Bit the bullet! Right Choice?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
I was going to order the xfx 9600gt for $185 shipped cause I only play games @1280x1024 or 1600x1200.

I ended up deciding on the MSI 8800GT OC for $225 shipped with a $20 rebate bringing the cost to $205 . I hope that the extra pixel shaders will come in handy when new games comeout and require a lot. The only thing that scares me is the msi warranty is based on the cards manufacturing date rather then purchase date ...*** is that lol! You think I made the right choice?

Hopefully I'll be able to run:
Company Of Heroes and Company Of Heroes Opposing Fronts
World In Conflict
Battlefield 2142
Far Cry
Call Of Duty 4
Rainbow Six Vegas 2

all at high settings

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

j/k

You made the right choice. The only thing you could have done differently would have been to go with a eVGA 9600 and step up to a 9800GT or GTX. However that would have exposed you to some risk and probably cost a lot more money than you want to spend. You did the right thing!

You made the right choice. The only thing you could have done differently would have been to go with a eVGA 9600 and step up to a 9800GT or GTX. However that would have exposed you to some risk and probably cost a lot more money than you want to spend. You did the right thing!

You'd also hope that nVidia releases the 9800GT or GTX within your step-up. Remember, even though a card might be announced, it might not show up for a couple weeks. In the end, you end up paying pretty much full price depending on how much you paid for the card you are stepping up from plus the difference plus shipping.

But overall, you made the right choice as it seems the 9600GT is slower, which is to be expected.

so people are saying no to the 9600 and yes to the 8800 then...

is that if only doing 1 or 2?

im going to try and piece my machine together soon..
and im leaning towards 2 x 9600 gt........
bad choice?

<hijack off> :p

so people are saying no to the 9600 and yes to the 8800 then...

is that if only doing 1 or 2?

im going to try and piece my machine together soon..
and im leaning towards 2 x 9600 gt........
bad choice?

<hijack off> :p

I'd rather grab 2 8800GT for $50 or $60 more...

WIC at 1920x1080 with my 8800gt is playable in XP. I avg about 35 fps in the benchmark at very high settings. At 1600x1200 you should be fine.

I'd rather have 1 8800gts, than 2 9600s, sli sucks, plus you'll save money on a cheaper motherboard.

SLi would be better if you gained more performance from adding another card. I'd love to see atleast 100% increase in FPS but that would never happen. That doesn't mean its bad or anything as the technology itself is pretty interesting.

Back