that sort of bounce, the "market" has rallied before. Everything all depends on who goes first a volume buyer or a volume seller.

Just managed to get some 5830's up and running on my WHS.

Dremeled out the 1x pci-e slot and it works great with no adapter cables or anything for the 2nd 5830.

Catalyst drivers have to be installed in XP compatability mode and then go into the ATI technologies folder and install the Open CL separately.

Successfully mining now on whs!

The best part about selling those 2 computers for $1700 each was that I have a 5 business day handling time and "stress testing" period. Basically, I'm going to have 8 5830's going for me all weekend plus monday and tuesday.

I'm such a capitalist pig.

watch that karma brah, fuck around too much and Lady Karma will have your rigs coming back in a few weeks demanding their money back after "they" put it to use for a week or two mining while the gettin' is good and then getting their "investment" back, ebay and Paypal love them some buyers, and sellers often end up getting the short end of the stick...

just sayin'...

In theory the best combo is SDK 2.1 with 2010 drivers like 10.3 or so. However, SDK 2.4 with recent drivers running phoenix and phtak works quite well for Cypress chips. That said, er typed, each gpu behaves very differently and requires the sort of ritualistic behavior us older types used to associate with making touchy NES cartridges work properly.

it is not just theory, at least in my case (5850), I was jumping around the high 340s up to about 352, I uninstalled SDK v2.4 and installed SDK v2.1 and it shot up to 362-366 with the exact same clocks, today is really fucking hot though (in the mid 90s), so I've had to downclock to 870/290 to keep the GPU temps under 60°, the system locks up at a little bit over 60° while mining so I'm only doing about 335MH/s...

Last edited:
And that wol-va-rine is why I'm quitting the mining biz. When it comes to trying to get new mining hardware my Karma has been preemptive like Rincewind's.

I've seen the around the 24th of this month.

This 5830 is not a happy overclocker, It won't even take a 25mhz bump. 240Mh/s in stock trim though.

watch that karma brah, fuck around too much and Lady Karma will have your rigs coming back in a few weeks demanding their money back after "they" put it to use for a week or two mining while the gettin' is good and then getting their "investment" back, ebay and Paypal love them some buyers, and sellers often end up getting the short end of the stick...

just sayin'...

I'm a top rated powerseller and I stated absolutely everything up front, including no guarantees of profits and the handling period of five days.

They've got no chance at winning a dispute against me. I take pictures, ship insured, and have 100% feedback.

So a week, lol. Maybe I'll sell my 5830s right before then. With my 5850 coming and if I got my 5770 going again, my production wouldn't drop much if at all, and I should make a nice little profit.

Some other info: you can definitely do crossfire 5830's on a good 400w psu as long as you're not overclocked. I'd go 430-450w for overclocked.

The total power consumption of my WHS including 5 hard drives (2 of them 6 year old power hogging 7200RPM hitachi's) is 458w from the wall while mining at stock clocks.

With 80% effeciency, that means I'm only pulling 366 from the wall.

If you subtract the 5 hard drives, you can probably even overclock on a 430w. I might return this cx600 I bought.

my single 5830 system pull's 238-252w from the wall.

I should specify that the system is an old dell 775 pentium setup, so its not the most efficient power wise.

Last edited:
I have a silverstone 500w powering my server atm, It's also got a 620w antec, but I didn't want to run the drives, and its a nightmare to attach and detach the power cables from the drive, so its mounted in the case while the silverstone is sitting next to the case actually powering the board and card. I just need to look for a 6 pin adapter and I might give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back