• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Birthday present advice

Josh123

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
338
Ok guys, my birthday is tomorrow and last night the fiancee and I were playing WoW and I mentioned something about wanting a new graphics card. She then asked if I would like one as a birthday present since she really doesn't know what to get me. My question to you guys is, should I wait a little bit or go for an ATI 5000 series? I told her they are about $150 and she said "That's fine" so........what do you guys think? 5000 series or wait for Fermi?

Right now we only play WoW and I'm running an eVGA 8800 GTS G92 but can tell there is some chop when a lot of stuff is on screen but nothing to bad. I also play Modern Warfare 2 every now and then.
 
WoW will always chop with lots of stuff on the screen, more of a lag issue...however you can chop with a higher res, more AA, etc. MW2 and other stuff will benefit though!
 
8800gts is more than enough to play wow maxed

choppiness in wow is a cpu and network lag issue.

if you get chop in dalaran it's because of engine coding issues, essentially that big of a floating island over a zone is something the engine wasn't designed for when it was created.

that being said, 5850 would be your logical step, or take that 150 and get a better cpu (guessing, i don't know what you have) if what you mainly play is WoW
 
Im not convinced buying to a budget will get you more when Fermi is released, unless you buy ATI card that drops in price as reaction to Fermi, but things drop in price over time anyway so really just comes down to how soon do you want to upgrade.
 
8800 GTS is more than enough to play wow at high... I used to playu it with an integrated intel graphics card lol
 
I wouldn't buy a better card just for WoW. Other games maybe but not for WoW alone.
 
If your budget is $150, you'd be wasting your money on a 5-series. The 5770 is the best you can afford, and that's really just a step and a half above the 8800 GTS 512.

Logic:

8800 GTS 512 is a half-step behind the 9800GTX+/4850/5750
This is a full-step behind the 4870/5770

You'll get maybe %25 more performance, and then only if you aren't CPU-limited. Such a waste for $150. Save your money for a 5850, and a processor upgrade.
 
Cancel your WoW accounts. In a few months, with the money you save you'll be able to get a real graphics card and in the meantime you'll gain back a life. Win win.
 
Cancel your WoW accounts. In a few months, with the money you save you'll be able to get a real graphics card and in the meantime you'll gain back a life. Win win.

do people actually get that hooked on that game? i can go for about 5 months where I get really into it...then the community drives me away and i quit for like 6 months
 
Cancel your WoW accounts. In a few months, with the money you save you'll be able to get a real graphics card and in the meantime you'll gain back a life. Win win.

What about a win win win?

conflict-resolution.jpg


Also if I quit playing games why even bother getting a new graphics card? :)
 
Back
Top