Bioshock PC 24.99 YMMV

digiram

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just at Target today, and they had Bioshock on sale for 24.99.

How are you going to price match it to Best Buy when it doesn't even show on targets website that they carry it for the PC. It just shows the 360 version.

Saw it in store in CA as well. Meh, I will wait till it drops to $9.99 and then send in my registration with the amount circled and a friendly note suggesting this is how much it's worth.

Saw it in store in CA as well. Meh, I will wait till it drops to $9.99 and then send in my registration with the amount circled and a friendly note suggesting this is how much it's worth.

Game of the year worth $10? Ok...

Yeah I don't quite get this remark either. I understand being annoyed with the installation/uninstallation requirements, but it's still an excellent game.

I'll check Augusta, Georiga and see if target has it on sale for the same amount.Target and BestBuy are very close to each other. Maybe I'll have to take a picture with the cell phone and get the camera and sound guys name. Go to BestBuy, price match and use my $10 rewards coupon. That will be great!

I just ran to Target here in Miami on my lunch break. It is $24.99 here too -- fortunately, there were still 2 left. Thanks digiram!

Just came from Target over here in Orange, CT. It's $24.99. When you get there, there is no mention of it. The display says the regular $49.99 price. But when you scan it, it comes up at $24.99. So if you go there and you see it says $49.99, don't be discouraged! Scan it. It'll probably ring up at $24.99 like it's suppose to.

Boo Yaka! Boo Yaka! Just hit the Target on the way home from work and the spot on the shelf was empty... Just when I gave up hope I spotted the last copy on the front of the aisle on my way out w/ the 49.99 price tag but I saw the temporary price cut sign for $24.99 on the shelf so I scored too. Thanks OP! :D

Edit: This was an Omaha, Ne store

How are you going to price match it to Best Buy when it doesn't even show on targets website that they carry it for the PC. It just shows the 360 version.

Last I checked, Best Buy didn't match internet prices. So it has to be something in stock in a flyer or on the shelf. Every price match I've done, Best Buy has actually called the store to verify both the price and that it's in stock.

Last I checked, Best Buy didn't match internet prices. So it has to be something in stock in a flyer or on the shelf. Every price match I've done, Best Buy has actually called the store to verify both the price and that it's in stock.

What are you talking about? The store had it clearly marked as 24.99 through January 21st.

It's not an internet price. Now if they won't price match, i'll just return it to Best Buy.

What are you talking about? The store had it clearly marked as 24.99 through January 21st.

It's not an internet price. Now if they won't price match, i'll just return it to Best Buy.

Read the quote, sir, not just the response.

DaNotoriousDOM said:

Demon10000 said:

I'm saying that, even if it's not on their website, Best Buy should be able to call the store and verify the price and stock. It doesn't matter if it's not on their website, as long as it's on the shelf or in an ad.

Thanks OP!!! Got one at Elgin store last night. Like 3 or 4 left when I picked it up about 9:30 PM.

Thats sooo much OP, been wanting this game but 50 bucks wasnt gonna cut it. Got mine at the goodyear target.

Read the quote, sir, not just the response.
I'm saying that, even if it's not on their website, Best Buy should be able to call the store and verify the price and stock. It doesn't matter if it's not on their website, as long as it's on the shelf or in an ad.

That's fine, and I did miss that; however, if you can buy the item in the store (which means that it's in stock), you can price match at best buy. The only reason to price match is to get the 110% of the difference discount.

With that said, this is what you can do if you're worried that Target will sell out before you can price match and both stores are nearby:

Buy it at Target. Go into Best Buy with your Target receipt and buy it from BB for $49.99.

Walk over to customer service and get back get it for 22.49 + tax.

You save money. Makes me wonder just how much markup there are in these games.

Make sure to run this in virtual pc or on a junk partition. For me, I refuse to run this until they remove their rootkit virus.

Theres a virus in the game?

Apparently there's some fairly draconian copy protection/DRM in the game. I'm going to eventually reinstall windows again (current install was intended to be temporary), so no biggie to me...and I'm pretty sure there are patches to remove some (all) of the restrictions....do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of complaints....for $25.00, I'll live with it till I go to vista.

I'll take rootkits for $500 alex... if you consider safedisc and securom + activation a virus which I do then yes, there is a virus in the game. VM or reformat is the way to go on this one. It is a shame though since it was a pretty good game. Not game of the year mind you, but pretty good especially if you like the old kitchy fallout vibe.

Or you could just use that same $25 to buy Galactic Civ 2 which has no copy protection save for getting the updates and get alot more replay value for your money. Rome:Total War including the expansion pack is on sale at Fry*s for $15 this weekend as well. Two older games to be sure but far better replayability imho and you don't need to have video cards that can run the ice level in Crysis either.

Not everyone likes rts games, i would much rather take an awesome virus fps than a rts any day. But thats me, the price is right on this game right now too, since its only single player.

Lol just looked up rootkit and about the virus on the game, and they say there is no virus on it, just seems like one to some shitty ass microsoft scanner, but i would like to see some one prove it is a rootkit virus. Anyone can prove it?

Not everyone likes rts games, i would much rather take an awesome virus fps than a rts any day. But thats me, the price is right on this game right now too, since its only single player.

Care to send me your credit card information? I'll even place your order for Bioshock for you. ;)

BTW, try Giants Citizen Kabuto. Great game and graphics still hold up (granted it's no Crysis).

Hmmmm....
snip
Yeah.....

No need to get snarky; I was just trying to throw out some options and good deals to boot. It's not like I said it sucked or disparaged the length of your e-shlong or anything. I'm saying they took an excellent game and through some rather unfortunate decisions brought it down to just pretty good.

As far as the links go, I'm assuming you don't have a working knowledge of the press so I'm not going to hold that against you. First, IGN...really. I will see your hmmmm yeah and raise you a slow I weep for the future sigh. Second, I could try explaining the complicated machinations of the press machine but I don't want to waste your time or mine, suffice it to say that factors such as revenue generation, story replication and repetition all come into play. Lastly and this is key, the way a critic looks at anything is decidedly different from average experience of the product.

Case in point: Bioshock. While from a critical standpoint, I would agree with you and the press that an argument can be made, very persuasively I might add, that it is the game of the year. However, throw in install issues, activation troubles, over-hyped good vs. evil decision paths which boil down to an irrelevant binary opposition, ripping off/inspired by SS 2, the Fallout series and Atlas Shrugged all of which had greater depth, no replay value... are you starting to see my point. These are all things easily overlooked by critics because they are insulated by scope and medium. Is Bioshock great aesthetically? Yes. Is it worth $25 bucks? Not in my opinion nor is it goty worthy. Aesthetics are great but not at the expense of innovative gameplay, depth and ease of install/pick up and play.

Sorry to get off on a rant here but Bioshock strikes me like an interesting piece of modern art. Sure it's aesthetically pleasing and you are glad you experienced it for the short amount of time it invaded your consciousness but that doesn't mean you are going to snatch it up to stick in your foyer. In fact, five or ten years later it will barely be but a memory: just like Bioshock.

Oh and since we are throwing out links http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock

Relax dude. No one is getting "snarky". I was just trying to inform people. 90% of websites have Bioshock best game of 2007 and the other 10% have it in the top 3 behind Call of Duty 4 and Crysis. No ones trying to show how big their "e-shlong" is. Majority usually rules. If you don't think it's goty worthy, thats fine. It's all a matter of opinion when it comes down to it anyway. But that is NOT what you originally said. You stated that it's NOT goty. Most people say otherwise and I was just showing that. Even commercial sites (like IGN) and completely independent sites (like Game Revolution) alike both have Bioshock as game of the year. Anyway, this is not the place for game reviews. Back to the deals!

Relax dude. No one is getting "snarky". I was just trying to inform people. 90% of websites have Bioshock best game of 2007 and the other 10% have it in the top 3 behind Call of Duty 4 and Crysis. No ones trying to show how big their "e-shlong" is. Majority usually rules. If you don't think it's goty worthy, thats fine. It's all a matter of opinion when it comes down to it anyway. But that is NOT what you originally said. You stated that it's NOT goty. Most people say otherwise and I was just showing that. Even commercial sites (like IGN) and completely independent sites (like Game Revolution) alike both have Bioshock as game of the year. Anyway, this is not the place for game reviews. Back to the deals!

I think I'll have to correct you here. He was indicating that it wasn't goty worthy, not that it wasn't goty. There is a difference, just like when a crappy movie like Titanic gets Academy Awards because Leonardo DiCaprio is in it. Not saying this game is crap, for I haven't played it so can't make a statement one way or the other, but you do need to recognize the difference between when someone makes a statement of fact versus a commentary about that fact. I also know it's easy to pick stupid arguments over semantics even when it's pretty obvious what someone meant just because you don't agree with what they said and feel the need to find a way to refuse it. But his statement was a matter of opinion, as was clearly evident from the tone of his post.

I saw Bioshock for $24.99 at Target again today. I wish they'd sell Crysis for that price!

What install issues? You couldn't figure out how to install the game? :confused: My copy installed without any issues.

It was a PIA for me to install too LOL I had to disable UAC and Driver Signature enforcement to get it to install on Vista 64. Once installed it runs great no problems though seems like a great game so far!

Back