BioShock makes me want to buy a 360

God it was truely depressing to see how poorly this ran on my 7900 GS.

I was still dillusional in thinking that @ the lowest settings, I would play at acceptable framerates @ 1440x900.

Certaintly not the case. I'm just glad I was able to find this out playing the demo. I was contemplating just picking up the PC version @ wal-mart because of the whole download mirror fiasco for the PC demo.

I guess it's officially time to admit to myself that I need to invest in an Xbox 360 to play this game. I just wish Unreal Tournament 3 would support keyboard and mouse. I would be on a 360 like a pig on slop.

Oh well. I hope everyone enjoys the experience on 8800s and is enjoying the game on their 360's. I am jealous!

Perhaps I'll spend some greenbacks tomorrow for a 360 rig.

Any other worthwhile titles you think I would absolutely HAVE to pick up if I were to purchase a 360 tomorrow?

could just spend the money you are about to spend on a 360 on a new graphics card. say a 8800gts.

This would be true if I was running a desktop setup. Unfortunately I have a laptop, which locks me out of those type of upgrades.

I was still dillusional in thinking that @ the lowest settings, I would play at acceptable framerates @ 1440x900.

Certaintly not the case. I'm just glad I was able to find this out playing the demo. I was contemplating just picking up the PC version @ wal-mart because of the whole download mirror fiasco for the PC demo.

I guess it's officially time to admit to myself that I need to invest in an Xbox 360 to play this game. I just wish Unreal Tournament 3 would support keyboard and mouse. I would be on a 360 like a pig on slop.

Oh well. I hope everyone enjoys the experience on 8800s and is enjoying the game on their 360's. I am jealous!

Any other worthwhile titles you think I would absolutely HAVE to pick up if I were to purchase a 360 tomorrow?
I ran it max settings at 1440x900 flawlessly, I have a 7900gs. So it's not your graphics card.

I say go for it. I'm a PC gamer and will soon be a 360 gamer too because of the excellent games that either wont be released on PC or wont be out for a while.

I ran it max settings at 1440x900 flawlessly, I have a 7900gs. So it's not your graphics card.

What graphic details were you running? Did you do anything special to make it play better? What drivers are you using? What OS?

I can turn off everything and get it to run decently enough until the "security countdown" thing starts in the demo. Then I can barely move my mouse to aim the pistol at Splicers.

You have me wondering what is going wrong now. It seems to run poorly even at the lowest settings .. which would imply that perhaps I need to adjust something,

Get a nice 42"+ LCD TV and an Xbox 360. I was a PC gamer for a long time and now I have seen the light.

Bioshock looks awesome on the Xbox 360 btw.

Get a nice 42"+ LCD TV and an Xbox 360. I was a PC gamer for a long time and now I have seen the light.

Bioshock looks awesome on the Xbox 360 btw.

qft....same here. I have a 7900gs in my xps700, and while I can play the demo on medium to high settings at 1280x800, I must admit the 360 demo looks, plays, & sounds amazing. I have a 42" DLP hooked up to my 360, and sitting in my dark living room, on my couch, with surround sound playing bioshock is awesome. The experience is more immersing & cinematic in that setting.

Even at the higher settings on the PC, there isn't a noticeable difference in graphics. Maybe if you compared screenshots or something, but who plays like that?

I had an 8800gts, but found myself playing my 360 more than my pc...so the 8800 wasn't justified....it had to go :(

I'm in a unique situation where I have both my PC (8800GTX) and my 360 both hooked up to my TV. I was a skeptic of the PC version of Bioshock, but the demo actually runs pixel for pixel better than the 360 with all of the details jacked as high as they'll go, vsync on, and 1920X1080. It's a game that they really did put some effort into making the PC version run well.
Plus, you can always use the 360 controller with the PC version...essentially making it the same game.
Anyway in your situation, with a laptop...that's a tough situation. With upgrading not really being an option at the moment and 360's dropping in price, you might consider that purchase.

I have a 360 and a desktop computer, and game on both. Unfortunately my computer will not run a majority of new games, or at least won't run many of them well. I could spend hundreds of dollars on some various upgrades, but since I already own the 360, I'll just spend 50-60 bucks on the Xbox version, and not look back. The 360 demo of Bioshock was quite good in my opinion, and I have no problem getting that version over the PC.

Since you're using a laptop your options are very limited. I don't think you'd be dissapointed with the purchase of a 360, with the current lineup of games, and some of the games coming in the next few months. There will be plenty to play. Just try and get a system with the latest hardware updates (which at the moment don't include the 65nm processor), but you might be able to find the systems with the added heatsink.

I played the demo on the 360, I was sure wishing for a keyboard and mouse!
I'll be picking this up for PC.

Exact same here.

I'd buy an 8800GTS before an XBox 360, but I'm amazed at the wide performance gulf between the lowest-end 8800 cards and the highest-end 7800/7900 cards.

Well Gears of War might not run very well on your laptop either, so I'd suggest that. Crackdown is a lot of fun, in my opinion too. Viva Pinata might not be your thing, but you'd be surprised at how fun it is. Plus I think you can get it for like 20-30 dollars these days. Rainbow Six Vegas is another great game, though it's also on the PC, so perhaps you've played it. When it comes to Xbox Live Arcade, Geometry Wars! :)

Well I just compared the xbox360 demo to my aging gaming PC (amd althon overclocked to 2.4 ghz/~3400+? and an AGP x850xt, 1GB gig ddr400) I am definitely impressed by the xbox360 version. It definitely has some AA, AF, and Vsnyc applied which all combined gave the game a much slicker look than my aging PC. I am sure my 32" HDTV vs. my 22" LCD helped my imo too.

The PC BioShock demo definitely emphasizes how annoying PC gaming can be though. First I had to find a good place to download this 1.8GB demo. Then I installed the game and it didn't work, so I had to go download the new ATI drivers and find the patch for BioShock. I finally fix the video card issue, only to find out my Audigy sound card drivers needed to be updated too because they were giving me sound anomalies. So, even after downloading the demo, it took me another hour of downloading and installing updates and drivers before I could even play the PC demo.

My favorite xbox360 games: Gears of War, Dead Rising, Comdemned. Plus, I love xbl arcade and have purchased just over 40 arcade games. The added xbl online support for these older arcade games is the best.

i feel you man. id get the pc version for kb/m support but i only have a 9800 pro. im not even gonna think about running the game on that. there's some good 360 games out and coming out. the ut3 issue on the 360 sucks tho, and i really wish xbox owners would have gotten the same deal as ps3 owners, but thats ms fault. i only did pc gaming for about 2-3 years when i got my 9800 pro. it was way too expensive then and its way too expensive now

its funny to me how much people are like, wow this game was coded really well because it runs so nice on my 640mb 8800 video card.

no shit. thats the best card on the market. every game runs well on that.

what's nice, is seeing people with 7600GTs and an A64 that are able to push some damn decent settings.

what's nice, is seeing people with 7600GTs and an A64 that are able to push some damn decent settings.
I'd like to meet them, because a mad overclocked 7900GS isn't playable on the lowest possible [ugly as sin] settings at 1680x1050.

Well, My Rig could play the game kick ass, and I have a 360, both of wish are hooked up to my 2407 so it's a toss up.

It's a PC game. Too often people are complaining that something doesn't run well on their 3 year old video card and their gen-1 P4. IMO, if you're expecting to run anything over 1280X1024 with a new game, you should expect to have a high-end 7-series card or better. If you're at a larger res than that (which many people whining are), you should expect to have a card that can push it. PC gaming isn't cheap, that's life.

It's a PC game. Too often people are complaining that something doesn't run well on their 3 year old video card and their gen-1 P4. IMO, if you're expecting to run anything over 1280X1024 with a new game, you should expect to have a high-end 7-series card or better. If you're at a larger res than that (which many people whining are), you should expect to have a card that can push it. PC gaming isn't cheap, that's life.
The game is unplayable over 1280x1024 with a high-end 7-series card.

Have you tried the lates beta drivers? Those are suppose to offer a huge performance increase.

Nice troll. I take it the millions of 360 owners out there who have had no problems are playing with imaginary machines right now.

What about the millions of 360 owners who have had failed consoles? You're carrying blind loyalty a little too far. The 360 is clearly the most unreliable console ever made. It's reliability is at least 10 times worse than its competitors.
A Tale of 11 Broken Xbox 360s

You're carrying blind loyalty a little too far. The 360 is clearly the most unreliable console ever made. It's reliability is at least 10 times worse than its competitors.
I don't own a 360 my good man. Nor do I disagree that the 360 is unreliable. What's BS is his statement which makes out that all 360s die.

Oh, and for the record I know someone who has had 5 broken PS3s. Luck just works that way sometimes.

well m8 if your gonna get a 360, your gonna have mass effect.......enough is said :D

Buying Bioshock the game - $50
Buying the hardware to run Bioshock - $300
Playing Bioshock - Priceless.

There are some things money cant buy, for everything else theres

OMG THERES A SPLICER RIGHT BEHIND YOU AHHHHHHOMGWTFWTFWTFTHISGAMEISSOOGOODKKTTYL

I just got done playing BioShock 6 hours straight. GET THIS GAME! Whether its on the PC or xbox360 does not matter. This game definitely captures your attention and immerses you within the environment.

If playing on the PC make sure you purchase at least have the recommend requirement hardware and don't cheat yourself (at least double the price of the xbox360).

You haven't experienced Bioshock until you play it on a 42" plasma with surround sound.:cool: I can't imagine the pc version looking much better than what I'm getting..

You haven't experienced Bioshock until you play it on a 42" plasma with surround sound.:cool: I can't imagine the pc version looking much better than what I'm getting..

I agree using an HDTV is much better option after comparing the demo running on my pc's 22" LCD. You can do this with a PC too, but its definitely not plug&play and probably requires you to setup your computer in an odd area.

I can afford to buy a High end pc gpu and the game, but I cant afford a 360 and a 42" plasma :(

I would just like to say that this game friggin' rocks. Only 1 hour in though, friggin' obligations...

It's not really. I've played 'em both (at least the 360's demo) on my TV and the difference is minimal. The PC version will do native 1080p and it has more lighting effects, BUT it also chugs a little in some areas. The 360 version has vsnyc disabled, but if when I turned it off on the PC I get a lot more screen tearing.
If you showed someone both of them back to back, I doubt most people would notice.
One cool thing about the PC version is that it uses the 360 pad. If you turn off the vsync, set the res to 720p, and pull out your 360 pad...it's more or less the same game if you have the hardware to run it.
One annoying thing about the PC version is mouse support. It won't let you do much with the sensitivity setting and no matter what you do it always feels a little "delayed." In all honesty, it's a shooter that plays equally well on a pad because of this.

having all three gaming platforms...

PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

I'd say without a question pick up a Xbox360. It's my favorite gaming platform of them all - Period. And ensure to buy a live membership/get online. That makes the console worthwhile.

Back