BIOSHOCK (sound issue)

brasscorpion

Weaksauce
Sound is not working any ideas???

It works at startup but once it goes into 3d game mode when I hit the water the sound quits.

Is there a patch or do I have an incompatability issue???

HEELLLLPPP
Brass

I assume you're running Vista, since that's the only place I've seen this bug. You need to run Bioshock in compatibility mode for Windows XP. Here are instructions if you need them.

Will I lose all the DX10 graphics "niceness"?

You are correct I have windows Vista and I have drivers installed for Realtek HD audio.

On-board sound in my signature.

Brass

This is a known issue with RealTec sound......I havent seen a good solution yet, as there may not be one......

suggestions:
apply patch 1.1 from cultofrapture.com, use the worldwide version if you have a US retail DVD copy, go to Steam or whereever if you D/L the game.
second, make sure you have the latest sound drivers
Third, D/L the OpenAL sound library (you can google that)
last, use at least a 169.xx video driver

Good luck......Ive been tweaking this damn game for 4 months and finally have it running correctly.
Also go to tweakguides for help if you need it. 2K forums are worthless.

I don't know if setting it to XP's compatibility mode will force a DX9 rendering path. However, even if it does, I'd put up for slightly worse graphics to have sound. It is a huge part of this game, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice playing without it.

I worked thru all the suggestions and the sound now works. Which is 100% better...BUT...the things stutters a lot.

The sound works but the stuttering is really killing me. I can't here the Radio guy sometimes and I can't turn the volume up because when it stutters the sound is LOAD.

Anyone hear of this issue or been able to solve the sound stuttering issue?

For a game that is to run under "VISTA" and to be cutting edge this is really bad!!! Great game...I love the idea of PLASMIDS and DNA altering...but technically the game is a mess!

Brass

I had to uninstall GomPlayer for my sound to work due to a codec conflict. It sucks cause GomPlayer is such an awesome piece of fee software. The solution was on the 2k forums as posted above btw.

Back