Bit the bullet on a 13" rMBP today

No, I'm pretty sure she knew what I was talking about. She didn't look confused... she actually said, "no but we have the Haswell iMacs".

She didn't mention they have Haswell Airs?

Went into the local Apple store this evening... asked if they had any Haswell MBPs in. She opened her mouth, then audibly shut it, and said no, just the iMacs... so something is afoot.

I've heard 3 weeks can't name sources but I was told my quote would take at least that long for some reason

On a retail level they really know nothing about new stuff. Why the hell would they honestly? but considering the iMacs just got haswell I am sure they will for the MBP(and retina) by the end of the month about the same time OS 10.9 comes out.

Well the rMBP is still working out well. Biggest complaint is still the MagSafe 2 connector doesn't seem to be anywhere near as magnetic as the old T or L connectors.

As for the '09 MBP, I had time finally to take out the logic board. There wasn't a drop of noticeable liquid on it. It was also not nearlu as dusty as I figured for a 4-year old notebook.

I saw a video on jump starting it which didn't work so I put it up for a few hours. I then find another video showing how to jump start it off the keyboard connector, which did the trick but the screen was acting funky. I ended up shorting out another pin that finally turned it off. I reseated the LCD ribbon and the screen was normal. So if it's just the keyboard it looks like a ~$20 investment and a bunch of time to take it apart again. I didn't take the keyboard out this time but I was reading they are pretty much toast after a liquid spill. I didn't think it was worth the time in an attempt to clean it to save a little bit of money since it's likely not going to work.

Only downside right now is my battery indicator quit working after I jump started it though and I'm not sure why. It worked before I got it to start. But I'll take that over not being able to test to make sure it still works because I was about to list it on Craigslist for parts really cheap.

I'm right there with you.

I almost bit on the Macbook Air after the Haswell update but I can't take the resolution after seeing the rMBP.

I put Mavericks GM on my Mid 2011 Air this weekend. Much snappier!™. I may skip on the rMBP after all!

Well I figured I'd give another update, even though the new ones are out. In the end I didn't return the rMBP for the Haswell update even though I was still within my 45 day Best Buy return window. I didn't feel like it was worth the price difference, time to back-up my wife's stuff on this one, make sure it was wiped well, and the drop to 4GB of RAM on the base config. Still incredibly happy with the purchase. She doesn't like the lack of a Superdrive because she can't burn CDs from it but I suppose I could keep my eye out for one of those external ones for cheap.

As for the old '09 MBP, we happened to notice a local flea market was going on today so we stopped. One of the vendors had a busted up '08 alum that looked like it was worse than drop damage so I'm not sure what happened. Told him I was interested because I had one a year newer that needed the keyboard replaced but I wasn't sure if it would be compatible. He said he'd sell it to me for $10. Mind you the case is trashed with several screws on the bottom completely stripped, the glass and LCD are busted and pieces falling out, and I don't even know if it POSTs or if the keyboard work. I told him I'd keep looking around and if I found anything else I'd pull money out of the ATM. Didn't find anything else so I stopped by and told him I'd give him the $5 I had in my wallet. He agreed.

It took almost 5 hours to do the transplant, including cleaning the keyboard with rubbing alcohol, Lysol, then more rubbing alcohol because it had a funny smell. It was a lot more work than just doing the Apple method of replacing the entire upper case, but it was worth the savings in my opinion. The keyboard was a near-direct replacement, just had to replace the keycaps for backlighting on F5 and F6. Not sure if I am going to sell it, keep it as a backup, or use it for my school work yet.

I have a 2012 13 rMBP and Haswell 13 rMBP and I must say the difference is very minor in day to day use. I would not pay the difference to upgrade.

I get really good battery life on both, 8+ hrs, and with Mavericks I have never had UI sluggishness or issues.

I have a 2012 13 rMBP and Haswell 13 rMBP and I must say the difference is very minor in day to day use. I would not pay the difference to upgrade.

I get really good battery life on both, 8+ hrs, and with Mavericks I have never had UI sluggishness or issues.
I'm tempted to upgrade but I have a 15" so it seems like it might be only a sidegrade at best.

but wow is the pcie ssd fast as lightening on the newer models. I upgraded my gf's 2011 air to the 2013 and her old air 256 samsung (which was a desired ssd for its speed over the toshiba) was only clocking in at around 200ish read and her 2013 air is reading at over 700!

I'm still enjoying my 15" rMBP. It's an excellent all around machine, it seems. Works fine for gaming as well.

I've been using this dedicated gpu 15" MBP for a few weeks now. The retina display has more vivid colors but otherwise its a disappointment after the 17" screen. Too little real estate, even after scaling the screen to match 1920x1200. Probably the smaller screen size makes it feel more cramped even though the resolution should match the old one. The default 'retina' setting is just retarded you get like 2 letters and then you need to scroll already :D

Battery life is good and the thing runs much cooler than the old 17" from 2011. Also the SSD is a nice bonus. Otherwise I was a bit underwhelmed on the package you get for 2600 euros.

I've been using this dedicated gpu 15" MBP for a few weeks now. The retina display has more vivid colors but otherwise its a disappointment after the 17" screen. Too little real estate, even after scaling the screen to match 1920x1200. Probably the smaller screen size makes it feel more cramped even though the resolution should match the old one. The default 'retina' setting is just retarded you get like 2 letters and then you need to scroll already :D

Battery life is good and the thing runs much cooler than the old 17" from 2011. Also the SSD is a nice bonus. Otherwise I was a bit underwhelmed on the package you get for 2600 euros.
Download Retina Display Manager: http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to/

It'll let you set the resolution as high as 3840x2400. I use it at 2880x1800 and it's amazing.

The 2012 15" rMBP is such a great machine. Will probably be good for another 3-4 years.

Currently using a 2012 13" rMBP, good but I feel like the 2013 model is what they really wanted to make.

Back