• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bioshock Overhyped?

Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
52
Ok before I start getting flamed hear me out. It looks great, has great water effects, great storyline, and is truly a spiritual succesor to system shock two. But frankly the game is rather short, has no multiplayer, and rpg elements are minimal. Did I mention it was really easy?

First of all there is no true customization options. You can't open a inventory. All item customization are on the fly and you really can't stock up on food and health items. The AI while it can be smart works way too much in your favor and the game is frankly way too easy to get through. As much as you can do the game feels dumbed down so that it will appeal to the everyman crowd. Fact is its really lacking in a lot of areas.

Its a pretty good game. But not the best game of the year. And definetly not as great as it is being called...
 
I didnt like it and i should have never bought it but i gave into all the hype...

And got some kinda root kit installed as well....
 
A game is not that great if they can't get mouse acceleration and widescreen done right.

I liked it, don't get me wrong but I think they fucked up in too many areas to be awarded anything like GOTY.
 
I didn't find it particularly short for a SP FPS. But it was too easy. And the combat became repetitive. It didn't deserve all the 10s, that's for sure. The gameplay amounted to a standard FPS. Although the plasmids and tonics made it a little more than that, many were redundant. I wished it had more of an FPS/RPG hybrid feel with a true inventory system. Yeah it was overhyped and the console co-development hurt what it might have been otherwise. The story, art concept, and sound were 10s. Some of the best in many years. But the core gameplay was nothing special.
 
It kind of pisses me off, that legit users have to deal with a limited of amount of installs and install a rootkit for a hassle of a game. Then my bro comes along with his illegal copy that he got from a torrent, and its easier to install and use.
 
It kind of pisses me off, that legit users have to deal with a limited of amount of installs and install a rootkit for a hassle of a game. Then my bro comes along with his illegal copy that he got from a torrent, and its easier to install and use.

Yup, anything but the most basic copy protection is retarded.

People who play pirated copies of the game have the copy protection removed for them, why do they care about how difficult it is to crack? The worst that can happen is that they have to wait a few extra days.

Even the people who write copy protection tend to say that it's worth removing it after the initial launch has finished. They're basically screwing over their legitimate users while the pirates still get to play the game, it's nonsensical.
 
I liked it but ill enjoy it a hell of a lot more the 2nd time i m gonna play it, i must admit i rushed the first time around, just used the guns and none of the special powers doh!
 
^ Uh, all the games arent even out yet. Thats a pretty ignorant thing to say at this time.

And to he OP, yes, I think its over rated. Very good game, but not the 9.5 and 10's it got. 8.5, a possible 9 to me. Too many problems with the game, to be perfect. Not to mention gameplay gets repetitive.
 
^ Uh, all the games arent even out yet. Thats a pretty ignorant thing to say at this time.

And to he OP, yes, I think its over rated. Very good game, but not the 9.5 and 10's it got. 8.5, a possible 9 to me. Too many problems with the game, to be perfect. Not to mention gameplay gets repetitive.

Oh gee I'm sorry, as of right now there is no competition and no games going to be as fleshed out as bioshock with the exception of HL2: ep2. It's ONLY competition if it doesn't suck (which I don't think it will). Nothing else this year will try to get gameplay, graphics, sound direction and narrative story.
 
Maybe you should look HERE and HERE for the answer.

Search is a great tool.

I think its funny how people's opinion change in a month. Its obvious people catch the hype.
 
I thought it was awesome, except the technical issues were inexcusable.

Id give it an 8.5 mostly because of tech problems.
Storyline, immersion, graphics, music, were all 9+ in my book.
 
Short? I actually thought it was one of the longer FPS to date. Not sure how many hours it's suppose to but it's taken me a heck of a lot.
 
Ok before I start getting flamed hear me out. It looks great, has great water effects, great storyline, and is truly a spiritual succesor to system shock two. But frankly the game is rather short, has no multiplayer, and rpg elements are minimal. Did I mention it was really easy?

First of all there is no true customization options. You can't open a inventory. All item customization are on the fly and you really can't stock up on food and health items. The AI while it can be smart works way too much in your favor and the game is frankly way too easy to get through. As much as you can do the game feels dumbed down so that it will appeal to the everyman crowd. Fact is its really lacking in a lot of areas.

Its a pretty good game. But not the best game of the year. And definetly not as great as it is being called...

I definitely have to agree with you about it being to easy. On my first go through on medium difficulty I died like once or twice. I always had more than enough ammo which actually got annoying 'cos of the amount of ammo I had to leave behind, and always had enough medikits and cash. Early on, Eve and pistol ammo was a prob, but once things get going it's never a problem. On my 2nd go through on hard it was a walk in the park. I had full $500 through the last third of the game and always had full ammo for most of the guns. Easier this time simply because I'd truly learnt the game dynamic.

It just seems like it gets harder and harder like any game should and then stops getting anymore so at about the halfway mark. This leaves the last part of the game to be a bit tedious since you just feel invincible and killing big daddies becomes a chore rather than a challenge.


All games these days are too easy though. And yeah, it's totally pandering to lame gamers. Developers know they'll sell more if the game's easier. I'd have really liked it if Bioshock was at least twice as hard and there were points where I'd be genuinely stumped and have to ask, "how the fuck am I gunna do that?". Then a day later I come back with a solution and do it. Good games used to be like this back in the day.
 
Way too easy yeah. Fun but lame b/c I could just coast through it on hard. I know that I am a great twitch player but still. Oh well, COD4 is right around the corner. Look forward to owning the hackers and making them cry about spending $100 on cheats that don't always work. lol

Don't cheat guys. It takes the fun out of accomplishment.
 
I thought the game was fantastic. I got the collectors edition the day it came out (pre order). I beat it through, took my time, took about 3 weeks. Afterwards, I WANTED to play it again. I NEED to see the other ending. The game has a hold of my soul.

I personally think its a fantastic FPS and deserves to go down in history next to Half-Life.
 
Maybe you should look HERE and HERE for the answer.

Search is a great tool.

I think its funny how people's opinion change in a month. Its obvious people catch the hype.
Nah, it's just too easy to hit that New Thread button. We did have 15 of 20 threads on the first page the day Bioshock was released deal with the game. One more little teensy weensy thread cannot hurt. Especially when it is filled with such original content.
 
Nah, it's just too easy to hit that New Thread button. We did have 15 of 20 threads on the first page the day Bioshock was released deal with the game. One more little teensy weensy thread cannot hurt. Especially when it is filled with such original content.

That's true. I guess I was just grumpy this morning :D
 
GOTY awards (and I use that word loosely) really dont mean jack.

Its all about business. A game gets a GOTY slapped onto it and all of a sudden, they SELL more product, which in turn, is why these things are done.

What I mean by that is.....

How many of you "voted" the game for GOTY? If not you, then who? Other game magazines? Stores? What do game mags and stores have in common? They want to sell you a product and with some people, they wont buy a game unless its a contender for GOTY.

Then, if you did vote.....how do you know your vote had any impact in the "winner"? Quick answer is.....you dont.

Yet, they still manage to sell a shitload of boxes, because of the hype. This is why I dont rush out and buy the latest game. I usually wait several months, play a free demo. Later on, I can get the game for half cost and still have all the fun everyone else had or didnt have.

Dont "buy" into the hype...it usually isnt worth it.
 
Its amazing that these types of threads are still popping up a month and a half later. Anyways, I thought the Bioshock was good in the way that a movie or book is good. However, TF2 reminded me that a good game isn't just about moving through an interesting plot.
 
Bio-SUCK is more like it. Halfway cool at first, then repetitive. Hate the BS protection. Hate the stupid no SM2.0 support. I think the developers were pedo-bear fans or something. What's with the little girls and big daddys motif?

Give me MOH Airborne any day over this tripe!
 
Bio-SUCK is more like it. Halfway cool at first, then repetitive. Hate the BS protection. Hate the stupid no SM2.0 support. I think the developers were pedo-bear fans or something. What's with the little girls and big daddys motif?

Give me MOH Airborne any day over this tripe!

Aha you lost everyone at the take MOH pver BS comment. Bioshock was overhyped. It was a GOOD game, thats that, nothing more.

MOH on the other hand took about 3 hours to beat, had shitty AI, shitty controls and aiming, shitty objectives and was a huge disappointment overall.
 
Yep, Airborne is a disappointment/short, but as stated I still like it better. Didn't have any problems with the controls/aiming, AI wasn't the best, but at least they attacked! I've had some games where you could walk right up to someone and they wouldn't notice!
 
Its amazing that these types of threads are still popping up a month and a half later. Anyways, I thought the Bioshock was good in the way that a movie or book is good. However, TF2 reminded me that a good game isn't just about moving through an interesting plot.

I agree.

Just got thru playing TF for a few hours. Its very simplistic. Grab a gun and shoot ANYTHING thats the other color. Very easy, yet, VERY DAMN FUN!!!!!
 
According to Add/Remove Programs, BioShock has long been in a state of "rarely" status.

Hope that answers your question :)
 
I uninstalled it after about 4 weeks, having only played it for 1 of the 4. I hope the other mega-hyped games on the way don't disappoint.
 
Nah, it's just too easy to hit that New Thread button. We did have 15 of 20 threads on the first page the day Bioshock was released deal with the game. One more little teensy weensy thread cannot hurt. Especially when it is filled with such original content.

Are you suggesting we make a maze of some sorts, so that every time someone wants to make a new thread, you must venture through it?
 
It was a good game... while it lasted.

The story was great while you're playing it, keeping you reeled in and all, but in retrospect, it doesn't make sense at times (what did Atlas/Fontaine need the sub for if his nonexistant family wasn't in it? He has tons of splicers at his disposal, and if the bad ending is any indication of how many submarines are available, well... there's plenty).

The gameplay was great as well. I never actually played any of the previous -Shock games, but I have played Deus Ex and Invisible War so I have a little bit of experience with the whole genetic recoding thing, and it was really well done in BioShock. There were some things that kind of soured the experience overall, though... such as the damn hacking minigame. It became such a chore halfway through the game... ughh. Also, I absolutely HATED how accurate the Splicers were with their guns. Why didn't we have a "spot-on accuracy" plasmid if they did? Bah!!

Lastly, the game pretty much fell apart in the final two chapters... resulting in a "fetch" game for the Big Daddy suit, blah blah.... and the final battle was the most anticlimatic battle in the history of videogames. Okay, maybe not that bad... but still.

All in all, yes, BioShock was overrated. Still, it was a good game for the most part, and kept me hooked for the 3 days I played it.

GOTY? Hell no. That title still belongs to God of War II, if you ask me.
 
Bioshock was pretty good. I had to force myself to finish it though. I remember when i first got half life 2, or F.E.A.R. I was totally sucked in to those games. I played them beginning to end and loved it. Bioshock, i had to force myself to go back to the game and finish it just because of how awesome everyone said it was. I think bioshock is a good game overall, but it wasn't spectacularly special. and also the ending sucked.

I think the hype came about from people who think halo is the best FPS franchise, which seems to be most gamers currently. Those people have never played the great shooters like half life, nolf 2, etc. so they were blown away by bioshock.
 
Are you suggesting we make a maze of some sorts, so that every time someone wants to make a new thread, you must venture through it?
If by maze you mean search function, then yes. Of course, that also means thread starters should name their threads appropriately, but that's a whole new discussion.
 
If by maze you mean search function, then yes. Of course, that also means thread starters should name their threads appropriately, but that's a whole new discussion.

I definitely just meant maze, like Candyland, :).
 
I agree with you. Bioshock, as great as it is, has been a bit overhyped. Still, they deserve it this time around, considering that System Shock 2 was an even better game, and most people never heard of it, thus it sold very poorly. At least they are making sales this time!

Still, I find it a bit ironic that this thread is called "Bioshock overhyped?" with a game like Halo 3 out....
 
Bioshock is good but not great... It would of been great if it included and very complete and well done multiplayer aspect to the game.
 
I really wanted to like Bio shock just can't get into it. I purchased a Xbox 360 just for Halo 3 loved playing it gone through it 3 times already. I still enjoy Halo

Enjoying TF2 a lot

What is it about Bio I don't like maybe it is if you don't just stand in the right place your can't hack a turret maybe the controls of switching plasmoids or switching weapons and ammo types.

Game of the Year? don't think so. should have only gotten a 8.5. Did someone pay off the gamers mags? I don't know don't really care just wish I hadn't wasted my money on it. But this is my opinion which isn't worth much.
 
Well, personally I think a lot of the hype was from that fact that bioshock was one of the first of many highly anticipated games to be released. I mean, we didn't have too many releases on the pc the last year, so the first big one to actually arrive is going to get lots of attention.
 
Game of the Year? don't think so. should have only gotten a 8.5. Did someone pay off the gamers mags? I don't know don't really care just wish I hadn't wasted my money on it. But this is my opinion which isn't worth much.
A score of 85% is a waste of your money? Damn.
 
A score of 85% is a waste of your money? Damn.

Seriously, you're not gonna have too many choices with an attitude like that.

Bioshock is great, I'm loving it so far, the only game this year that I've really been able to get into.
 
I will not be buying any more Bioshock games, or any games from Irrational for that matter. Bioshock installed a secret rootkit on my PC without asking for permission (even the fucking demo did it, who's gonna pirate the demo?), they never told us about the limited installation scheme before we bought the game, the widescreen was fucked up and still is unless you use the hack and play in dx9 mode, and the mouse control is completely BROKEN. Not a single review i read before the game was released at retail mentioned any of these problems but they were blatantly obvious to regular people as soon as we started playing and the forums went crazy, seems like 2k made sure we would only hear positive things (didnt take-two blacklist Gamespot for a while for not giving GTA-something a 100% score?). I was lucky as a friend is a manager at Gamestop and i was able to return the game and get my money back, 2k fooled me once but i promise you it will never happen again. Too many good PC games with proper mouse control and widescreen support that dont install secret bullshit DRM on your PC or lie to us about installtion limits are coming out this fall to bother with Bioshit.
 
I purchased the game because I was a fan of system shock 2. I thought overall the game was well done. I did not really listen to any of the hype I just went and bought it.


Sure I would change a couple of things here or there. Difficulty was OK except for the fact that there were vita-chambers. Should have made you at least drop your weapons or what-not.
 
Back
Top